Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my XDm bitone 40 yesterday and got to shoot it today. It's been busy so I didn't get a chance to clean it first. Just took it straight out of the box and started shooting.

I am an admitted newbie to handguns. I have owned a SIG for 15 years but only plinked with it. Anyway I have been trying to get better, as its not as easy to shoot a handgun as it is a rifle which I do much more frequently.

I shot 50 times today with cheap target ammo, primarily at 10 yards and my first shot was a bullseye from 10 yards, it went down hill after that but overall, the XDm is very accurate. Here are a couple of my better targets, the first one is at 7 yards and the 2nd at 10. There are a couple of flyers and I'm not bragging that my targets are great by any stretch. Bot overall for a newb I was pretty pleased. The fliers are when I didn't squeeze, but pulled the trigger.

Overall, I love the trigger on the XDm, to me it's the best feature. Compared to alot of other guns I have shot, it is very good. Anyway, I'll keep learning to squeeze and stop shaking so much, but the XDm is a accurate out of the box and easy to shoot! Also, I immediately added the large grip, the small is tiny to me.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j60/bwarren2/IMG_5158.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j60/bwarren2/IMG_5157.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j60/bwarren2/IMG_5160.jpg

·
Registered
133 Posts
Love my XDm 40 too. Sure goes through ammo quickly though :) I didn't get a chance to shoot at paper targets, just knockdown silhouettes but it sure did sound sweet hearing "ding! ding! ding!"

·
Registered
33 Posts
I also bought the XDm od green. I love this weapon...low recoil, nice smooth action...shot through an eight inch treated post with hardball ammo. The sights are off though 25 yards x approx 3 inches left. I was not prepared yesterday to move them. I will tommorow, I hope.
Yes, ammo flows freely from the barrel of this beast. I still want to add the trigger kit to lower trigger pull. I would like to get a Dons guide rod but do not want chrome. I always been partial to blued weapons and no flash.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I also bought the XDm od green. I love this weapon...low recoil, nice smooth action...shot through an eight inch treated post with hardball ammo. The sights are off though 25 yards x approx 3 inches left. I was not prepared yesterday to move them. I will tommorow, I hope.
Yes, ammo flows freely from the barrel of this beast. I still want to add the trigger kit to lower trigger pull. I would like to get a Dons guide rod but do not want chrome. I always been partial to blued weapons and no flash.
Unless you have shot 500+ rounds through this gun, don't move the sights. Most new XD shooters start shooting left. Once you work on your grip the shots will land where they belong. (did for me and many others)

·
Registered
211 Posts
As far as the trigger, I tried XD and XDm .40's at several different shops and the trigger felt a bit different with all the guns. The XD that seemed to have the best trigger was a full size XD .45 Tactical. I also loved the idea of the thumb safety since the gun is basically single action. However, the .45 tactical didn't fit my hands nearly as well as the XDm .40, which I ended up buying a few weeks ago.

I had the same experience with mine out of the box. Pulled it out of the box, sprayed some RemOil to give some extra lubrication since it had been on display at the gun shop for a while, and started shooting. First shot was dead on at 10 yards. As I continued shooting for about 160 rounds, and moved to 25yds I noticed that most of my shots were centered 3-4 inches to left of the point of aim with JHP as well as FMJ rounds from several manufacturers.

If I concentrated on the trigger pull, POI shifted a bit back toward aim point, but not all the way. I switched to left hand and noticed that it shot much closer to point of aim, so I suspected it might be a grip / trigger finger issue when shooting right handed. The other guns I shoot most frequently are the double action Taurus PT-145 and S&W 686 so I'm not as used to a "single action" trigger feel like the XDm has. I may be using too much finger in the trigger and pulling the shots a bit left.

I was using the medium grip as supplied, but have since installed the small grip because I have thick wide hands particularly in the meaty part between thumb and first finger. It feels better dry firing, but I haven't been back to the range yet to see if it helps during firing.

I'll tinker with my grip and trigger finger set a bit and we'll see if that changes point of impact, and if not I'll probably adjust the rear sight a bit to compensate.

Happy shooting

Alchemist77

·
Registered
33 Posts
Unless you have shot 500+ rounds through this gun, don't move the sights. Most new XD shooters start shooting left. Once you work on your grip the shots will land where they belong. (did for me and many others)
Question!

Why would more rounds make a difference? I did not move it yet... I will give it a shot and see. But I never had this issue (having to shoot this many rounds to zero it) in the past with other hand guns. I think I'll bore site it just to double check. Thanks for the heads up though... JP:?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well, I put 150 rounds of UMC 180gr MC and 50 rounds of Remington green box 180gr JHP through my XDm 40 this afternoon. Still no failures of any sort, but only about 360 rounds down-range so far. Cleaned and lubed after 1st 160 rounds, and will probably clean again tonight.

Groups are still centered about 4-5 inches to left of point of aim at 25yds. I used a 3/16 punch, small hammer, and small piece of cardboard (tab torn off of ammo box) to protect the finish and tried to adjust the rear sight by tapping it to the right. (Double check here: move the rear sight in the same direction as you want the POI to move, correct ??) However, best that I could tell, the sight didn't move even though I was tapping fairly assertively after the first few tries. I didn't want to whack it any harder that I was already. Any tricks to get the sight to move in the dovetail?

Thanks,
Alchemist77

·
Registered
708 Posts
Well, I put 150 rounds of UMC 180gr MC and 50 rounds of Remington green box 180gr JHP through my XDm 40 this afternoon. Still no failures of any sort, but only about 360 rounds down-range so far. Cleaned and lubed after 1st 160 rounds, and will probably clean again tonight.

Groups are still centered about 4-5 inches to left of point of aim at 25yds. I used a 3/16 punch, small hammer, and small piece of cardboard (tab torn off of ammo box) to protect the finish and tried to adjust the rear sight by tapping it to the right. (Double check here: move the rear sight in the same direction as you want the POI to move, correct ??) However, best that I could tell, the sight didn't move even though I was tapping fairly assertively after the first few tries. I didn't want to whack it any harder that I was already. Any tricks to get the sight to move in the dovetail?

Thanks,
Alchemist77
If you really want to move it. (I agree with the majority here, don't yet, shoot about 500+ rnds though it 1st) But if feel you must get it moved, your Dealer should have a sight pusher tool. If you bought it from Him/Her, they should move it for you at N/C

1 - 10 of 10 Posts