Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the range today and brought my new XD9 along with my old Sig Sauer P229 and my Kimber Raptor II 45ACP.

The Sig Sauer P229 chambered in .40 S&W is supposed to be a very accurate and very reliable pistol. I've had it for about 12 years and have only put about 300 - 500 rounds through it. It's a beautiful gun, but I've never been able to shoot it very accurately and I've experienced about 2% malfunctions. (Failure of the slide to fully close when chambering a new round and a few stove pipes)

The Kimber is only about a month old and I've put 200 rounds of 230 grain FMJ through it with 2% failure to fully chamber a round.
But it points well for me and I'm able to group all my shots in an 8" bulls-eye at 25 yards without using a rest. Kimber says in their owners manual that you need to fire 500 rounds through them to break them in to eliminate feed failures and achieve maximum reliability. So I'll see how it does after a few hundred more rounds.

The SA XD9 is now my favorite gun!
100 rounds, straight out of the box, not a single problem.
Not able to shoot it as accurately (at 25 yds) as the Kimber, but it's more accurate than the Sig P229. Easy to field strip and clean, simplistic in design, durable and extremely fun to shoot. I'll be taking it with me every time I go to the range.
It was far less expensive than my other guns and far more reliable. I tried to limp wrist it, I tried to fire a clip as fast as I could pull the trigger and couldn't force it to malfunction.
I'm a happy camper!:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
The P229 is a great gun, don't ever let that one go. It can be fussy about what it wants to eat, though. Try Black Hills.

As for the Kimber, I've heard good and bad things about them, but with no personal experience, I can't comment.

And the XD9: I'm still getting used to my XD45. It's not like anything I've ever shot before. It's like a 1911 and a Glock 21 got drunk one night and made a love child. But it's a perfect balance of the two.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I donot have a Kimber or Sig so cannot comment on them, but I have two XD9's one tactical and one service. The tactical has about 3000 rounds through it and not a problem. The service has about 8000 rounds and no problems. The only ammo I did have a problem with in both the tactical and service is S&B Range Safe Ammo would not eject. Tried some S&B regular ammo and no problem. Other than about the ammo I've had no other problems with my XD's.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I've put at least 500-600 rounds thru my XD9 so far, mostly WWB and Rem. 115-grain, with ZERO malfunctions of any kind. This is one reason I bought an XD in the first place.

The funny thing is that the XD is the gun I really liked when I first started looking at centerfire pistols, but then considered a few other models. It just worked out that I got an XD, which was the pistol I really wanted in the first place!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts