Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got it yesterday, cleaned it and took it to the range today. I think i may have put to much oil on, because when I shot it it some spots would drain(probably not the best word) out.
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/photo-gallery/87523-its-here-its-here-cant-wait-get-range.html

Now for the pics. This was only the second time shooting a hand gun, and the first time shooting this one.
Top 2 were @ 15'

Middle and bottom 2 were @21'

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/imag0818t

Second target @21', dont pay attention to the holes from the shoulder up, I was messing around for a little bit.
[URL="http://imageshack.us"][IMG]http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/880/imag0820os8.jpg

3rd target @21' 16 rd mag

4th target 10rd @21' 10rd mag with Pearce grip

everything went great, shot 150 rounds of cci bb. Only problem my 10rd mag would sometimes not lock back on the last round.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Good report! That looks really good considering it was your first time! The failure to lock back could have been your thumb hitting the slide lock. Sometimes it is the mag that causes that problem, but the majority of the issues end up being the grip, especially when you are new to the XD. Keep tracking when it happens, if it only happens with the 10 round mag, then make sure you aren't gripping any different with that short mag vs. the high capacity mag. If your grip is the same, it sounds like it is the mag. If that is the case, contact SA and they should replace it for you.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Went to the range on Friday, got a much better grouping. Only had enough spare cash for 50 rounds, so I'll have to wait to next week to see if i can get a closer grouping.

This was the second time out with the xd9.
at 21'

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Getting better.

??
What exactly is limp wristing. When i relax my arms and let the gun recoil my shots are a lot better. But when I have a firm grip i shoot low sometimes. I did a big target and my grouping spread out from last week, but when i relaxed my arms\/\/\/

12 shots at 21' with relaxed arms.

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
I shoot better over all if I am relaxed. If I grip to hard I also do not shoot well. There is a balance in between there that is perfect. Lots of practice produces muscle memory and a more consistent shooting stance and grip. Have fun, I love my 9sc.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
If you try to stop the recoil all together you will push your shot low...just like if you don't apply enough pressure with your left and you'll push your shots left...It's all a balance and you need to practice and get the feel for it and the muscle memory...Nice job though!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Much better than I did with my XD40sc the first time! Looks good!

Walker
I have both the XD-9sc & the XD-40sc. Just to be clear, I find I am much more accurate with the 9sc, therefore it's the one that gets daily holster duty vs. safe duty. Probably due to the lack of recoil of the 9MM vs. the .40 cal.

BTW.... Great shooting pwd! You're getting better each time you go out. If only I had time to get to the range once a week.... but I digress...

MM

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the comments. Since my last post I have gone to the range twice. Last week my shooting was terrible. I didn't even take the targets home, that's how bad it was. Out of 100 shots I probably hit the orange center 15-20 times

This week was better, but not as good as I feel I can do.

I'm only at 500 rounds, but I know I can shoot better. I just have to actually get myself to shoot better.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
You've got a keeper......... sometimes it seems people fret a bit about their range outings..... remember this...

You will not shoot someone from 25 yards defending your life, it will more like be 12 feet or less. Trust me..

You are shooting superbly with a subcompact...... you'll have no problems, and once the trigger gets broken in good (around 300 rounds) you will have an awesome gun.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Looks Good. Practice, Practice, Practice, you will get better. I like those 3 man targets on your first post. What is the name and lot number. I want to Get some for myself.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks Good. Practice, Practice, Practice, you will get better. I like those 3 man targets on your first post. What is the name and lot number. I want to Get some for myself.
They have 5 guys on them, 2 on top 1 in the middle and 2 on the bottom.

Target info

I think the type is S-2, there's not much written on it.

Plumfire Press, Inc
30A Grove Ave., Patchogue, NY11772
(516)758-4063
1-800-695-7246

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Finally got to the range again.
I'm happy. With what i got.
@21'

\/ Was all point and shoot, did not aim for a single shot. I heard alot about the point and shoot with the xd, and I wanted to have fun and not worry about accuracy, since I hadn't even held my xd since my last range trip.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Your practice is paying dividends already. I shoot twice a week with a Ruger mk III, shooting about 300 rounds of Bullseye target. I shoot a 1911 at IDPA once a month. The weekly practice with the .22 has helped me to train for the IDPA matches.

Bullseye shooting emphasises the fundamentals of shooting; sight alignment, trigger control, and timing. With these skills in hand, I can then concentrate on the IDPA scenario, rules of engagement and order of fire. The .22 is cheaper to shoot in order to learn the fundamentals. When I'm shooting the expensive centerfire I don't want to waste money.

I am eager to try my XD9 on the IDPA game. As good as you are shooting already you should look for an IDPA club near you! It is a blast!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I figured out how to correct what i was doing wrong.

@21'

·
Registered
67 Posts
wow great shooting!

what were you doing wrong?

Im getting used to my sub compact 9 and any pointers would be great.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts