Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have enjoyed shooting my XDM9 4.5 this past year. It has let me get back into handgunning after many years. I can place all my shots on a paper plate at 25 yards with no problem and in a three inch circle at 10 yards. I now want to buy a 45 cal.
I have shot Kimber full size and the compact (3 in.) and also an HK 45. I really love my XDM 9 - trigger and ergonomics. Is there any reason that I should not just get another XDM? Are there any other 45's that I should try? I think that I will order the factory nightsights and black on black like my 9. Is there any practical reason to get the two-tone other than the bling?
Thanks.
Bushy

·
Registered
1,540 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
I would also get a 1911.
Also i would look at the XD Tactical.

·
Registered
29,597 Posts
Yep. If you're going to get a .45, get a 1911. Just decide how much you want to spend, and base your decision accordingly.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
My 2cents
I have a 9XDM, a 45 XD Tac, and a PT1911 45. I carry the XD 45 most of the time. The PT1911 is more accurate then the XD45. I still can't get an accurate load for the 9XDM. I don't carry the PT1911 because I don't want to think about the manual safety if I need to use it in a high stress situation.
BTW just to brag a little. This was shot (off the bench, I'm not that good) 10 rounds using the XD45 at 15 yards.

·
Premium Member
127,161 Posts
Definitely pick up a 1911.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm right there with ya on the .45, as I already have my Polymer, Revolver, and Shotgun category taken care of. I figure it is time to go 1911, and have pretty much decided on the STI Spartan, as it is a full size 1911 frame, and won't hit me with too high an upfront price. I can add any bells and whistles as time (and money) allows.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses. OK. It looks like the real issue is 1911's versus the plastic guns. It seems to me that the pros and cons are:

1911 pros - great tradition, accurate
cons - big, heavy, low mag capacity

Plastic pros - lighter, high mag capacity, reliability?

I am looking for a 45 for home SD and to carry concealed in a fanny type pack when hiking in border (Mex) areas and in areas with mountain lions. My wife and I spend several months each year camping in remote areas in our truck camper. I am a good shot with the nine and I would like to be just as good with a 45.

Thanks for comments,
Bushy

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
my XDM 45 is awesome and accurate as hell.........just got back from defensive training with it doing training on all sorts of "real world scenario" self defense situations........everyone that tried the gun loved it

·
Registered
1,013 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
I would take a long hard look at the Range Officer 1911.
Better yet go shoot one.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
One aspect is plastic vs 1911 steel, but to get a high cap .45 in 1911 pattern that is not full of MIM (some say junk) parts you need to spend some serious cha-ching.

Here's a nice 1911 with about every thing included (even high capacity mag)
STI International - The STI

But you can buy 3 XDm 45's for the same $$

·
Registered
503 Posts
Have the XDm 45 and love it, but my next one will be a 1911 unless they come out with a single stack melted profile XDm.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I may be the only guy out there that doesn't like the 1911's..... I shoot them VERY well, (especially the Kimbers!!) :) .... but, they don't fit my hands well, and I've tried a lot of them. I love my XDM and if I add anything else to my "family" it will most likely be another Xd/XDM.

You've gotta try 'em to see what you like best. My .02.

·
Registered
29,597 Posts
I may be the only guy out there that doesn't like the 1911's..... I shoot them VERY well, (especially the Kimbers!!) :) .... but, they don't fit my hands well, and I've tried a lot of them. I love my XDM and if I add anything else to my "family" it will most likely be another Xd/XDM.

You've gotta try 'em to see what you like best. My .02.
If you shoot them well...what difference does it make if it "fits your hand well"?

It's not a pair of gloves, you know.

·
Registered
244 Posts
1911s is my vote as well. go for one that has the lifetime warranty (Springfield)

Two warnings:
1. If you plan on shooting a lot, 45 is significantly more expensive
2. once you pop...you can't stop (ie you'll want more)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all of the great comments. Dang! It looks like I'll have to buy two guns now! I guess that my next thread will be "How Do I Hide Purchases From Spouse?"

·
Registered
408 Posts
You can see my guns in my sig. I have to be honest in that I have not shot a true 1911, although I would really like to. However, my XDm 4.5" .45 is really, really sweet. I can not think of anything negative to say about it...except the ammo is really expensive.

RJ

1 - 20 of 27 Posts