Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my Remington 1911 R1 from Gander Mountain at about 9:30 AM and went straight to their indoor Livefire range. I put about about 78 rounds of WWB 230 grain Ball through it. No problems, no FTF, FTE, was great.
I forgot my phone, couldn't take pictures of my targets. But, believe me, I am better with the 1911 than the XDM.
Only problem I had was cleaning it. Guess the .45's in the Army were so "well" worn, that the assembly/disassembly was very easy. This 1911 R1 was very hard to get apart and back together, everything fits so tightly! But that is a good thing. All in all, I will have pictures the next time I go to the range.:)
Forgot...I have the "base" R1, with the fixed sights. Those sights are HUGE! Really like them.

·
Premium Member
12,086 Posts
Appreciate the write-up. I think this might be the year for me to bring home a 1911. It's appropriate given the anniversary, I think.

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I returned to the range today to fire off 150 more rds of 230 grain Ball and then 35 rounds of 230 grain JHP (all WWB). I used two new magazines I bought from "Cheaper than Dirt". Both "Remington" 8 round magazines. I also used the two 7 round mags than came with it.
I had no problems with 7 rounders or the first 8 rounder. However, when I used the second 8 rd mag, I did have a FTF. I believe it was my fault because I didn't make sure all the rounds were properly seated in the mag. After that little "hiccup", I expierenced 0 problems. (When I learn how to upload photos, I will post pics of my targets).

I shot at 5yards and 7. I can believe I am so much a better shot with the R1 than the XDM. Oh, I replaced the Rosewood" grips with rubber Houge grips. Boy, what a difference:eek:.
All in all, I am impressed with the R1:D. Also, cleaning was alot easier this time. I was able to disassemble and reassemble with no problems. Guess "muscle" memory is returning.;)

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm sure you'll like it for the "wow" factor. I had a 1911 (Taurus PT1911) and it was a great shooting experience, but for use as a personal defense weapon?

No thanks.

I'll stick with technology designed after McKinley's first term, thank you!

A 1911 is a gun you show your friends. A polymer pistol is a gun you show your enemies. In my current fiscal state, I have had to basically sell everything that isn't immediately important for my personal defense. I have one more rifle that's just "extra" from my "salad days" of gun ownership, where I could afford to be an idiot with my money.

I will put it up for sale shortly. Must be nice to:

1. Have a job with decent income and
2. Have a gun simply because it's nice to have and fun to shoot.

·
Premium Member
127,430 Posts
A 1911 is a gun you show your friends. A polymer pistol is a gun you show your enemies.

I am probably not alone here on XD Talk in challenging that statement.

·
Premium Member
12,086 Posts
Aye. The 1911 continues to be fielded by folks in uniform who could use practically anything they want, and yet they keep using JMB's "dated" design. A somewhat limited mag capacity (by modern standards) is the only shortcoming I've ever found with a properly tuned 1911. The slim profile, straight-back trigger pull, consistent single-action break, good sight radius, and good caliber combine to make it a great combat handgun today as well as in 1911.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Me three after Dan.

I get frustrated by the implication that the 1911 somehow isn't a modern handgun design, when most all the modern handguns owe JMB for their basic function to begin with. (Yes, this even includes GLOCKs!) Until a suitable, more reliable, and faster solution comes along to replace the delayed blow-back design; the 1911 is, and will continue to be, a modern firearm. As a matter of fact, since blow-back operated firearms with internal striking mechanisms pre-date the 1911, and the delayed blow back design itself, most of the latest and greatest pocket guns are less modern than the 1911!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Well the 1911 is a short single action trigger compared to the longer and heaver XD trigger, you better be better with the 1911.
That just shows you what you need to do to become a better shooter with the XD, better trigger and wrist control!

You may want a bushing wrench to help disassemble, you can get a polymer one for $5

·
Registered
942 Posts
+1
Any gun that shoots good, feels good, and is reliable is a gun worthy of showing your enemies, whether its metal or plastic.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
You are very misinformed my friend. Of course you DID buy a Taurus 1911?:rolleyes:

I'm sure you'll like it for the "wow" factor. I had a 1911 (Taurus PT1911) and it was a great shooting experience, but for use as a personal defense weapon?

No thanks.

A 1911 is a gun you show your friends. A polymer pistol is a gun you show your enemies. In my current fiscal state, I have had to basically sell everything that isn't immediately important for my personal defense. I have one more rifle that's just "extra" from my "salad days" of gun ownership, where I could afford to be an idiot with my money.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts

No thanks.

Get a better 1911. i hate when people say things like this. they come up with stupid things of why a gun is bad. glocks suck because of this and so on and so on. Xd suck because of this and so on and so on. a gun is what you make of it. i am sure there is atleast one person out there that loves hi-point and thinks all guns suck.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Congrats on the new 1911...Pics would be nice...:)

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hope these come through... $6.jpg

$7.jpg

$8.jpg

$10.jpg
Added houge grips, targets were at 7 yards at the indoor range. I have the bushing wrench. does make it easier to take down. I was commenting that compared to what I carried in the US Army, this R1 was quite difficult to dis assemble.:)

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

No thanks.

You're right, it is nice to have a job that I can afford this weapon. You're wrong about most of the other stuff. I plan on the R1 to be my carry weapon. I am very comfortable with it and I believe I am compentant with it. I, also like my XD(m) .45, but that will be the house weapon.
There will be a rifle in the near future to round out my "arsenal".
I am sorry to hear about your recent fiscal state. Just don't be angry that some may be better off than you. I don't become angry at those that are better off than me and can afford more than I can. Life, at times can really suck.

·
Premium Member
11,114 Posts
Very nice!

If you don't mind me asking, what was your cost? I bumped into one the other day at our local gun store and my eyes perked up... I may purchase one.

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very nice!

If you don't mind me asking, what was your cost? I bumped into one the other day at our local gun store and my eyes perked up... I may purchase one.
I bought it at Gander Mountain for $669.00. For them, I thought it was a great deal. I was looking at the Citidal and the Springfield GI Mil Spec. I couldn't see the sights with my 56 yr old eyes!:???: The sights on the R1 are HUGE!:)

·
Premium Member
11,114 Posts
I bought it at Gander Mountain for $669.00. For them, I thought it was a great deal. I was looking at the Citidal and the Springfield GI Mil Spec. I couldn't see the sights with my 56 yr old eyes!:???: The sights on the R1 are HUGE!:)
Thanks Rbrad! I will definitely put this on my list. :p

1 - 20 of 30 Posts