Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Monday I took 4 of my daughters to the range to let them shoot 22's.As we were unloading the truck, I looked down range to find 3 cow elk feeding at about 250 yrs.we watched them for a while then set up our targets, but they didn't pay any attention to us.I figured if I put a few rounds through the 40 into the 10 yard berm they would leave.Nope, they didn't even look up after a full 16 round mag.After clearing the fire line I sent 2 of my girls down range to get the elk out of the way.Anyway, they walked up to within about 30 yards of the elk before the 3 cows walked off of the range.Not the visitors I would expect at the range, but it made the trip to the range one that my girls won't soon forget.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Now that's an interesting day at the range. I don't know the temperament of Elk but I'm glad they didn't charge your daughters.

On another note, have you taught your daughters how to gut and skin an Elk? :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm sure they have a calendar that tells them they have no worries for at least a couple more months......:)
It is pretty nice to see that the wildlife is plentiful around you.....at least until hunting season.
On a more serious note, I commend you for involving your children in the sport. It really amazes me how many of our youth have no idea what fun and education they could have if only they had someone to take them shooting. Good job with them and encourage them as much as you can.
Oh, and happy Fathers day.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Up untill 9 months ago I was living in the upstate new york region (born on long island) and i sware they knew what a gun was. I would hit the woods scouting with just a buck knife and see so much game it made me hungry.....two days later I hit the woods with a gun and not a critter in sight.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
You know the rules about pics and such. ;) :D

Sounds like a great day at the range. I don't know if I would have sent my kids after the elk, but......

I always try to take someone with me when I shoot. Kids, newbs, friends; it is probably the one time I actually enjoy company and people. :D

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Dang 4 daughters! No wonder you got into owning guns! LOL!

That's some laid back elk!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Monday I took 4 of my daughters to the range to let them shoot 22's.As we were unloading the truck, I looked down range to find 3 cow elk feeding at about 250 yrs.we watched them for a while then set up our targets, but they didn't pay any attention to us.I figured if I put a few rounds through the 40 into the 10 yard berm they would leave.Nope, they didn't even look up after a full 16 round mag.After clearing the fire line I sent 2 of my girls down range to get the elk out of the way.Anyway, they walked up to within about 30 yards of the elk before the 3 cows walked off of the range.Not the visitors I would expect at the range, but it made the trip to the range one that my girls won't soon forget.
What's a COW ELF? Kinda like Tinkerbell but only fat? :confused::)

But seriously, we sometimes get deer at my range, too, and the range rules explicitly ask that you don't shoot them. The logic being that they are used to gunshots by now and it would hardly be very sporting.

·
Premium Member
127,161 Posts
Pics or it didn't happen! ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts