Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
22,357 Posts
How terrible is it to rebarrel an AK? I'm pretty certain this barrel is junk. Maybe it's the ammo (Yugo brass surp) but minute of man is not possible at 300 yards.
6 feet at 300 yards? That is crazy!!!

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
The Yugo surplus shoots good out of my IOinc AK. Sorry that I can't comment on how hard it is to replace an AK barrel. I've never done that before.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
Press out the barrel pin, press out the barrel. no different then building one. Some fitting may be required because barrel hole in the trunnion can be 1 of 5 sizes...0-4. AKM barrels are AKM barrels with only the add ons (FSB, gas block, HG retainer) being different depending on country.

you can use a milled barrel if you turn the threads down and drill it for a pin.

Try shooting it with a buffer and brake before you decide on a barrel swap. It may just be the limp dick Romanian barrel. Some are pretty good and only screw up when hot, some are like that all the time. If you have the ability to slo-mo the rifle being fired, it may be the receiver flexing or trunnion moving too. Seen that a few times...

·
Registered
768 Posts
Wasr's can come with mil surp barrels so it could have been shot out by the time you got it. If it were me I would just use it for a jund/parts gun and get another. N-PAP is an exelent choice. All new rifle only downside IMHO is the barrel is not chrome lined. Other than that the rifle is rock solid.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
Wasr's can come with mil surp barrels so it could have been shot out by the time you got it. If it were me I would just use it for a jund/parts gun and get another. N-PAP is an exelent choice. All new rifle only downside IMHO is the barrel is not chrome lined. Other than that the rifle is rock solid.
It is very rare you find a WaSR sent from the factory with a used barrel. Trunnions and other parts yes, but not many barrels. As a matter of fact, many unissued barrel actions were demil'd to go into the WaSR series.
The 10/63 got the updated trunnion and rivets. They come with new barrels. You may get sent a customer returned/repaired rifle or a rifle that has an out of spec barrel. Remember, they are CHF, which is a huge marketing ploy that AR guys jump all over for being 'tha sh!t', but when the mandrels wear out and the chrome piles up, you get a crappy barrel. It could simply be a factory failure or someone has bump fired it to death.

Chrome is a convenience, not a necessity. Barrels run cooler without the chrome. Nice if you have it, but I don't consider the lack of it a down side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts