Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While praciticing today for tomorows USPSA match, my XD-9 Tactical which is set up for USPSA, and has been used quite succesfully in two matches and many practice sessions, had repeated failures to cock following auto cycling. I was able to repeat this many times and I couldn't see what the problem was. I also had one slam fire. :shock: in the middle of practice. Don't know what could have caused that. I always practice safe muzzle control, so it was no problem. The failure to cock problem happened so often that it's sure to happen in the match tomorrow, so I'll be going to my CZ-85 for tomorrows match until I get the XD tac problems straightened out.

I think I need to open her up and look at the firing pin, striker, etc.

Anybody have this happen, hear of this, or have any ideas on what could be wrong?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Sounds like a gunked up (stuck) firing pin.

Don't bet the farm on it, but....

If the thing slam fires and can't (won't) cock. It sure sound like something is keeping / forcing the pin forward.
(Big problem w/ SKS types)

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
It may be a broken roll pin that holds the striker. Once broke it could jam the striker forward and cause the slam fire. It is a 3mm x 16mm roll pin and can often be found at a local hardware or autoparts store.
The disassembly info will show you were that part it.
If that is the culprit and you can't source some out send me an email and I'll hook you up! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Check to make sure the sear is moving freely. If it is sticking in the down position, it would not cock. If it partially stuck it could just snag the striker, yet not hold it when the slide slams closed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I stripped it down to the extractor (leaving the extractor) but see nothing unusual (to me), it wasn't even very dirty, with the possible exception that, there were some brass flakes in the firing pin tube, and the ejector has quite a bit of side-to-side play. I'm afraid that I see nothing which strikes me as the cause for the failure to cock problems.

What parts are involved in cocking anyway? Could someone describe the details.

Also, how do the firing pin safety mechanisms work and why wouldn't they have prevented a slam fire?

On a more positive note, I shot my USPSA match today with my new (stock) CZ-85 Combat and did quite well, probably better than I would have done with my XD-9 tactical even with it's 2 lb trigger, tungsten insert and fiber optic sights.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
The firing pin would have had to be stick in the forward position. I would really have a smith take a look at it. You mentioned a two pound trigger I would have who ever did the trigger job take a look at it especially since you did not find anything out of the ordinary. You may have a timing issue but someone who knows xds would have to look at it. the ejector does wiggle thats alright.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Eager said:
On a more positive note, I shot my USPSA match today with my new (stock) CZ-85 Combat and did quite well, probably better than I would have done with my XD-9 tactical even with it's 2 lb trigger, tungsten insert and fiber optic sights.
Congrats on you performance. Yup, the CZ is a great gun, quite common in european ISPC circles. The only thing I do not like the 85 Combat is the adjustable sights, kept cutting my hand while racking the slide. It is the wife's gun (I shoot a CZ-75B)and she agreed, we replaced them with fixed tritium night sights. Works just fine now. Not sure adjustable sights are a good thing in combat on a handgun anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts