• Ported

• Not Ported

Results are only viewable after voting.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im buying an XD9 in the near future for range use. Im really not sure what i want so vote and give your reason so i can get help making a decision.

·
Registered
595 Posts
The ported models may be exciting to watch fire in an open field, but they are messier to clean and VERY annoying to other shooters on the range. The "sidepipe" fireball will destroy your ability to quickly reaquire the target in low light situations.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Also remember that ported barrels are not allowed in USPSA shooting. I'm not sure about IDPA but I'm think porting might move you to a more difficult class.

mcb

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I voted ported cause I own one and it's bada$$! :twisted:

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
TomSwift said:
Personally I don't think there is enough recoil with a 9mm to justify porting.
Yup....I have a Subcompact and it has very little recoil. Maybe it's me though, since I feel my .45 full size 1911 has minimal recoil. But I do know recoil when I feel it...I am not immune. I had a .44 Ruger I really had very little follow up shot control with. Had to shoot it single action too.

I can't see any reason for a ported 9mm. Other than they look cool. As others have mentioned there are also too many draw backs...dirty, disallowed in competition? (that I don't know about), flash will make you lose night vision.......So other than looking really cool (and they do), I can't think of a real reason to go ported. At least not with a 9mm.

Peace,
D.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
well they are disallowed in competition because they are bada$$ :twisted:

as far as being blinded by the flash at night, I suggest you close your eyes each time you fire or just keep blinking really fast :shock:

when camping you can start a fire without matches or kindling. also fire a shot and mosquitos will stay away from your campsite for hours. Who needs citronella?

I hear talk that ported XDs will be issued to fighter pilots. If ever they are downed in enemy territory a few shots can be seen for 12 nautical miles, thus assisting rescuers of your position for airlift.

(yeah, I had too much sugar today) :lol:

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
mcb said:
Also remember that ported barrels are not allowed in USPSA shooting. I'm not sure about IDPA but I'm think porting might move you to a more difficult class.

mcb
Ported pistols are not permitted in IDPA at all.

I don't see any need for a ported pistol in any caliber if the gun is to be used in a self defense roll. Heavy hunting calibers, yes. Some types of competition, sure. But the drawbacks far outweigh the advantages when using the pistol for protection, IMHO. Proper grip and stance will enable one to handle recoil in most any 9mm, .40 or .45ACP/GAP out there; if one can't handle the recoil, get a smaller caliber-you'll be better off in the long run.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sorry, there is another option!!! (BOTH) XD-Tactical 9MM and XD ported 4" 9MM. is what i usualy take..What can i say i likem both! :D

·
Registered
122 Posts
I really enjoy the ported XD at the range.
Ported handguns are a recent option by a few manufacturers for off-the-shelf purchase and you don't see that many out there. Custom port jobs have been around for awhile though.
Most folks don't own or haven't shot them but it doesn't stop their opinions.
For a range where you can shoot as fast as your finger can pull the trigger then the ports can give you an accuracy advantage. For self defense I would just replace the ported barrel with a standard one for around $150.00.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Palmetto said:
I really enjoy the ported XD at the range.
Ported handguns are a recent option by a few manufacturers for off-the-shelf purchase and you don't see that many out there. Custom port jobs have been around for awhile though.
Most folks don't own or haven't shot them but it doesn't stop their opinions.
For a range where you can shoot as fast as your finger can pull the trigger then the ports can give you an accuracy advantage. For self defense I would just replace the ported barrel with a standard one for around $150.00.
Well said.
Remember he said it's going to be a range gun, not a competition or defensive gun.
I loved my ported XD9 and hated to see her go.
Though the recoil is minimal from a 9mm the porting only improves on that. When I go to the range I rarely shoot anything less than a few hundred rounds, if a few holes across the top of my gun reduce the recoil I'm all for it.
Yes, for some situations, porting is not a good idea however for a range gun it is a great idea!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts