Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where: Action Impact Indoor Range - Southfield, MI
When: 10/14 (every tuesday 6-9pm 30 minute sessions)
Cost: $25 per session + 150 rounds minimum ($43 total this time with two boxes of mini-mags)
What: Short Classroom Session followed by a 30 min range excersize using their (automated/computer controlled) moving target system.

Varying Scenero's
*Standing - two hand, strong hand only & weak hand only
*double taps
*triple taps
*empty magazine within timeframe (rapid fire)
*seated shooting - two hand, strong hand only & weak hand only
*shooting while moving into a neiling position
*charging BG shoot to stop
*Shoot/NoShoot judgements (targets turned backward *or* forward at random throughout the excersizes)
*Running in place then stopping to engage when your BG target turned toward you.

Distances from 3-15 yds, varying per excersize.

"Tatical Accuracy" is the demand for these excersizes. These are not precision fire training excersizes. I took the whole excersize to be 'front site only' (10+ yds... under 10 i was going for point/shoot only) type of practice.

What i liked
- automated turning targets for the timed excersizes. Shows you just how long 1, 2, 3, 5, 10 and 15 seconds can be. Makes shooting paper a LOT more interesting.
- shoot/noshoot drills (targets would randomly turn backwards (faceing away) during shooting drills)
- The ability to doub tap/trip tap/rapid fire on an indoor range... and not getin trouble for it! :p
- The run in place then stop and shoot triple taps excersizes.
- shooting 175 rounds in less than 30 mins with only two 10 rounds mags with me :) :) :) :)

What i didnt like
- Having only two 10 round magazines with me. Even the hi-cap folks with two mags (the minimum recomended) were forced to reload quite a bit. I missed multiple target 'turns' do to reloading during excersizes when the hi-cap/lots of extra magazine folks were still shooting. I would recomend at least 50 rounds (total) magazine capacity for training like this. I cant imagine trying an excersize like this with a revolver and two speed loaders.

- the guy next to me with the 9mm who was a little out of controll on his double taps/triple taps at first. Dont enjoy sparks on the moving target motor shield on the lane next to me. He had to be warned several times on his muzzle directional control by the rangemaster as well. I am glad to say he took the instruction well and was shooting a LOT better at the back side of his 150 rounds.

What i'd like to see on future sessions
- Simulated Low light shooting scenero's
- my grouping size reduced by a factor of 50% overall (at all distances)
- an extra $60 in my pocket so i can try this out with my .40 cal ;)

Both of the rangemasters complimented me on my shooting. I'm VERY happy with the first segment/target. 2nd target is acceptable but i'd like to see a much smaller group. 2nd target included weak hand only at 10 yds, and strong hand only double/triple taps at 7/10 yds. It also contains my only miss on the silohutte outline.

Overall i really enjoyed this class, and will be taking another. In a couple weeks when i've got more $$ to play with :)
I'm going to attempt one a month for now.

1st target - single/dt/tt 10 yds or less - 90% of these shots are point&shoot/muscle memory shots. My little P22 'points' very well!

2nd target - 'front sight' targeting, weak hand only, strong hand only dtap/ttap

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
That sounds like a lot of fun, and a good test of skills. The killer is obviously the price, especially if you want to shoot a major caliber. You should try and get back to shoot your .40. Doing that with a .22 is no doubt fun, but the major caliber brings in a whole new challenge.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sounds like a lot of fun, and a good test of skills. The killer is obviously the price, especially if you want to shoot a major caliber. You should try and get back to shoot your .40. Doing that with a .22 is no doubt fun, but the major caliber brings in a whole new challenge.
Yea... i figure that with my XD40 i'd be looking at around $85-90 for 30 minutes of fun ($25 + 200 rounds). THis has a LOT to do with WHY i bought the walther. I'll definatly be back to do it with the .40.. but it'll probably be after x-mas hols.

I am happy to say that i've had the pleasure of some rapid fire/dt/tt excersizes with my .40 on private property and my groups are actually pretty consistent with what i produce with my .22 in rf/dt/tt excersizes. conversly i'm a little sad that the two are consistent. It shows me exactly how much of it is MY technique that i need to work on. I knew this already.. but it drives the point home.

Having a gun hobby on budget s*cks ;)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Plant.one, I train there as well. Capt. Fox puts you through your pases, that's for sure. You should try the low light Thursday nights. Bill turns off the lights at 7pm until close. It's fun to see all the lasers all over the place. I don't have a laser on my XD 9sc but have night sights. Also grab some Shoot & See's and use them for the low light shooting, works very well.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yea... i figure that with my XD40 i'd be looking at around $85-90 for 30 minutes of fun ($25 + 200 rounds). THis has a LOT to do with WHY i bought the walther. I'll definatly be back to do it with the .40.. but it'll probably be after x-mas hols.

I am happy to say that i've had the pleasure of some rapid fire/dt/tt excersizes with my .40 on private property and my groups are actually pretty consistent with what i produce with my .22 in rf/dt/tt excersizes. conversly i'm a little sad that the two are consistent. It shows me exactly how much of it is MY technique that i need to work on. I knew this already.. but it drives the point home.

Having a gun hobby on budget s*cks ;)
I train during the day and have had no issues with shooting double and triple taps in my lane. I even practice clip changes. I was told by the range officers there, that as long as they know you can handle your firearm, they have no problem training dt/tt/empty clip and clip changes. I must say though, I have almost 50 hours range time there. I bought a membership when I took my CPL class. When the SHTF, is not the time to try a clip change. Shooting from a holstered position is also a must and is allowed, as long as they say it's ok for you do do it. I have been there some days when there were new shooters and was asked not to holster and unholster my firearm. They said they did not want the new shooters to try things they were not used to.

Nice place to shoot.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll go check out a low-light thursday session one of these days. My shooting budget has been put on hold for a couple weeks due to needing a clucth in my truck. Parts arent too bad but the $500+ installation is a killer.

YOu're right about Capt Fox.. that man really keeps you working. He's a cool cat and cant wait to work with him more in the future.

Jerbear said:
I train during the day and have had no issues with shooting double and triple taps in my lane. I even practice clip changes. I was told by the range officers there, that as long as they know you can handle your firearm, they have no problem training dt/tt/empty clip and clip changes. I must say though, I have almost 50 hours range time there. I bought a membership when I took my CPL class. When the SHTF, is not the time to try a clip change. Shooting from a holstered position is also a must and is allowed, as long as they say it's ok for you do do it. I have been there some days when there were new shooters and was asked not to holster and unholster my firearm. They said they did not want the new shooters to try things they were not used to.
they've been good with me on the DT/TT thing as well. I dont have nearly as many hours as you on their range but as you've said - if they see you handling your firearm in a safe manner they do give you some leeway. I always run around 2 magazines of dt/tt while i'm there. I jsut try ot make sure i dont abuse the privlage :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts