Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, got a chance to take my new Savage to the range today, put about 40 rounds through it.
30 Magtech 150 gr FMJ,
5 Hornady 150 gr SST
5 F.A.M.E. Armamentos Inc. 7.61x51 150 gr fmj

FIT and FINISH: The rifle appears to have good workmanship, and no defects, from my first examination, I was happy with the overall quality of the build.

ACTION: At first the bolt action worked well. it wasn't silky smooth, but it was smooth enough for my liking. after about 30-35 rounds though, it was pretty darn rough, had to wack it to operate it. all in all it was OK, not great, but workable.

TRIGGER. The trigger pull was heavy, felt like double the pull on my stock XD trigger. it broke crisply, and was not mushy. I plan on getting a Rifle Basix trigger as soon as I have the money, so trigger is not that big a deal, in the long run.

ACCURACY: NOT HAPPY I was only shooting 50 yards, with the rifle resting on a block, no rear support. at 50 yards, most of my groups were like 5-8 MOA (2.5-4 in), with only 1 three shot group in to 1-2 MOA range. I do not blame this on the rifle though, I KNOW at least some of it was me, the few OK groups I got were proof that I need more practice and a better rest.

SCOPE: pure CRAP. it's a cheap Bushnell Sharpshooter3-9x40. the view through lenses was not crisp at all, in fact, it was pretty darn blurry, with and without my prescription glasses. I sincerely thing the poor quality of the scope was a big factor in the accuracy. Also, when I was done shooting, I discovered that the front mount had worked loose from the Rifle, making me wonder about how well I really shot.

RECOIL: it's a .308. they have some kick. The P.A.D. recoil pad that came on the rifle worked well, making the recoil more of a shove than a kick. this is the one thing I am happy with with no qualifications.

OVERALL: Overall, I got what I paid for, an entry level bolt action. I plan on upgrading the trigger, and getting a better scope and rings for it. The stickiness of the action after shooting for a while was disappointing. Overall, it's a decent rifle, and once I get it modified the way I want it, I feel pretty certain that it will work out. Though with the difficulties I had with it, I may have to stick with my Shotgun for hunting this year

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
Check to ensure that your optic is tight in its mounting device, that the mounting device is securely attached to a base (if it has one) or the rifle itself. Other than that, pics of the rifle and target or it didn't happen. Kudos if you include a hot chick and double-post in the NSFW Girls w/ guns thread.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Pics of the rifle and target or it didn't happen. Kudos if you include a hot chick and double-post in the NSFW Girls w/ guns thread.
+1 agreed

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The screws for holding the mounts to the rifle were loose when I was done, didn't figure that would happen from a 308 and only 40 shots.

Ask and you shall receive.

This is my rifle and target:

This is a close up of my "best" target:

I've shot better at that distance with the peep sight on my 12/22

My wife just got home from volunteering, she wasn't in the mood to pose with my rifle.

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found a TruGlo 3-9x50 on sail for $60 at Dick's. should work once I get it mounted. problem is my current rings are about 1/2 inch too far apart for it. this gets frustrating

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
At first the bolt action worked well. it wasn't silky smooth, but it was smooth enough for my liking. after about 30-35 rounds though, it was pretty darn rough, had to wack it to operate it. all in all it was OK, not great, but workable.

SCOPE: pure CRAP. it's a cheap Bushnell Sharpshooter3-9x40. the view through lenses was not crisp at all, in fact, it was pretty darn blurry, with and without my prescription glasses. I sincerely thing the poor quality of the scope was a big factor in the accuracy. Also, when I was done shooting, I discovered that the front mount had worked loose from the Rifle, making me wonder about how well I really shot.
Did you lube the bolt? Generally a little gun butter or similar behind the bolt lugs makes a world of difference.

Found a TruGlo 3-9x50 on sail for $60 at Dick's. should work once I get it mounted. problem is my current rings are about 1/2 inch too far apart for it. this gets frustrating
My suggestion, if you are serious about shooting, is to buy a decent scope. IMO, even though you didn't ask for it, the TruGlo is not an upgrade to your sharpshooter. There are plenty of $150-$250 scope options out there that will give you decent glass and repeatable performance. Considering how much .308 ammo costs, you really don't want to spend alot of time fighting your gear. Same suggestion goes for rings and bases.

Suggest a little locktite on the base screws as well.

Again ... just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My suggestion, if you are serious about shooting, is to buy a decent scope. IMO, even though you didn't ask for it, the TruGlo is not an upgrade to your sharpshooter. There are plenty of $150-$250 scope options out there that will give you decent glass and repeatable performance. Considering how much .308 ammo costs, you really don't want to spend alot of time fighting your gear. Same suggestion goes for rings and bases.
Thanks for the input. I'll admit it was something of an impulse buy, being originally priced $200, with BDC and illuminated reticle, I thought it was worth the risk, and I'm willing to live with it if it doesn't work out, lesson learned. I'll say one thing, the glass is much clearer than it is on the sharpshooter, and the 50mm objective lens is great at gathering light. I'm looking for good bases and rings now, so I can mount the thing. what would you suggest?

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Thanks for the input. I'll admit it was something of an impulse buy, being originally priced $200, with BDC and illuminated reticle, I thought it was worth the risk, and I'm willing to live with it if it doesn't work out, lesson learned. I'll say one thing, the glass is much clearer than it is on the sharpshooter, and the 50mm objective lens is great at gathering light. I'm looking for good bases and rings now, so I can mount the thing. what would you suggest?
Well I'm partial to Leupold Mark4s and Badgers but not everyone wants to spend that much on rings. Burris, Warne, and TPS make good rings for about $50 that will last. I run a 700 so I can't make suggestions for a base but I'm sure that all of those mentioned make bases for a Savage.

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I'm partial to Leupold Mark4s and Badgers but not everyone wants to spend that much on rings. Burris, Warne, and TPS make good rings for about $50 that will last. I run a 700 so I can't make suggestions for a base but I'm sure that all of those mentioned make bases for a Savage.
Thanks. I'll be sure to post when i get the scope mounted to tell how it goes

·
Registered
339 Posts
I read that you had the rifle resing on a block when you shot your groups. Resting on a hard surface will cause accuracy problems. Shoot off of something with some give, most people use sandbags. Personal.ally I sight my rifles in off of a back pack and use a sweatshirt or towell to support the back. I do this in the prone position. Throw a couple towels in a pack, grab one for the butt of the rifle and give that a try. You will get better results.

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I read that you had the rifle resing on a block when you shot your groups. Resting on a hard surface will cause accuracy problems. Shoot off of something with some give, most people use sandbags. Personal.ally I sight my rifles in off of a back pack and use a sweatshirt or towell to support the back. I do this in the prone position. Throw a couple towels in a pack, grab one for the butt of the rifle and give that a try. You will get better results.

Yeah, I forgot to grab my backpack for a rest. stupid decision, next time I'll plan better. I liked the rifle, but not the scope, and not myself for being stupid.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts