Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble reaching the magazine release. My thumb is just a leeeetle too small to really drop the mag effectively. Most of the problem lies with the fact that the mag catch is "buried" so deep into the grip. Even though I can cover the catch with my thumb, I can't get enough leverage to push the catch in.

You'd think an extended mag release would be just the ticket, but I had bad experiences with Glock extended mag releases. Anytime I wore my gun longer than 3 hours or so, the mag would inevitably pop out. Not acceptable for carry equipment. I 'm wondering. Has anyone had this same problem with the XD extended mag release? Is it recommended on a serious gun?

And if the mag release is prone to popping the mag, would a backstrap reduction allow me to get more thumb on the mag release? There's actually a significant amount that the XD backstrap could be reduced it looks like...

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
I have had a mag pop out twice when I ran into a counter and some how the button got pushed.

How about not using your thumb take advantage of the dual sided mag release. I use either my trigger finger or my middle finger brought back to push the button. You can get real fast with this method and you dont have to twist the pistol in your hand to get your thumb around to push the button in.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sitting here trying it...it's wierd. With my "weak" hand, I can use my index finger but not my thumb. With my strong hand, I can kinda use my thumb, and not my index finger! I don't know why my trigger finger is so weak. The mag catch spring on the XDs is really powerful. Good for reliability... not so good for ergonomics.

Could the spring be tighter from one direction than the other?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have also learned to use the trigger finger on my right hand to drop the magazine. In fact I've become so used to it, the last time I shot my 1911 I had trouble dropping the magazine with my thumb! I agree with the others who've said that the trigger-finger drop is much quicker...and you never need to worry about your finger being on the trigger during a mag change :!:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems to work pretty well with my middle finger, but I still have to shift my grip to get my index and middle on to the mag release. I'll try it for a while, but I'm lazy, and re-training the hand is a bitch. It takes a lot of time to build a habit that you can use in combat. In the meantime, I'll also explore the two options above.

BTW, a full .45 GAP mag is under SO much tension, that the magazine release is impossible to disengage when a full mag is loaded! I have to use two hands to do it. Eck.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ajames is right on. I used to always use my thumb until one day I had an epiphany and said to myself, "Why the hell don't I just use my middle finger?" Helps out on speed tremendously.

·
Registered
823 Posts
The only reason I haven't taken advantage of the ambi-release on my XD is that I still carry primarily 1911s w/o ambi's and I don't want to get confused.

·
Registered
223 Posts
ForGreatJustice said:
I'm sitting here trying it...it's wierd. With my "weak" hand, I can use my index finger but not my thumb. With my strong hand, I can kinda use my thumb, and not my index finger! I don't know why my trigger finger is so weak. The mag catch spring on the XDs is really powerful. Good for reliability... not so good for ergonomics.

Could the spring be tighter from one direction than the other?
Try your middle finger (the one you "give the finger" with). I'm a lefty, and when using Glocks that's how I release the mag.

T

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Only on empty mags. With 7 or more rounds loaded, my middle and index fingers just don't have the strength.

Question about extended mag releases: Bar-Sto vs. Canyon Creek? Bar-Sto's is .175" longer. I'm guess that is overall, and divided amongst the two sides. How much longer (in units) is the Canyon Creek over stock?

I know some people have had experiences like mine where an extended mag release will get mashed inadvertently and accidentally drop the mag. Are there any holsters out there that avoid this? Any that are prone to it?

I'm thinking of getting a mag release and then either shortening it to the *exact* dimension needed to drop a mag, or angling the surface to try and prevent accidentally release. Still, the mag is damn stiff when fully loaded (we're talking the .45GAP here) that it seems like it would never drop out...even if you wanted it to!

I don't suppose a grip reduction would help any? It did for the Glock.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts