Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've reciently finished my rifle with the intention of competing. Now I need to select some ammo to begin practicing. I'm assuming I want to practice with the same ammo i plan to shoot in matches. I'm looking for all the help I can get!

I'm posting my rifles set up in hopes it will help with ammo selection suggestions.

Parts List:

Mega Stripped Forged Lower Receiver MagPul MOE Milspec Stock

MagPul Butt Pad .70 (original is .30)

Primary Weapons Systems (Mil-Spec) Enhanced Buffer Tube (reduces carrier speed by an average of 10%)

Spikes Tactical ST-T2 Heavy Buffer

Superior Shooting Systems AR15 Buffer Spring ( CS springs are duty rated for 500,000 compression cycles at maximum performance)

MagPul MOE Trigger Guard

MagPul MOE Grip

CMMG LPK (opted not to use trigger/hammer group)

Rock River Arms 2 Stage National Match Trigger Kit

Superior Shooting Systems National Match Trigger and Hammer Spring Set

KNS Gen 2 Mod 2 SS (Black Non rotation) Pins

BCM GunFighter Latch (Mod 4)

Troy Industries’ Di-Optic Aperture (DOA) Folding Rear BattleSight

Troy TRX Standard 9" Battle Rail (Free Float)

MagPul 30 Round Mags (FDE) X3

MagPul AFG 2 (FDE)

Rainer Arms Extreme Tactical Compensator

BCM SS410 (Stainless Steel Iobond Black) 16" Mid Length Upper Assembly

Thanks-Jason

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
It might be worth just getting some decent practice ammo and getting your fundamentals down. You didn't say what level of skill you have but if you are new to rifles and matches I would focus on skills and then upgrade the ammo. Factory match ammo is expensive. The .308 match ammo I shoot runs $1.10 a round by the case. Once you have the fundamentals down then I would invest in better ammo. You've got good gear but most factory rifles are better than the shooter. A decent factory barrel with decent ammo will shoot under 2". Even cheap surplus should get you under 3". Good match ammo will take that down to 1" or lower which is good enough for an AR match rifle. So, until you can consistently shoot 2", i would just get decent target ammo.

As to brands, every gun is different so the only want to know what's best in your rifle is to buy a box of each and try them until you find one that groups best.

You didn't mention what types of matches you will be shooting. For over 300 yards, I would spend some time dry firing. For tactical matches, spend some time positional shooting (barricade, prone, left hand, sitting, etc).

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks thats exactly the information i'm looking for! I plan to get into 3 Gun eventually. But i'm missing a key component a shotgun... So for now i'm going to try to find matches that would be similiar in style to 3 Gun to work on my technique and improve skill sets. This is my first rifle ever and I have very limited experience.
I don't think i'll be shooting out past 300 yards much other then occassinally to see how I do. Unless it has a benefit to my short game?
One of the things i'm not sure on is what grain to use. I'm guessing that I need to try various ones to see what suits me and rifle the best with out going broke in the process. I'm not very brand savy on what to use and what to stay away from. Not going to use Wolf or Silver Bear. I was thinking of trying XM193 and I'd like to use some Lake City ammo if i can find it at a reasonable price.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
All good gear. Just grab some decent stuff and put some rounds downrange to learn the rifle. I'd also suggest going to watch some matches and talking to the folks shooting them. I learned more from watching and competing in my first match than in several years of shooting. You will see what gear works for folks before buying a bunch of stuff that won't work. Weight is also key so don't start hanging a bunch of kool crap off that nice stick.

I see you are proud of that rifle but I hope you are not looking to have a pretty rifle for long. Once you start shooting matches and really working your gear, it's gets scratched and bumped pretty good. Let's you know you are using it the way it was intended. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.