Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys here is my 1st range report on my savage..I used factory ammo, 180gr federal with soft points.It was kinda cloudy and maybe 15 to 20mph side wind..here is my 1st 8 shots sighting in at 100yds ..I have to say i'm happy with the groupings that i got probably not the best but thus far the best for me..scope is nikon 4.5 x 12 x 40 with bdc..

2nd target at 200yds 4 shots, I forgot to compensate for the side wind..

3rd target at 300yds also 4shots, the 1st 2 shots i did not compensate the wind again!!but then i remember on my 3rd and 4th shots..

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
errr, ummm what's the caliber? 308? 30-06? and what is the size of that red target?
Looks pretty darn good for a new barrel.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
A one inch grouping at 300yds ( admittedly only two shots after compensating ), I don't think you can seriously ask for better than that. Would a custom built multi-thousand dollar gun do appreciably better than that on a given day? I doubt it.
Pray thanks to your particular gun-gods and take good care of it.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kaboom thanks man i was surprise too when i retrieved my target, i'm like heck yes!!the nikon bdc really works..and yes i should have compensate after my 1st shot ..

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
kaboom thanks man i was surprise too when i retrieved my target, i'm like heck yes!!the nikon bdc really works..and yes i should have compensate after my 1st shot ..
i was going to ask you about the BDC i just got a nikon prostaff 3x9 with it. havent used it yet but mine is mounted on my 18" ar-15

·
Registered
5,752 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Posts like this kill me!

My new Savage 10FCP HS Precision is still in the shop getting worked over. I've never even shot it. I took delivery and then dropped it off at the 'smith... Seems like an eternity ago (5 weeks).

I've never tried the whole "BDC" reticle thing before, but for this gun I decided to give it a go. I ended-up with the Pride Fowler RR800-2 which has this reticle:

I can't wait to try it out!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
thats a nice looking gun and i love the .308 caliber
how much did that gun run you not including the nikon scope

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought it slightly use for 499.99 and the scope is 270..Thats the most i paid for a scope, i figure if i want to shoot LR i need a good scope..
thats a nice looking gun and i love the .308 caliber
how much did that gun run you not including the nikon scope

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
is it just me or are those scope rings pretty high?
I was thinking the same thing...

IMO you could stand to get some lower scope rings. The closer to the bore your scope is, the better off you will be. It will probably be easier to comfortably look through the scope also with that low comb on the stock.

I personally like having my scopes as close to the center of the bore as possible. You get less deviation at distance this way.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
I was thinking the same thing...

IMO you could stand to get some lower scope rings. The closer to the bore your scope is, the better off you will be. It will probably be easier to comfortably look through the scope also with that low comb on the stock.

I personally like having my scopes as close to the center of the bore as possible. You get less deviation at distance this way.
+1
although your shots do seem fine. i think you might be better off but what ever works for you. i just prefer to have the scope as close to the bore as possible. i think that having the scope as low as you can is a common practice among target shooters.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
+1
although your shots do seem fine. i think you might be better off but what ever works for you. i just prefer to have the scope as close to the bore as possible. i think that having the scope as low as you can is a common practice among target shooters.
It is practice to get the scope as low to the bore as possible, but everyone's head is different and what works for you may not work for him.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
I'd try some 168g match ammo. You'd be surprised at how much your groups tighten up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts