Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Snake-eater 1 said:
Kinda puts stories about XDs rusting to shame, doesn't it!
ya, whats so damn funny about it is this guy posting the pictures is a Police Officer.....And even HE says "the gun is done, it will never fire another bullet" when someone asked him if it could be cleaned and then fired.

and as if it couldn't get any better, I am only on the 3rd page yet so far but everyone who posts is like...there MUST have been something else in the drain, thats bullshit, that was no ordinary storm drain, some people must have been dumping chemicals or something in that sewer.

and then as if it couldnt get any better!!! people accuse the pictures as being fake!!! I think someone said, those dont look like ordinary rust patterns...LMAO!!! :D

·
Registered
885 Posts
XD 40 mike said:
...there MUST have been something else in the drain, thats bullshit, that was no ordinary storm drain, some people must have been dumping chemicals or something in that sewer.
People making these statements obviously do not live where they salt the roads. Also I use calcium chloride on my driveway in the winter and it goes right down the drain with the melt off.

Unbelievable these people on that forum. Such asshats. I would own a Glock if I ever thought the deal was right. However, I would never, ever go to Glocktalk for anything except maybe a laugh....

·
Registered
94 Posts
I frequent glocktalk and there are alot of glock fanboys on there. I love my glock as much as the nest guy, but I completely beleive it. People saying stuff about other people leaving thier glock at the bottom of a lake an d such, it rsuts faster when it isn't completely submereged. It's called OXIDATION for a reason. It rusts faster if you submerge it in a salty solution then let it dry, then repeat the process. That can and does happen in Indiana storm drains. the salt juck form the roads melts off into the storm drains then it dries. It also doesn't help that Indiana has snow storms in between 60-70 degree weather. It literally went from mid 70s to 30s and light snow in 2 DAYS, about 2 weeks ago. We are jsut now creeping back up into the 50s and 60s again.

Our crappy weather+storm drain+beat up lost cop-issue glock= 1 rusty ass glock.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Amen. I was stunned people didn't believe him on that forum. Glocks are great guns, and Tenifer is tops. No argument from me. However, to blindly believe they are immune to basic chemistry is beyond insane. Our beloved XD's would have started rusting earlier, and been unusable at two years as well. They got defensive as if they couldn't believe a Glock would ever, ever do that to them. WOW! I wish I could create a product that had such mindless zombies endlessly praise the fact that I am without fault!

I live in Indiana too, and I can attest that stainless steel rusts can even rust here (never had a firearm rust, just other stuff). Very slowly, but nothing containing steel is permanently immune to mother nature. Period. Not even our beloved Glocks (I have a G17 and an XD, both make me happy, and I refuse to drink the Kool-aid from either camp, although the Kool-aid is very, very rarely offered over here!).

·
Registered
239 Posts
Two years in a drain with do in any kind of metal object, no matter what it's coated with.

I really wish XD's had the same finish as Glocks though. Not that I have any problems with my finish, its just the Tenifer finish seems to hold up better than the XD's.

Just imagine how many more people would buy XD's if the rust problem completely disappeared.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Shnozzer-xd-9 said:
Two years in a drain with do in any kind of metal object, no matter what it's coated with.

I really wish XD's had the same finish as Glocks though. Not that I have any problems with my finish, its just the Tenifer finish seems to hold up better than the XD's.

Just imagine how many more people would buy XD's if the rust problem completely disappeared.
I was just thinking the same thing about my $700 SIG. That gun is freaking awesome, but come on. For $700 they could at least put a decent finish on it.

I say almost every guns should have either the Glock tennifer/black phosphate finish or the HK HE black finish, they are both awesome finishes.

·
Premium Member
28,484 Posts

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Wasn't this posted over in the NON-XD talk area about a month ago? I have not yet had any finish issues with my XD, but I am not going to bury it in a sewer for two years to find out either.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
manygunner said:
Wasn't this posted over in the NON-XD talk area about a month ago?
Yes it was. I love the people that think it's a fake.

Scenario one: The gun was stolen and ditched in a storm drain for 2 years. It came out rusty.

Scenario two: The guy either buys a perfectly good gun, or fabricates a incredibly good looking fake. The guy then goes Hollywood special effects on it, wasting his time and money just to yank some chains.

Occham's Razor, folks.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
manygunner said:
Wasn't this posted over in the NON-XD talk area about a month ago? I have not yet had any finish issues with my XD, but I am not going to bury it in a sewer for two years to find out either.
yes, reposttastic :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Holy crap, I think it says something about the good quality of Glock's finish when people don't believe that a Glock rusted when it was IN A SEWER FOR TWO FREAKING YEARS! :shock: :shock:

I think the slide of an XD would've dissolved after 2 days in the sewer. :D

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
SKeefe said:
I think the slide of an XD would've dissolved after 2 days in the sewer. :D
And not one of us insist it was a fake...

·
Registered
782 Posts
I doubt the XD would fare much better but sheesh man, at least we wouldn't refuse to believe it!

What a bunch of crazy zealot fanboys.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts