Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, went back home last week and made an annual stop at the range, a range i have never used but it was amazing. it was my first time shooting my XDMc9 at a range, i have shot it at my land to try it out but this was my first time actually target shooting. i was so impressed with the accuracy of the XDMc, as the video will show i dont do it justice. i feel my problem was my grip. look at what i do with my left hand, after i adjusted and actually hit, i have no clue why i was doing that. but i would appreciate any advise i could get. (p.s. in the hands of me and my buddy...the XDMc out shot his SIG226)

·
Registered
616 Posts
How many rounds do you have through the gun? From what I noticed, it looks like you are doing what I did when I first got my XD. When you slowed down and took a little bit more time to aim, you hit right on target. but when you were trying to be quick about it, you just missed the targets. Try slowing down and taking a little more time to aim, you will eventually get used to the trigger, and be able to shoot faster while staying on target.

Just my .02...

·
Registered
134 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Actually, YOU outshot your buddy with a P226. I may be a bit biased but I've found that both my P239 and P229 are more accurate from a benchrest than my XDm-40. BTW, the difference doesn't really amount to a small mound of beans, all 3 are accurate enough to be very effective for any Combat use.

Fact is that when shooting offhand, who wins in target shooting is all about the better shooter, any quality pistol sold today is capable of shooting tighter groups than the person holding it.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I find I do the same thing with my left hand when I shoot my 1911. It is usually because I feel like my grip is just slightly off after the shot. I think I just need to grip tighter.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually, YOU outshot your buddy with a P226. I may be a bit biased but I've found that both my P239 and P229 are more accurate from a benchrest than my XDm-40. BTW, the difference doesn't really amount to a small mound of beans, all 3 are accurate enough to be very effective for any Combat use.

Fact is that when shooting offhand, who wins in target shooting is all about the better shooter, any quality pistol sold today is capable of shooting tighter groups than the person holding it.

i agree, he talked about how he has to hold his front sight slightly high or it will shoot low...so i think his sights need to be adjusted. but i didnt mean to come off as saying the xdm is better than a sig, the sig is combat proven and id trust the hell out of it. the balance of the sig was amazin also...and its got an OD frame which is awesome.

but yea it looks like i was "re-gripping" after every round (cant think of a better word to describe it) but i didnt notice it until i watched the vid...guess i just need more shooting and actually slow down and think lol.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
You look pretty good to me already, but there are a couple small things you may want to try out.

Work on your stance. You are standing nearly square on to the target. Hard to stabilize front to back like that. Slide your left foot forward about 2', bend your left knee so your weight will shift more to the front. Then lean slightly forward (3-6" tilt) -- you do seem to be doing that already and that's good! Many folks will stand dead square and lean backwards to counter the weight of the gun. That's not so good.

Then concentrate on the front sight post hard. Really really concentrate on it while firing.

Then just practice as much as you can afford.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
john bud, i was thinking about my stance also, i remember my football coaches always talking about power angles, leaning forward puts the weight on the front of your feet and allow for quicker movement and reaction. i was probably just being lazy. but i would go as far as a line backer stance of corse, because that would be uncomfortale, but yea i agree with what you said about the stance, and ill do it next time.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
john bud, i was thinking about my stance also, i remember my football coaches always talking about power angles, leaning forward puts the weight on the front of your feet and allow for quicker movement and reaction. i was probably just being lazy. but i would go as far as a line backer stance of corse, because that would be uncomfortale, but yea i agree with what you said about the stance, and ill do it next time.

Sounds like you've got the stance picture and fundamentals already. I don't think you need to go down like a lineman when shooting :lol:, but a stance like a wide receiver ready to go sprint would be good. Head up, shoulders relaxed, knees bent and weight forward so you can easily turn and shoot in any direction with good balance and body control. You want to have the option of quick mobility while holding still & steady and at the same time be comfortable and relaxed while shooting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i agree yr stance is to square to target , also try slowing down on trigger squeeze dont pull yr misses were high which indicates you were to quick on the trigger

·
Registered
134 Posts
I like the info on the stance. I have been working on my grip so much I did not even consider my own stance. Thanks for starting this thread mAKo and thanks JB for the stance info. I would of never thought about stance being as important as grip.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like the info on the stance. I have been working on my grip so much I did not even consider my own stance. Thanks for starting this thread mAKo and thanks JB for the stance info. I would of never thought about stance being as important as grip.

anytime...i have no fear sharing my problems haha. but yea what my LB and weightlifting coach use to always say: "******* over knees, knees over toes." but yea im ready to get back out to the range to really blow some money on shooting and fix this! i did finally get rid of my limp wristing though...so it wasnt a total loss

·
Registered
134 Posts
Here is a good video I found while searching for grip info.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You look pretty good to me already, but there are a couple small things you may want to try out.

Work on your stance. You are standing nearly square on to the target. Hard to stabilize front to back like that. Slide your left foot forward about 2', bend your left knee so your weight will shift more to the front. Then lean slightly forward (3-6" tilt) -- you do seem to be doing that already and that's good! Many folks will stand dead square and lean backwards to counter the weight of the gun. That's not so good.

Then concentrate on the front sight post hard. Really really concentrate on it while firing.

Then just practice as much as you can afford.

^^^ X2

1 - 18 of 18 Posts