Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So just got back from the range (desert) with my fiance. I recently purchased two new Shields both in 9mm for 380 after tax a piece. Vacation and work got in the way of me getting to run it through my reliability and function test. The gun was cleaned and lubed and then we headed out.

I shot a variety of ammo in multiple grains.
PPU
WWB
Cheap Tula Steel
Federal hollowpoints 50 rounds
Spree gold dots 50 rounds

I always test function with a variety. This gun will always be on me so I like to know function is 100% regardless of what it runs.

Function- Both Shields had 0 malfunctions. Fed reliably with the 7&8 round magazine. Intentionally limp wristed and still had 0 issues.

Ergonomics- Slide release is a bit tight, but pretty easy to manipulate. The safety is very easy to move, though I will probably carry with it in the off position. I purchased these a little before the none safety version was floating around. Safety is firm so I feel confident it won't click on during carry. The grip is good, but a little slick when sweaty. Talon grips should fix that. My hands aren't tiny, but they are fairly large. Unlike my xdm compact, the shield actually allows me to fit my pinky on the grip. I won't need a grip extension. Mag release is smooth and mag insertion isn't anywhere close to as tight as my xdm was.

Accuracy- This was the biggest plus for me. I shot an immediate 1.5 inch group at 10 yards. I'm a decent shot, but I was very impressed with the out of the box accuracy for such a slim gun. The best part was that my fiance shot her shield extremely well. The adjustment time was one mag and she was hitting her mark. We switched to silhouette and rapid fire at 20 yards was ringing steel every shot! All upper chest and head.

Cons- Mag Capacity leaves something to be desired, but not terrible for a single stack. Grip lacks enough texture to grip well with wet hands. Trigger is meh. My fiance didn't mind hers. Mine was heavy and break was unpredictable at times. Not terrible, but I'll get some work down to it to smooth it out.

Future mods- Talon grips (rubber most likely). Apex trigger kit. And probably tfo's or hd's.

In summary. For the price, the shield is hard to beat! With the single stack market booming, and many great rivals from kahr, SA, and remington (kidding) the shield is a great choice for anyone looking for a solid out of the box defense gun!

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Glad you like yours! I have had my shield since they 1st came out and love it. I don't think I've ever had a malfunction with mine so far, and I've also never had the safety engage on me while carrying it either. I usually try to put a mag or 2 through it every time I go to the range and it has eaten every type of ammo I've fed it like candy. My ONLY complaint is that the dust bunnies love to hide in every nook and cranny and also gum up the white dots a bit but nothing out of the norm.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the review, I'm trying to decide betweenthe Shield, the XD-s and a Berreta PX4 SC. It's good to know the Shield is reliable and shoots well out of the box.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad you like yours! I have had my shield since they 1st came out and love it. I don't think I've ever had a malfunction with mine so far, and I've also never had the safety engage on me while carrying it either. I usually try to put a mag or 2 through it every time I go to the range and it has eaten every type of ammo I've fed it like candy. My ONLY complaint is that the dust bunnies love to hide in every nook and cranny and also gum up the white dots a bit but nothing out of the norm.
I'm hoping the dust bunnies stay out of mine. I'll keep an eye out. There is a bunch of spots that definitely look like they can collect some dust. Especially because I plan on getting a pocket holster for it also. I'm glad you enjoy your shield!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
So... What took you so long to jump on the Shield bandwagon??? ;)
Mine was built in 04/12 and has been flawless too.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Thanks for the review. You got a very good price on the guns. I've had a Shield-9 for about a year and it has been flawless. The Talon rubberized decal grips work well.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Thanks for the review. You got a very good price on the guns. I've had a Shield-9 for about a year and it has been flawless. The Talon rubberized decal grips work well.

How are the talons at reducing felt recoil? I haven't had a chance to shoot a pistol with those installed and would like to put some on for my wife.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Nice write up, good guns. I never minded the trigger on my Shield so never changed it. My XDs and G30s are both stock triggers as well, I actually don't mind a 7-8 lb trigger on a carry gun.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you work for S&W or just own stock in the company?;)
Actually for several years I refused to buy Smith and Wessons. Other than wheel guns, I thought they built crap. And were politically iffy at times. But I really enjoy these guns. I'm fairly picky too.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I ordered them. Hopefully the shipping calculator is right when it said Friday. Doubt it with the holiday. Can't wait to get my hands on them.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice write up, good guns. I never minded the trigger on my Shield so never changed it. My XDs and G30s are both stock triggers as well, I actually don't mind a 7-8 lb trigger on a carry gun.
I think I'm just spoiled. Haha. I didn't have much of a problem with heavier triggers. Then I carried 1911s and a Sig 228 for a few years. I like 5 pounds or so in a carry gun personally.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Talon Grips for the SHield on sale today only, check out the post under Talon Grips in the Site Sponsors forum.
Have them on my XD, they're great. Ordered some for my shield, $14.99.

·
Premium Member
18,059 Posts
Don't forget to order the Talons for the Pearce extensions that you're gonna get.

Sent from the county jail.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Talon Grips for the SHield on sale today only, check out the post under Talon Grips in the Site Sponsors forum.
Have them on my XD, they're great. Ordered some for my shield, $14.99.
I literally purchased those a day before that. Haha. Oh well two extra bucks with free shipping I can live with! Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have yet to fire a SHIELD 9mm. I do however love my SHIELD .40

1 - 20 of 43 Posts