Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of you are getting sick of all the newbies getting guns and posting about it, but I'm going to do it anyway, since I have PICS!

I recently purchased my first pistol, XD.40SC
I will be mainly using it for home defense, but will be taking my Kansas conceal carry class in a couple weeks.

I went to the range today for the first time. I have maybe fired 50 pistol rounds before in my life. So, I had very little expectations or experience.

The top target is 40 rounds from 7 yards, and bottom target is 10 rounds from 15 yards. I only shot 50 rounds... no feed or ejection problems, but one round did not fire.

I did not like how far and how much pressure I had to put on the trigger until it would fire. Once I was ready to fire, I had to squeeze further and harder, which I assume would throw off my concentration and aim.

I also need to do some research on shooting with both eyes open. I shot with both open a handful of times, but when I was really trying to be accurate, I would close one eye.

How did I do? I find it weird that I shot groups, but they were in different places.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Nice shooting. You'll notice the trigger will get much smoother with more rounds downrange. Took about 500rds before my 40sc turned into butter. But dry firing/snap caps will get you there real quick and cheaply too. Congrats on the new gun.

·
Premium Member
7,343 Posts
Hutch-

Nice weapon--and very good shooting for virtually first time out. I think those above put it best...practice, practice, and more practice. Bottom line--looks like you are on target...and thats a good thing.

My only tidbit from experience would be continue to work the trigger. I am assuming you are right handed. If you were to take all your targets and fold them in half...you would have to agree you tend to shoot to the right--a laymans guess would be that this is caused by jerking/pulling the trigger slightly...and maybe overcompensating with your support hand (if used) or squeezing/flexing your grip as your about to drop the plunger. Looks like you are not anticipating the recoil--that's a good thing...otherwise your shots tend to be lower.

So, just work on a smoother trigger pull and see if that aligns your shots closer to the middle of the paper.

Trust me, you are in great shape right now...a little bit more practice and you should be in the 10-ring virtually every time you pull the trigger.

Great job and have fun!

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
Not bad. I would recommend some Pearce grip extensions as I noticed an immediate improvement once I put those on my mags. Also, check out the links below, they helped me a lot!

http://www.targetshooting.ca/docs/Pistol_Shot_Analysis.pdf
http://www.targetshooting.ca/docs/grp-analysis.pdf
http://www.targetshooting.ca/docs/shooting_faults.pdf

This is another great thread that helped me:
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/general-hs2k-sa-xd-talk/30361-gripping-subcompact-step-step.html

Congrats and welcome!

·
Registered
16 Posts
You are doing better than me! I put another 100 rds downrange today and I am getting better with my groups but my low and left habit is getting very old. As far as the .40SC man I love it, especially after a bit more range time and getting comfortable with it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone! I'm going to purchase a Pearce Extension or two. I think that will help some. I was shooting two handed, and I am right handed.

On my second target(upper right in the photo) I was getting used to the trigger and figuring out exactly when it would fire. So, I was not having to keep pulling and wait for it to fire. I think that is why you see some improvement.

Is it true, like someone posted above, that the trigger will get "better" as time goes on?

I really like the gun.... although I have very little to compare to. I will be adding night sights soon. I knew buying guns was going to be an addiction, but I didn't realize upgrades/accessories would be also. I wish ammo wasn't so f-ing expensive...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice shooting. You'll notice the trigger will get much smoother with more rounds downrange. Took about 500rds before my 40sc turned into butter. But dry firing/snap caps will get you there real quick and cheaply too. Congrats on the new gun.
Please explain?
Does a trigger really "break in"?

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
yep looks good to me.. yes, the gun gets smoother and smoother with the more rounds you put through it.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Not bad for basically the first time out...If you are right handed and you are not jerking the trigger try putting a little more pressure with your left hand on the grip...Push the gun forward with right pull back with the left...Or vice/versa.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Welcome to the world of the Xd. I made a purchase three weeks ago and love it. Don't worry about your shooting. I did not start making groups for months when I first started shooting a year and half ago.
With some range time I now enjoy putting HOLES in my targets. So practice on the fundementals, grip, finger placement,trigger squeeze, sight picture and follow through ,it will get better. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I took a 3hr. NRA beginners class last night at my local range. It was informative, but nothing I hadn't heard before. It was good to be able to ask some questions while on the range. The class was $80, which included 50 rounds and a $20 year membership to the indoor range. So, the class wasn't that expensive.

It was similar to the motorcycle class I took a few years ago.... a few people should not own guns, and just don't have what it takes to handle one.

The instructor really pushed Glocks... since they survived the torture tests and are easy to clean. I wasn't happy that she influenced half the class to want a Glock.

I am taking my Kansas conceal carry class on Saturday!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Show this to your NRA Instructor...

SPRINGFIELD ARMORY
Hey, thanks alot for that link. I have been on the fence for awhile regarding which sc to buy. My first love will always be HK, but their P2000SK's grip is just not right. Their only fix they tell me is to purchase full size mags and use those instead. Well, that would defeat the purpose of a SC then. I had read mixed reviews of the XD. I'll be doing some more research, but I think I might just get that XD now. That was a very impressive review, thanks again for posting it.

·
Registered
948 Posts
yes it just gets better from here!! dry fire will also help (need to do more my self)the more rds. the smother it gets.good luck!!!!:cool:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
nice, im whiteboy from kcsr. had to join and post
Cool, someone from this board led me to KCSR, so I'm glad I could lead someone else back to here.

I saw you are in CoMo... I graduated from MU a year ago and then moved from St. Louis to Kansas City. I'll have to try one of the Columbia ranges when I pass through. I still have some friends in CoMo that like to shoot.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts