Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I am debating buying the kit versus buying the components invidulally. I am looking online craigslit, ebay, gun forums, etc for a used press.
RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage Press Master Kit - MidwayUSA
Master Kit Includes:
Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage press
505 scale
Uniflow Powder Measure
Speer Reloading Manual
Hand priming tool with small and large primer plugs
Folding Hex Key Set with 0.050", 1/16", 5/64", 3/32", 7/64", 1/8", 9/64" and 5/32" keys
Universal Case Loading Block, which holds 40 cases in most rifle and pistol calibers
Case Lube Kit, which includes a 2 oz bottle of Case Lube-2, a case lube pad, 2 case neck brushes for .22 through .30 calibers and an accessory handle
Powder Funnel for .22 to .45 caliber, including the Winchester Short Magnum calibers
Chamfer and deburring tool for .17 through .45 caliber

My question is what else do I need other than components to start reloading with this kit?
From reading other forums I have come up with this list:

Digital Calipers
Dies
Reloading Manuals of course
case trimmer
powder trickler
RCBS powder measure stand
shell holders
bullet puller
Redding/Imperial Sizing die wax
deburring tool
Tumber/media

Is the 505 scale good or is there a better or more economical scale?

I have to re read my abc of reloading manual again, but I am getting the funds together for a reloading setup.

I tend to be a little ocd or as the wife puts it "anal retentive" I just hate spending so much money on 223/556 so I've decided I need to reload. I plan to reload 223, 40, 45 acp, and otgrs down the road.

I really appreciate any and all input or suggestions.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Need some more information. Are you getting the RCBS master kit for $287.99? Are you aware they have a $50 rebate for a $300 purchase? I have a similar setup so have some information which I will give after you respond to this one. What kind of bench will you be using, if any?

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Okay I am debating buying the kit versus buying the components invidulally. I am looking online craigslit, ebay, gun forums, etc for a used press.
RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage Press Master Kit - MidwayUSA
Master Kit Includes:
Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage press
505 scale
Uniflow Powder Measure
Speer Reloading Manual
Hand priming tool with small and large primer plugs
Folding Hex Key Set with 0.050", 1/16", 5/64", 3/32", 7/64", 1/8", 9/64" and 5/32" keys
Universal Case Loading Block, which holds 40 cases in most rifle and pistol calibers
Case Lube Kit, which includes a 2 oz bottle of Case Lube-2, a case lube pad, 2 case neck brushes for .22 through .30 calibers and an accessory handle
Powder Funnel for .22 to .45 caliber, including the Winchester Short Magnum calibers
Chamfer and deburring tool for .17 through .45 caliber

My question is what else do I need other than components to start reloading with this kit?
From reading other forums I have come up with this list:

Digital Calipers
Dies
Reloading Manuals of course
case trimmer
powder trickler
RCBS powder measure stand
shell holders
bullet puller
Redding/Imperial Sizing die wax
deburring tool
Tumber/media

I have to re read my abc of reloading manual again, but I am getting the funds together for a reloading setup.

I tend to be a little ocd or as the wife puts it "anal retentive" I just hate spending so much money on 223/556 so I've decided I need to reload. I plan to reload 223, 40, 45 acp, and otgrs down the road.

The Speer reloading manual in included which will get you started.
The measure comes with a flush mount bracket so you may not need the stand. The 505 scale is good for now, it is accurate, you may want a electronic scale later. You will need 2 loading blocks for each cal or 2 universal loading blocks holding 50 shells each which will cover all sizes of bullets. Case lube is included in set, I never use wax for resizing. Tumbler/media can be bought later with a tumbler, not necessary at first. Some shell holders come with some dies, but not all brands. You might want to buy a set of shell holders but more important to make sure you have 1 for every cartridge you will load.. If you buy extras get the RCBS brand for the rebate. You just have to spend over $300. Buy some plastic ammo boxes that hold 50 for each pistol cal. They work better than reusing old paper ones from original ammo purchases, but save these too.
The $50 rebate makes your overall cost less. Used presses sell for almost new prices unless you find a bargin and they are hard to find.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Digital Calipers I prefer good dail, but TEHO
Dies for every caliber, carbide only for pistols.
Reloading Manuals of course comes w/ the exc Speer but the more the better, I like the lyman
case trimmer eventually you'll need to trim the 223, maybe 3-4 loads before tha happens. I have NEVER trimmed a service pistol case.
powder trickler if using a measure, not needed.
RCBS powder measure stand nice to have, gets the measure up off the bench & you can mount it to a solid base & move it around.
shell holders check before ordering, some dies come w/ them & some calibers are interchangeable
bullet puller eventually, everyone needs one
Redding/Imperial Sizing die wax the RCBS case sizing lube is fine
deburring tool your kit comes w/ one
Tumber/media nice to have , but not needed right away. Just wipe cases clean w/ a damp cloth. The brass needs to be clean, not shiney.

The RCBS kit is one of the better ones, good access. If you decide to go dig scale, keep in mind, there are no good cheap dig scales IMO. Expect to pay at least $100.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was considering going digital. $100 or more for a quality digital scale won't hurt me. I'm watching Craigslist and eBay for a used press. I was going to go with w progressive press, but I want the control of the single stage. The single stage will force me to go slower so I figure there is less room for error did I mention u am a little ocd.

·
Registered
213 Posts
crb,
My wife and coworkers all consider me "anal retentive," too. My family is all too happy that I am when they go out shooting my reloads, though. You can never be too careful when reloading ammunition.

I have only been reloading since Christmas, but it has become a hobby I love almost as much as shooting off what I loaded! I only have a single-stage press. While there may come a day that I would want the speed of a progressive, I can't get over the meticulous detail that I can give to each step on the single-stage. I have never timed myself, but I don't feel like I lose anything with a single-stage. Speed isn't the goal, safe and accurate ammunition is.

Enjoy your new addiction!

Scott

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
crb,
My wife and coworkers all consider me "anal retentive," too. My family is all too happy that I am when they go out shooting my reloads, though. You can never be too careful when reloading ammunition.

I have only been reloading since Christmas, but it has become a hobby I love almost as much as shooting off what I loaded! I only have a single-stage press. While there may come a day that I would want the speed of a progressive, I can't get over the meticulous detail that I can give to each step on the single-stage. I have never timed myself, but I don't feel like I lose anything with a single-stage. Speed isn't the goal, safe and accurate ammunition is.

Enjoy your new addiction!

Scott
Shoot enouh & speed becoems a goal. For years it was told that progressives loaded inferior ammo, just not true. Many top level match shooters use progressive gear. The rules should be no diff using a ss press or Dillon 1050. You still need to pay attention to details & not just get into pulling the handle. Unfortunately, many newb reloaders that start w/ a progressive have fallen into the speed is everything trap & are pulling the handle. Starting w/ a ss press is a great way to learn, but when you get to shooting 400-500rds/wk, the progressive comes into it's own for saving time. I still use my ss press a lot & I run a 550B & 650.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I may pickup a progressive once I get some time and probably years on a single stage. I think precision rifle ammo should be loaded on a single stage from everything I've read. The biggest reason I'm getting into reloading is for rifle. 223/556 is just too damn exensive.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I may pickup a progressive once I get some time and probably years on a single stage. I think precision rifle ammo should be loaded on a single stage from everything I've read. The biggest reason I'm getting into reloading is for rifle. 223/556 is just too damn exensive.
Define precision. Most ARs can't really benefit form fine tuned match grade ammo. Many bolt guns or match grade ARs can, so it just depends. There really is little accuracy advantage loading on most single stage presses vs a good progressive.
That may prove to be true for me at some point, too. Right now, I can't afford to shoot that much because I am still working to get a couple of boys through college. After that...who knows!
Yep, been there, done that, but make those kids work a bit & pay for their own school. They'll appreciate it more.;)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I plan on a bolt 308 in the future, maybe a garand either way I can upgrade to a progressive later. I plan to focus on quality and not quality. I just spent some of myreloading fund I accidently won a crimson trace grip for my 229.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts