Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I received some Ranger bonded 147 (RA9B) and bonded 147 +p (Q4364) for my 9mm. The +p stuff has been relabeled and the part number reads ZQ4364. I tried to peel the new label off of one flap and the part number underneath is Q4364.

Anyone have any idea what the Z means?

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
zebra

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just got mine today from ATG...They relabel their own to find easier on the shelf to pull orders quicker...Keith

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just got mine today from ATG...They relabel their own to find easier on the shelf to pull orders quicker...Keith
I've bought quite a little from ATG and this is the first relabeled box I've ever received. Checking around the internet I found other retailers selling ZQ ammo and those boxes had not been remarked.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
This is contract ammo. Winchester put the white labels on. so far all that I have sold have been in Ranger boxes. I have sold contract ammo that was in plain white boxes, USA boxes and recently I had a bunch of 223 match ammo that was in 7.62x39 USA boxes.

http://www.prestoimages.net/prestostore_graphics02/13627_pd300569.jpg

http://www.prestoimages.net/prestostore_graphics03/13627_pd302017full.jpg

http://www.prestoimages.net/prestostore_graphics03/13627_pd302016full.jpghttp://www.prestoimages.net/prestostore_graphics03/13627_pd302017full.jpg

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is contract ammo. Winchester put the white labels on. so far all that I have sold have been in Ranger boxes. I have sold contract ammo that was in plain white boxes, USA boxes and recently I had a bunch of 223 match ammo that was in 7.62x39 USA boxes.
Sorry to show my ignorance, but what is the difference between "normal" ammo and "contract" ammo?

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Contract ammo may or may not have the same specs as the regular commercial ammo. It just depends on what the agency wanted when they ordered.

I put a disclamer on my web site since I do not know what agency ordered the ammo and what if any spec changes were made. I feel pretty confident that both 9mm loads the ZQ4364 and the ZRA9B are both over runs from DOJ.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Contract ammo may or may not have the same specs as the regular commercial ammo. It just depends on what the agency wanted when they ordered.

I put a disclamer on my web site since I do not know what agency ordered the ammo and what if any spec changes were made. I feel pretty confident that both 9mm loads the ZQ4364 and the ZRA9B are both over runs from DOJ.
Thanks for the information. I need to go back to the ATG website to see if I missed something in the Q4364 listing.

On your website I couldn't find any way to request an e-mail notification when you receive ammo that I have advised you I'm interested in. Is this possible or does it overwhelm your system?

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I have a file that I dump email into. I send out notices when the products arrive or I have a date for its arrival.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a file that I dump email into. I send out notices when the products arrive or I have a date for its arrival.
I'll keep that in mind for my future ammo needs.

I've been thinking about this Z designator. In my experience in electronics manufacturing (40+ years), if a customer wanted a different performance specification the product got a different part number. If they had different testing or inspection requirements the product got some kind of designator.

In the case of my ZQ4364, the original box is marked Q4364, so probably this is standard product that was pulled off the shelf and retested, remeasured or reinspected to an additional standard and then remarked.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
The only current production Rangers with the talons is the T-Series. Ranger SXT also has them but they have been out of production for over ten years.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Are these the talon heads on the rounds?
If you mean, the Black Talon bullet, it probably is not. it is probably the SXT bullet.

And most people say the the SXT stands for the Same eXact Thing.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Thats gunshop commando slang for I do not know what I'm talking about.
Are the bullets themselves that much different?

I still have a bunch of the Black Talon component bullets. I think 400 of the 9mm 127gr, and 200 of the 40cal 180gr.

Just been saving them for the last 8 to 10 years or so.

:-D

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
147gr was the only 9mm offering.

There has been a lot of changes in the jacket design since the BT. There was even a update this year with the Ranger T Enhanced.

The difference between the Black Talon and the Ranger SXT was mainly powder. T-Series replaced the Ranger SXT back in 1998.

Ranger T had changes with the jacket so that it would expand in a larger window of velocities. They also dropped the black lubalux coat.

T Enhanced changes die cuts and jacket thickness to allow the bullet to expand out wider and stay out at its widest point longer.

·
Registered
892 Posts
147gr was the only 9mm offering.

There has been a lot of changes in the jacket design since the BT. There was even a update this year with the Ranger T Enhanced.

The difference between the Black Talon and the Ranger SXT was mainly powder. T-Series replaced the Ranger SXT back in 1998.

Ranger T had changes with the jacket so that it would expand in a larger window of velocities. They also dropped the black lubalux coat.

T Enhanced changes die cuts and jacket thickness to allow the bullet to expand out wider and stay out at its widest point longer.
I assume you are saying that the 147gr was the only 9mm offering of the SXT.

I am sure the 9mm bullets I have are 127gr Black Talon's. They were even purchased not too far away from you, in Godfrey IL. at the Ammo Depot.

They closed up shop there a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Black Talons were only made in the 147. If mike had 127 they had to be pulled bullets from the Ranger RA9SXTP. Ranger bullets have never been offered as components.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I don't know how he got them, but they are definitely Black Talons, and if they were pulled bullets, I would think that I could see a ring around them.

I even have them in the original packaging that came from his store. It is not commercial Winchester packaging. It is a stapled plastic bag with a label inside.

When I bought them they were $16 per 200.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts