Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping to turn my barrel into a stainless or chrome color. what is the best way in doing this? I heard of polishing the black off of it, but I heard that could cause easier rusting. Ajames, can you place a chrome or stainless coting on just the barrel? I really like the way the black XD's look with just the silver barrel. oh and I tried using the "search" option, but it was not working well or something.

-John

·
Registered
889 Posts
It doesn't take much oil to keep it from rusting. I did it to my Tactical gun a couple of months ago and haven't had a problem with rust.
What I used was very, very, very, fine wet-dry sand paper, like down to about 1200 grit, and use some oil when sanding it, and always sand in the same direction.
I know some people also use a Dremel tool, but I' not sure which bits they use. I'm sure some one will let you know which to use.

·
Registered
150 Posts
i polished mine with 1000 grit to get rid of most of the origional finish and used 2000 grit to polish to my desired finish. when i can get my dremel back i will use the buffing wheel to get a simi flawless miror finish, ( nothings perfect) this process takes a lot of arm power so be prepared.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but if Ajames was to re-coat it with the stainless or chrome, will it show wear like the black coated factory barrel does after a while?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Dude... DON'T SAND THE FINISH OFF!! I did it.. it looked so cool in the pictures, and I was bored.. so I did it. Unfortunately you are limiting your ability to fix it once you screw it up.

Something about the finish, (and I admit I don't know much about it from a meteorological point of view)

E-mail Ajames, I am sure he can tell you more about it than I can.. but If I had it to do over again, I would not take the bluing off. Ajames was able to do wonders with the disaster that I made.. It still shoots good, I have no problems with that, but I wish that I hadn't on a whim sanded off the finish.

Raymond

·
Registered
244 Posts
40SWXDSHOOTER said:
It doesn't take much oil to keep it from rusting. I did it to my Tactical gun a couple of months ago and haven't had a problem with rust.
What I used was very, very, very, fine wet-dry sand paper, like down to about 1200 grit, and use some oil when sanding it, and always sand in the same direction.
I know some people also use a Dremel tool, but I' not sure which bits they use. I'm sure some one will let you know which to use.
Used my dremel. Brass polishing wheel. Shines like a mirror, baby! Oh, and no rust either, just oil it after you shoot it (which you should be doing anyway!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts