Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First time shooting the Kel-Tec PF-9.

Designed with maximum concealability in mind, Kel-Tec claims it's the lightest and flattest 9mm ever made. Until Springfield decides to make something in this form factor, the PF-9 is my primary EDC weapon.

• Calibers: 9mm Luger - 9 x 19 mm
  • Weight unloaded: 12.7 oz. - 360g
  • Loaded magazine: 5.5 oz. - 156g
  • Length: 5.85" - 149mm
  • Height: 4.3" - 109mm
  • Width: 0.88" - 22mm
  • Barrel Length: 3.1" - 79mm
  • Capacity: 7 + 1
  • Trigger Pull: 5 lbs - 22.2N

This was my first time shooting the Kel-Tec and being a lightweight gun I was expecting a lot of recoil. It did not disappoint, more on that later.

Warm up - 7 yard range

As soon as I became comfortable with it I was putting the shots where I wanted them.

Fast follow-up shots - 7 yard range

This is firing seven shots at a time trying to get back on target as quickly as possible for each follow-up.

Positives:
For what it is, I'm pleased. Great form factor, decent accuracy and fairly inexpensive.

Negatives:
When you fire the trigger guard hits your trigger finger hard smashing a bit of flesh up against the side edge of your fingernail. I shot 92 rounds and the last ten or so were quite painful.

It's hard to make out in the pictures above but the pin closest to the C in Kel-Tec would work it's way out about 1/8th of an inch every 14 shots. I suspect Loctite will cure the problem. If not I'll have to send it back to Kel-Tec for service. (or buy the pocket clip that replaces the plastic pins with metal screws.)

I shot my XDM-45 too, filed a separate range report.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
The PF-9 is a fine gun, for what it is ... I carry mine when I want to travel light.

As for the pocket-clip, no actual experience, but I hear they suck (KTOG) ... Just get the right screw at the hardware store, or put one small drop of locktite blue on it (push out an 1/8th of an inch, place the drop, then push it back in), and call it good.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
yep, one of my customers carries one, with the belt clip, & hydra shok's. slick set up, judging by his personality, never thought he edc, super nice/polite dude never thought he was into guns. we started talking about guns one time/mentioned a gun show, & i was like woah, craigs got a kel tec with federals. i was baffled, caught me off guard.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Those groups will get the job done! ;)

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
I had one and traded it for the smaller P3AT. I regret that. It was a great little pistola that never had one problem through several hundred rounds.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have one and it performs perfect. The only thing I didn.t like was the trigger pull but i am getting used to it. I glued a plastic furniture pad behind the trigger to prevent over travel and makes a big difference, also the handall jr makes firing it a little easier.

Ther's a way to straighten out the trigger also to prevent that pinching, look on KTOG. It's not really a good "range gun" take it enough to stay proficient, you got that! but you don't wanna go fire off a couple hundred rounds.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Obscura... Great grouping!!
If that one pin that started walking is just below the "C" (the smaller metal pin), that is the Trigger Block pin. That's the only pin you want to avoid taking out. :)

As you figure, a dab of lock-tite will cure it. If you were to call KT Service, that's what they'd recommend.

The 2 plastic pins above the trigger guard are where the PF-9 Belt Clip would mount, but some have modified the P3AT Belt clip to mount where the 2 rear pins are.

As for the trigger guard, you can definitely sand/scrape down any plastic flashing to start, then if need be, warm up the front edge with a hair dryer and reshape it just a bit. As mentioned, you can also use the hair dryer to gently heat & reshape the trigger to. Many of the larger fingered guys at KTOG have done this. :D

I've been pocket carrying my PF-9 every day for a bit over a Year now in Relaxed Fit jeans and Cargo shorts/pants. It's a good little 9mm and if you did have any issues, it's very easy to work on and KT Service is great for sending out replacement parts (at no charge).

Glad you like it!

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Nice write up. Hoping to do a write up myself once my pf9 comes in. Here's a pic.
Looked at all the online stores nobody had them in stock, finally found a guy selling this one.

·
Premium Member
127,268 Posts
Thanks for the very informative range report.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Love the gun and me thinks it's great CCW. However, shooting that little cricket hurts after like 50 rounds. Since I'm a wimp with big hands, I put on a LimbSaver 12013 on that sumbitz. Grips better with my big hands and recoil is more tolerable.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I picked one up last week, I can't wait to get a chance to shoot the thing. I plan on using it as my CCW. It's so light and thin, hopefully mine will work as good as yours.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts