Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I decided to spend my memorial day with a bang and decided to go to the range and rent both BG38 and LCR today. My only experience with them a few days ago was a few dry fires at the same LGS/range that I went today shooting today. I should also mention im a southpaw.

My impressions before shooting, first with the LCR:

-nice houge tamer grip gave more surface area to grip

Dislikes:
-cylinder release on the left, took a little more effort to push in with right thumb
-houge grip sticked to inside of pocket (want to use it as a pocket carry)

S&W BG 38

-ambi cylinder release on the top where the hammer would be makes opening alot easier
-laser

Dislikes:
-trigger felt stagey and not as smooth as LCR
-small grip
-activating laser would be difficult in a stressful situation

I went away last friday thinking that the LCR would be the one for me, but the guy suggested that I shoot them first before buying either. I kinda lol on the inside cause I know they charge alot for their ammo for shooting their guns so I left and though about the LCR all weekend.

Well today at around 3:30pm i kinda decided "hell I'll shoot them today". I also took my xdm9, RIA 1911 and buckmark. Got to the range, picked up the LCR first (only allowed one gun at a time) and a box of 50 wadcutter 38spl for $25 which I expected but I wasn't their to complain about the price gouging.

I set up the target at 5yds, put the first 5rds center of mass, took my time with the shots and they were not that bad, 2-3 were a little to the right. Next 5 where shot faster and the spread was a little wide but not bad. Last 5 to the body were slow but just like the first a few were little to the right. The next 5 were head shots at 5yds and I noticed that POI was about 2in higher than the sights but still were hitting where I aimed, last 5 were headshots at 7yds and thats where I kinda dialed in to where to hold.

I was impressed with the LCR, did not think I would like a DOA wheel gun, although the plunger thingy for the spent casings seemed short and did not fully eject some of the casings.

LCR target at 5-7 yds

Next up was the BG38, now I though I would not like this one cause of the grip and trigger but I proved myself wrong. First 5 shots were to the body and it seems that they were pretty close, did another 5 rapid shots and though they were a little smaller group with a flyer at the bottom right. Next were 15 head shots from 5-7yds. I had noticed that the POI was a little higher than the LCR about 3in but was centered perfectly

I tried to used the laser but it was not dialed in, I did however try to use my left thumb to activate it which was a little difficult to find such a small button, but maybe with more practice I could get it down. I also notice that the stagey portion of the trigger close to the end of the pull kinda gave me a "slow down" signal as I was taking up the first portion of the long pull fast then I slowed down enough to get my trigger finger isolated from the rest of my hand so I don't jerk the trigger. I'd like better grips but I was surprised that I would like the BG38.

BG38 at 5-7 yds

Cylinder release was easy to use and the longer plunger made ejecting easier. I did well with both IMO but I think I'm set on the BG38 cause of the ambi cylinder release, glad I spent the money now to try them out than to buy one and realized I don't like it.

Also found out that I should not hold a wheel gun like a semi-auto, now I wasn't at the gap between the barrel and cylinder, just about 1/2in back, but yeah better find a different thumb hold for the right hand. :shock: You can also see the BG38 body shots up close in this pic.

Did well with my RIA 1911 at 15yds with WIN PDX1 .45, fed all 20 rds well, need to get more though. Still shooting a little to the right though.

XDM9 did great at 7yds as I took my time, was aiming left of the red dot at the 9. After awhile though I think I was not concentrating on my trigger finger and started to jerk or push the gun before the bullet left the barrel.

I had a good day at the range, now to get ready for a 2.5 day trip to CA tomorrow. Gonna drive a customers vehicle to another testing facility, going to hate LA traffic :oops:.

PS. also like that I don't have to go chasing my spent brass with a revolver :D

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Looks like a nice day! Thanks for the write up.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Love my LCR. It is my BUG...A Sweet Shooter.....

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think that the DAO trigger really helped me to concentrate on getting the pull smooth and without flinching/jerking the trigger.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I love my LCR also. I have carried it more in the last 2 weeks since I have had it than the entire time I had my J Frame.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
839 Posts
I sold my wife's Sp101 and she wanted a new bedside revolver...

After having messed with Ruger's repair return policy I have to admit, I didn't even consider the LCR...I went straight to the new BG S&W.

So far I really like it, it shoots well and the laser is a nice addition. On top of that, by what I understand S&W has a better return policy should something go wrong with it.

I did a "range review" with mine as well:

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/wheelguns/175888-s-w-new-bodyguard-range-report-review-pics.html

So far so good...

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I sold my wife's Sp101 and she wanted a new bedside revolver...

After having messed with Ruger's repair return policy I have to admit, I didn't even consider the LCR...I went straight to the new BG S&W.

So far I really like it, it shoots well and the laser is a nice addition. On top of that, by what I understand S&W has a better return policy should something go wrong with it.

I did a "range review" with mine as well:

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/wheelguns/175888-s-w-new-bodyguard-range-report-review-pics.html

So far so good...
When firing at that distance did you notice that the POI was higher than POA? Just want to know if its common with them. I just cant wait to get mine $347 to go!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a bg38 for my wife. The first time out about 20 rounds in the cylinder locked up. I played with a little bit and got it open then it wouldn't lock up. Finally after about 15 or 20 minutes it started working right, but I couldn't take the chance of the cylinder swinging out while firing. So I called Smith and Wesson. The gun smith that I spoke with said he wanted me to send it in for repairs, and that he'd never heard of that problem. He also said that he was taking down all of my information, and that he was sending me a shipping label. Well it took a week for me to get a shipping label. I sent the gun in and two weeks later they called to say that I didn't put a note in the box describing its issues. Five minutes before i called Smith and Wesson with those problems to the bg38 i had called
CZ in regard to a problem that I was having with my model 527. While I was talking to the guy form S&W I received my shipping label from CZ. I sent it out the next day less than two weeks later my gun was back problem fixed. S&W's working on a month. I expected so much more from those guys

1 - 10 of 10 Posts