Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading your forums secretly :)P) for about a month now trying to decide on my next weapon. I had it narrowed down 3. Magnum Research Baby Eagle, CZ-TT .45 (Not actually made my CZ, and apparently the importing company went out of business so the warranty is void, though its the same gun as the EAA Witness. And ofcourse the beloved XD-40 4in bbl.

Ditched the CZ due to the above reasons. I liked the feel of the Baby Eagle but it had a Decocker and my current S&W 910 has one so not very effective for carry. So after talking to the Gun smith, and hearing his accounts of his own XD I went with that. Picked it up with 2 Hi-caps and a box of UMC Remington 180(?) Gr ammo.

Got it home and broke it down wow what a breeze so easy!! Cleaned it and lubed it (waiting on my blue wonder now!!), checked it over again to ensure sight alignment and the such. Proceeded to my backyard range and stapled up 4 paper plates and hit the line at 20 yards.

Lined up the sites squeezed trigger and missed!!! :*( Couldnt understand it, fired the whole clip and only hit 4 times. So I thought about it and decided to try the dredded two eye shooting....wow much better this weapon fires that way tons better then my S&W. So got the groups down to about 3 inches after the 3rd mag. Invited a friend to come down and shoot. He fired 5 shots and then stopped. Apparently the gun experienced a failure to feed. I went down and checked and there was a cartridge jammed between the back of the slide and the reciever ramp. I attributed it to his lazy wrist. So he ejected and fire the rest no problem.

Fired another 100 rds that day no problems groups getting tighter. Went out the next day after cleaning and lubing again on my first magizine the 9th round did the same thing, stuck the same place. Ejected the shell and fired some more. On my last mag I tried to recreate the problem by holding the gun very weakly. No malfunctions.

I've read that XD's fire most all ammo smoothly and accurately, but I've also read UMC Rem ammo is really dirty and crappy stuff. I checked the ramp and it seems smooth. Any suggestions or guesses of what the problem might be? Does the gun need to break in more? Is the ammo crappy? Or were those two catridges just crap.

I really love this gun and hope its an ammo problem and not the weapons. Gonna buy some WWB tomorrow and test that out. Thanks for the replies in advance.

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
Cyberbeer, hopefully it is the ammo. But do
break in the XD, clean it, lube it, and shoot it
and shoot it some more. :)

Good shooting. Also, welcome.

Ed

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Limp wristing usualy creates a FTE (Failuer To Eject). Try shooting it a bit more and see what happens. My XD-40 would work fine with facotry ammo but didn't like my reloads. Berry's plated FP 16gr and 180gr. I ended up polishing the feedramp, chamber and breach face and my feeding problems were solved.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Welcome to the HS/XD funhouse!!!
Another thing your want to make sure of is that your thumb is not moving up and touching and slowing down the slide. This can cause the hated 3 point jam.
Like oddjob said, number your mags and if it happens again check the mag out. Take it a part and pay attention to how the spring is installed when you pull it out of the mag. This high point of the spring should be on the front end of the follower.
I suspect the problem is the UMC ammo. I don't think the QC on it is very tight. WWB and American Eagle work great. I have used quite a bit of S&B without any problems also.
Happy shooting!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:

Shot today 50 rds of CCI Blazer, 50 rds of WWB. No problems whatsoever.
Mixed the rounds in both mags, fired off no problems. So I guess the conclusions would be UMC Remington ammo is no good in my XD.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Glad to hear its not the gun. Try about another 200 or so to make sure. I usually fire 300 rds before I'm satisfied.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I usually shoot 500 before I get to looking around to a specific problem, I have a XD 9 Tactical 5 in and out of about 200 rounds had 2 failures to eject, both ammo problems, with my reloads I was just testing how slow would it go before failure, that was about 900 fps with a 115 gr bullet, and the other was strange, I wasnt useing any crimp and I had a failure , I really couldny think what it could be ,crimp shouldnt cause that no way, but i took the rest of the loads back in and gave them a slight crimp and that was the end of that problem, I still dont believe that had anything to do with it, but all is well. I found tru graduation of speed has a big affect on XD, there is a point in FPS it must have to operate properly as any auto, so it is possible that some factory ammo just not up to the speed or pressure needed, and you will have a occasional feed or eject problem, so break it in more.

If you can find a friend who loads 40cal buy some off of him, if he will, I do for some of my really good friends, I have them stand right there as I load and have them look in everycase that there is no double loads or emties, I dont want anyone coming back saying I blew there gun up.

Well good luck and enjoy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts