Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased some Winchester .45 acp back in 2018 on Black Friday... tucked them away and forgot about them. I took some to the range for the first time a few weeks back and started shooting at 7 yards... and couldn't keep them in a 3" circle... shots were all over the place. Took it back to the range the next week... same damn thing. Let a couple of other people at the range shoot it while I was there... shots were all over the place.

Went back yesterday and took another 45 and some different ammo as well. Same thing with the other 45... shots way off... both guns were dead on with the other ammo... even out to 25 yards.

Has anyone ever seen ammo shoot this far off at such a short distance? Some of the shots looked like they were keyholing a bit... even more so further out.

I've shot some ammo in the past that has not been particularly accurate... mainly 9mm... but this crap was shooting extremely bad.

Thanks.

·
Registered
18,668 Posts
I've also had bad luck with the WWB ammo both in accuracy and basic quality. Crushed cases, inconsistent lengths.

I reload so don't buy much 45 but when I do because I want to run factory I avoid the Winchester White Box ammo.

·
Registered
7,064 Posts
Yes.

I usually find this to be either unique box, lot, or - more the case - unique-gun to ammo interactions.

Not just WWB. Virtually every range-fodder grade ammo.

·
Registered
170 Posts
That’s what’s called “service grade”.
Reliable but, not necessarily accurate. It’s made to work in any .45 cal weapon (and I know most are) but, is generally deemed a budget line of ammo.
I notice you didn’t mention any FTF’s so I guess it did it’s job as advertised.
I had some of the same stuff in 9mm and it shot like crap except in my old browning high power copy, that gun loved that stuff. I got mine cause I liked the box and still have it, use it for storing some gun parts but, I sent all the ammo down range to the dirt gods.

Or simply put, like TSiWRX said, range fodder.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I've been shooting a 45 since the early 70's... and have never seen ammo this inaccurate... especially at such a close distance. I've had a few boxes of 9mm that wasn't particularly accurate... but have never shot anything this bad. Just glad it wasn't me or the gun. ;)

Thanks y'all.

·
Registered
9,513 Posts
I had some Matech range ammo that was spraying all over the place... I blew through it all with a few different guns (same results) and never did a forensic analysis so I don't know what the problem was... just never bought it again.

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
Brown Bear did a number on my xd9. It was so dirty after 100 rounds the the gun wouldn't cycle.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I used Winchester Service Grade ammo from 2018 in my HK USP45 and I didnt notice anything wrong, it was a little hotter than normal 45 range ammo, since it's service grade, it's good ammo.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Haven't shot the .45 acp ammo.

I bought a box of the 115 grain FMJ to shoot in my AR15 carbine. Dirty. DIRTY. Ammo that grouped poorly compared to the Federal 115 grain FMJ or my reloads. Won't buy more unless I can't find brass anywhere and need some brass for reloading.

On the other hand, the Win. 124 grain FMJ NATO ammo shoots better in my M&P 2.0 5" than anything else I've tried - and I've tried a lot.

Same for the FNS .40. Best shooting ammo so far is the Winchester 180 gran FMJ and 180 grain hollow points (both in the white boxes and fairly cheap ammo). I'm about to give up on the FNS and "safe it."

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I've read about inexpensive .45 not really tumbling, but wobbling occasionally. Could be jacket delamination or inconsistency of the back end of the bullet. If you are getting lots of copper when cleaning, I would guess it has something to do with the jacket. Either way, life is too short to shoot a particular brand of cheap ammo if it doesn't work properly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts