Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my XD-9 subcompact to the range this morning to shoot it for the first time. I had 115gr WWB, 115gr Hydra-shok and 147gr Win SXT ammo to test. For $$ reasons most shooting was done with the WWB. 200 rounds fired total.

My first impression is that this gun is like an appliance. You can just use it and use it and use it without ever worrying about what it's going to do. Point, aim fire. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

This XD is equipped with the factory Heinie night sights and they are very easy to pick up. I had no trouble getting a good sight picture quickly.

The only problem that I experienced was due to my grip. I am so used to resting my thumb on the extended safety lever of my 1911, that's where my thumb instinctively goes. Well, the slide release on the XD is so big that I was actually holding it down without realizing it and causing the slide not to lock open after the last shot. A slight hand adjustment fixed that.

All shots were fired at 21 feet, standing, two hand hold, both eyes open, as fast as I could get a sight picture.
As a control, I brought along my Glock 27 (40) (165gr wwb) which I have shot quite a bit. I know, apples to oranges right? Well, they're both subcompact so that's as close of a likeness as I have.

First I started with the XD and for whatever reason, with the 115 gr WWB ammo, it hit a bit high. This is strange for me since every fixed sight gun I have ever owned hit a bit low. Anyway, I found the XD a pleasure to shoot. Very easy to control and predictable behavior. All my brass dropped in a nice little pile right next to me.

The 115 gr fed hydra-shok ammo I had is left over from the last 9mm I owned sometime around 1991. I'm not sure if they make it anymore.
The XD LOVED this round. It hit closer to point of aim and had nearly zero muzzle flip. I stopped myself after 15 rounds of it so I could save the rest.

The Winchester 147gr SXT is pretty expensive stuff so I only fired 5 rounds of it to see what it would do. A LOT more muzzle flip than the 115 feds. They hit close to point of aim but it was slower to the second shot. With practice I have no doubt that I could get better but I haven't found the free sxt bin yet.

Comparing it to my Glock 27 is difficult. They feel completely different and behave like complete strangers. There is no commonality whatsoever except they're both subcompact and they both have Heinie night sights. Basically, there is no comparison to make here.

In the end, I find the XD sub to be a great little gun. It has a very natural feel for me and features like the loaded chamber indicator and grip safety are a big plus imo.
9mm practice ammo is pretty cheap so I plan on getting a lot of range time out of this gun. :D

·
Registered
285 Posts
HV,

Can you tell us more about the Heinie night sights? I am looking at these for my XD9 Service and would appreciate any additional impressions you have.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Heinie sights are great. I also have them on my Glock 27. The XD9810 actually comes with these sights from Springfield.
Single dot front and rear. (XD9810 with Heinie Tritium Slant Pro Sights)

THe edge of the front blade that faces the shooter as well as the back of the rear sight have serrations so they are totally non-reflective.

·
Registered
285 Posts
HV,

Thanks for the additional input. When you focus on the front site, does it appear to touch the upper edge of the rear sight since the rear sight would be out of focus and slightly blurred? If not, how do you deal with the vertical alignment issue. Do you just line up the tops to the two sights?

One more item, how is the brightness level at dusk as well as dark?

·
Registered
1 Posts
went to the range last week, this gun is incredibly accurate...shot 2 boxes of Winchester white box and had 1 misfeed in 200 rounds. Not bad, this is my new carry gun (obviously don't carry the white box, I use Speer 147 gr JHP).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts