Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so i've had 4 fte's in about 600 rounds. any cause for concern? i see people here bragging about thousands of rounds without a failure to anything. they've all been with wwb, and all the casings look "normal," although i'm not sure what to look for in a faulty casing. and not exactly sure what limp wristing is, but i'm pretty sure i'm not doing it, altho 2 of the fte's came from my roommates when i was teaching them how to shoot. also, if the general concensus is to take it to the gunsmith, what could be the culprit? the extractor appears to be intact and clean. thanks.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
If they were new shooters it could have been limp wristing.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've had one FTE with mine and that was do to limp-wristing. I knew it was limp-wristing the second I did it. I don't recall exactly why I wasn't using my usual grip but it happened.

You have to throw the 2 FTE's your roomate had out the window since its not their gun and they're new to shooting. I'm sure if you really pay attention you'll probably see it's limp-wristing.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Ive shot about 1500 rounds thru mine and had one FTE and that was because the round was not properly seated in the magazine. other than that i shoot Blazer and WWB thru it with no problems.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi

Had my XD 9 Tactical for a month. shot over 900 rounds of WWB through it with 1 fte. That one i don't really count as the casing had a really odd crimp in it.

One session was with 500 rounds no cleaning, still performed with out a hitch

In fact my Xd shoot so nice several people i work with are looking into getting one :D

Casper

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Limp wristing is when you break your wrist with the guns recoil.

·
Registered
105 Posts
With my first XD-9 I could tell the brand of ammo I was using by the FTE rate. WWB would consistently give me two failures per 100 rounds EVERY time. S&B would consistently give me eight failures per 100 rounds EVERY time. American Eagle ammo was ALWAYS 100% reliable. After a while the solution becomes obvious.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Gary G23 said:
After a while the solution becomes obvious.
Please enlighten the slow ones on that quote :p

Do you mean to not shoot certain type of ammo etc.. ? Or do you mean to imply that the gun is faulty ??

I mean this in no way to offend you, but as all i have shoot through mine is WWB i am seriously curious as to what can cause the same gun type and caliber to differ in such manners in regards to FTE's.

I am no expert on the workings of a gun so i just would like to enlighten myself to some more knowledge as to what causes these different kinds of results.

Regards

Casper

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
What gun are you shooting? Tactical, Sub, Service? What calibre? FTEs "Faliure To Eject" is usually caused by limp wristing or a bad extractor. I have never had a FTE with my Sevice .40 I used to have FTF or "Faliure To Feed" with reloads but after about 200 rounds and polishing the feed ramp that went away.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
There are two variations which get called "FTE".

FTE (falure to extract) where the brass is left in the chamber is from a problem extractor. The hook comes off of the rim and the slide still comes back. I think that this is still up in the air for a definitive solution, but it sounds as if tensioning even the "early" extractors have fixed this problem. Some brass dimensions are worse than others for this.

FTE (failure to eject) where the brass is left hanging out of the ejection port (often called stove-piping) is usually from limp wristing with factory ammo. If it is a marginal limp-wrist then it is ammo dependant. Hotter ammo will eject cleanly, lighter rounds will be sporadic, the lightest rounds will be a big problem. People with a real strong grip can have no problem with the same ammo that shooters with a softer grip have problems with.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have a 9mm service... the problem could very well be limp wristing. but i have a flinching problem which to my understanding is the polar opposite of limp wristing... my wrists tense up and push down, as opposed to letting loose. anyway, i still don't have my ccw permit so it's not a huge issue of life-or-death reliability with me, so i guess i'll keep shooting and see what happens.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
which, incidentally, i have no idea how to do... when i get a fte i lock the slide back, drop the mag, clear the brass, and reload. other times i've just tried going into the chamber with my pinky and getting the damn brass out of there. any tips? should this be another thread?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
don i just re-read your post... one of my fte's today, the brass was still completely in the chamber. all the other ones, to my recollection, were failure to eject, i.e. the brass was halfway out of the chamber. what do you mean by "strong grip?" i feel like i've got the xd in a vice grip but that is all in the hand... i dont know about my wrists. ah well, like i said, i'm not carrying the xd for self-defense, yet, so i'll try and sort out these problems at the range and see where to go from there.

·
Registered
539 Posts
for myself, i have squeezed 1600rds or so through my xd40 service model with zero failures. Not a single problem at all. I've only shot the wwb 165gr though. For myself, i'm working towards becoming a police officer and practicing clearing malfunctions should be a part of my typical shooting regimen, so i incorporate it by mixing in spent casings with regular live rounds in my mag.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wont spent casings only develop your ftf skills? a spent casing will never feed into the chamber and therefore wont allow you to develop ftf skills.

·
Registered
539 Posts
well by doing this i've been able to simulate a couple different types of malfunctions. I actually have been able to chamber an empty casing, which acts kind of like a snap cap so i can see if i'm anticipating. Then ofcourse, nothing happens so i rack and kick out the empty casing.

It also simulates double feeds, but usually i can just do the usual tap & rack and i'm ready to go again. Other times, i do what i was taught to do for a double feed which is lock back slide, drop mag, cant, Rack briskly several times then reinsert mag, charge and go.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
There are two variations which get called "FTE".
Good point, Don. Half the time I don't even bother to read these FTE/FTF threads because I can't figure out what the hell they're talking about in the initial post. Makes it sorta difficult to help folks sort the problem out.

Life would be much simpler if folks would use a few simple acronyms, when describing gun problems:

FTEJ-failure to eject

FTEX-failure to extract

FTFE-failure to feed

FTFR-failure to fire

PSL-premature slide lock (open) with live rounds remaining in magazine

FSRB-failure of slide to return to battery

CHS-can't hit sh*t (OK I was just kidding on this one)

I can dream, can't I?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I must be a lucky one I keep reading these forums from alot of people with problems with there xd I bought mine xd357 I have put probably 2500 rounds thru it the only time I had a issue is when I bought selloir and belliot ammo out of the first 25 rounds I had three failure to fires thru the rest of the crap ammo in the trash and I had never had a issue since
other than the (CHS) I have a hard time addjusting to SA's 6 oclock sight set up I will be putting adjustable night sights on my xd after this weekend

I do have a 1911 a trp that I have problems with it is brand new about 250 rounds thru and I have failure to feed issues I am not to worried about it though figure she just needs to be broken in......

·
Registered
105 Posts
Noxio,
What I am saying is to apply the rules of logic in order to get 100% reliability. Reliability is a function of the gun, magazine, ammo, maintenance, and operator. In my case a large enough sample size of ammo was experimented with to show definite trends in failure to extract rates. In order to get 100% reliability in my pistol I had to use American Eagle ammo. Also keep in mind that just because one persons pistol works fine with WWB doesn't mean that a failure to extract problem would not be caused by ammo brand in someone elses pistol. That assumption would violate the "sample size" rule of logic. I am not saying that a gun is defective just because it is not reliable with ALL brands of ammo. There is a lot of junk ammo out there and I doubt that there are very many guns that are reliable with all of it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts