Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought my xd-40 used at a pawn shop, the finish is wearing off and i e-mailed SA they said it was not coverd under warrenty. i would have to get in contact with the custom shop for prices. does this sound correct?

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Probably so, the finish will wear with use on ANY gun depending on the amount and type of use it sees. To expect them to honor any type of warranty for the finish on a USED gun is ludicrous in my opinion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ichy_trigger said:
Probably so, the finish will wear with use on ANY gun depending on the amount and type of use it sees. To expect them to honor any type of warranty for the finish on a USED gun is ludicrous in my opinion.
i dont think its "ludicrous" knowing the track record with the finish on these guns we are not talking about "any" guns. i could understand if we were talking about all there products. i got my answere from sa just thought someone might have diifrent info, far from ludicrous

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Just go onto SA's web site and go to the "Custom Shop" page.
It will tell you all the pricing for refinishing.
I would also consider these people BEFORE SA.
Canyon Creek http://www.canyon-creek.com/xd.htm
XD-HS2000.com http://www.xd-hs2000.com/duracoat.html
Tripp Research http://www.trippresearch.com/

Not nec. in that order...just a few links.
MUCH information can be found on ANY of these refinishers on these sights...just hit the search button and away you go.

IMO SA has no responsibility on a used gun finish. Who knows how the last person took care of it..even if the finish is rough the gun should be great for you...enjoy!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the links ill look into it. i ve had the gun about a month it is more accurate than i am, only had one problem it was with the two stage guide rod and spring it wanted to come out of the hole on the muzzle end. i got it back in and working fine

·
Registered
401 Posts
SA will not refinish under warranty a gun that has suffered from normal wear and tear (i.e. holster wear).

Instead of sending it to them for their paint job, I'd recommend finding a local gunsmith to hot blue it. You'll save the cost of shipping, which is not trivial for a handgun.

·
Registered
992 Posts
...and have a look at one of the aftermarket refinishers. I highly recommend Accurate Plating and Weaponry (APW Cogan) or Tripp's Research. I personally think the Custom Shop charges too much for applying the Armory Coat finish, which is more than likely outsourced anyways. I'd cut to the chase and get it done elsewhere where you can pick the finish of your liking and not be stuck with Springfield's offerings. If you like the silver look, Hard Chrome would be nice, and if you prefer black, a Black Chrome finish is reasonably tough as well. On the other hand, you can go with a different color in a polycoat. You have more choices with the aftermarket refinishers, and they have been doing their thing longer than Springfield Armory, Inc.

YMMV,

B9

1 - 7 of 7 Posts