Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I picked up my second XD this past week and have put 200 rnds through it so far. My first XD is a 45 Tactical with trigger job and heavy guide rod. I typically shoot at longer distances 25+ yards at small targets like bottles, playing cards ect. and I attempted the same thing using the new Sub Compact. It didn't go that well. Some shots were right on the money and others were near misses left or right due to trigger control im sure. The brand new "stock" trigger is not as crisp as I remember so Ill be doing the spring pack on that at some point. Overall the gun functions flawlessly, I even dropped the thing in the dirt with the slide racked back, blew off what dirt I could and went right back to shooting without a hiccup.

This was my last box of 50 @ 10 yards: (Ignore the hits on the red guy..those are exits ;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice! I just bought the same gun (9sc). I'm waiting for it to arrive? Do you recommend the Pearce Grip Extension?
If your going to carry concealed it's worth it. The idea of having to use the weapon in a life or death senerio with my pinky hanging in the breeze is scarry. I have big hands so Ive been only using the larger mag w/ extension for a better grip while shooting paper.

Went out and fired another 100 rounds through it today. The ammo ive been using is Federal 115g FMJ cheap-o wallmart stuff. This time out I was dead on keyholing shots.. I think it's a combination of me being more used to the gun and it getting broken in. The shots off target and outside my neat cluster were a result of my fiance (her first time with a sub comp)

Thats looks like 10 yards right? Maybe 15?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks. I do plan to carry concealed. FedEx tracker says my gun will be at the local FFL tomorrow. When I pick it up, I'll look around the store for the grip extensions. I've been carrying a Kel-Tec PF9, which I can shoot fairly accurate with my pinkie dangle. I'm expecting less 'snap' from the larger XD9sc. I guess I need to actually hold/shoot the new XD before deciding. I take your suggestion seriously, it's just that I'm not sure if adding 5/8" to the end of an already larger weapon (than I'm used to carrying) is a worthy compromise. I have small hands and fat fingers. I'll let you know what ultimately works for me. Nice .45 man!

·
Premium Member
23,668 Posts
i totally enjoy my subbie as u found its not a long range target pistol , least not for me, but anything up close in a defensive combat range , well it puts them where i want them . i dont use the pinky grips i have better luck without them, and easier to carry canceled for me, glad u joined the subbie club

·
Registered
93 Posts
I put pearce grip exntensions on 3 of my 13 round mags. Left one with the flat baseplate in case I need the ultimate in cover. Yes it does add length to the butt which is the hardest part of the gun to hide. But the full handed grip and the added control of having a full grip make it very worthwhile. It's also makes it much easier to get a proper grp on the gun if you have to draw fast. Most everybody I know (which are quite a few, the little XD's are very popular) that has the sub compact model add the grip extension. With the short length the gun clears leather very fast by the way. I think you'll really enjoy your new gun. They are keepers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts