Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I just wanted to post my 2nd range report. My girlfriend and I went out to the range on Saturday and went through about 160 more rounds in my XD-9 sc. I think it prefers the Wal-Mart WWB 115 gr FMJ for target shooting. I know I prefer it for the price. The gun is performing flawlessly so far.

I, on the other hand, am NOT performing flawlessly. I just suck. I tried the suggestions made by some of you on grip, stance, etc. I even showed the RO last time (before I left) how I was holding the gun. The only thing he mentioned was how my trigger finger was incorrect (pulling from wrong place on my finger). I corrected that this time. Long story short, I tried a lot of variations, and fixed some things. I felt comfortable holding the gun, and shooting. But, I did WORSE than the last time. I had fewer bulls-eye shots, and STILL pull 90% of my shots down and to the left. My corrective target indicates I'm still either tightening my fingers, or jerking/slapping the trigger. And I thought I had it figured out and would do better. Hah! Next time, I will ask the RO to watch me and give me some pointers or tips. I'm getting so frustrated. I know, I know: practice practice practice. I just thought I had things figured out for Saturday and I'd see improvement. Instead, I was worse.

The GOOD news about Saturday's range visit, was I know it's not my gun. Because my girlfriend shot it too, and she is fantastically awesome at it! She improved her groupings and aim since the last time. She's getting 2" groups (sometimes even 1" groups) centered IN the bullseye! She even had one shot go EXACTLY through the center! She's a deadly shot. I am extremely proud of her. Maybe I should get some lessons from her. :shock:

Anyway, that's my 2nd range report. Crappy for me. Awesome for my girlfriend. I'm guessing my next step is an evaluation and pointers from the RO (and my girlfriend), and tons more practice.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm no expert, but something that helped me with trigger control was concentrating on pulling straight back regardless if my sites were bouncing around. I adjusted my contact point on my finger until I could comfortably sqeeze in a perfect angle perpendicular to the barrel. While your trying this, steady yourself against the bench or a wall so you can concentrate of just the trigger. After you can hit consistantly this way do it without the support. if you start shooting erratically again than maybe it wasnt the trigger. Maybe your anticipating the recoil and pushing? Then you might also need to work on your shooting base/platform to steady the gun. My brother in law who is new to shooting is a professional photographer and relies on having a steady hand when he can't use a tripod. After getting his trigger finger under control, he's a better shot than me!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I picked up my XD sub 40 cal and squitred 150 rounds with no problems. The trigger seemed a bit rough..not as smooth as my XD 9 but all was ok. There were some small scratched on the slide when the packaging of the lock and bore brush scraped it. I took it anyway and dabbed som Birchwood blue on it followord by break free and the scratch disapperared

SA Mil Spec
XD 9 4 inch bbl
XD 40 sub

Bill

·
Registered
7 Posts
dave_in_delaware:

Sounds like a flinch to me. Do you have any snap caps? If not, get some and have a buddy load up a magazine with a few snap caps thrown in among the live rounds. Use that to shoot, and if you hear a click and the gun still moves, you know what the problem is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would recommend take a basic firearms safety or marksmanship class. A competent instructor will help find the problem in your technique.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My suby xd40 is working fine, no flinch no problems. The trigger pull does not FEEL like the xd 9 i have..there are 3 distinct 'stops' on the 9, and the trigger here does not feel as smooth, or the stops as pronounced....almost a scratchcy feeling to the trigger. but i am thinking its because its a smaller weapon. The accuracy is fine and so far no failures whatsoever. and groups are tight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts