Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
POST THEM IF YOU GOT THEM. ANYTHING TO DO WITH WEIRD OR STUPID OCCURRENCES AT THE RANGE.

Here is mine:

Went to a different range today – a small, 7-bay range. I am shooting away with my XD-9 when a couple guys come in and start shooting a large-caliber pistol (couldn't see it long enough to identify) with a red laser sight. The first guy starts blasting away. I see the red laser dot jumping and quivering all over the target. He barely manages 6" groups at 7 yards. He decides to remedy his poor shooting with a laser by moving his target further out. I wanted to start laughing. Not that I am a great shot. I am mediocre. But I do know that if you can't shoot very good at 7 yards, you should probably stick to 7 yards until you can.

Another guy in a different bay starts shooting. This range has a "NO HEAD SHOTS!" warning posted in each bay, so that you aren't shooting the target hanger or its clip. Guy starts blasting away at the head of his center mass target. He consistently shot high and was hitting the metal target hanger. Fragments of the large projectiles were ricocheting everywhere: off the walls, ground and even back toward us! One hit my bay wall! They weren't traveling super fast, maybe 80 mph, but needless to say I finished up my box of 9mm cartridges as quickly as I could and got the hell out of there.

Anyone else got any good range stories...?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Don't you just love it when you get the rejects that come in and ruin your range trip?

I was at an indoor range a couple of weeks ago where I was the only one there for a while. It was nice and relaxing until this middle eastern or indian guy and his two 16-20 year sold kids come in. The father immediately starts shooting at his target at 5 yards as fast as he can and the bullets are going everywhere. I then overhear him tell the kids "thats how you do it." So he give the gun to his son who then proceeds to start shooting "gangster style" with the gun turned sideways and shooting as fast as he can. At the same time the father is setting up the daughter on the next stall and not supervising. Of course the son is all over the place and even started shooting diagonally at the sisters target with no regard for where the bullet is going. At this point I was fed up and started packing my gear to leave early when I saw the kid, knowing full well the gun was still hot playing around, pointing the gun all over the place and in the air while his sister was taking pictures on her cell phone. I didn't even bother finishing packing everything correctly, I just scooped it all into the bag or my hands and took off out the emergency door so I wouldn't have to go past them.

The lack of concern for the safety of others blew my mind. The other thing was that the RSO was no where to be seen when he should have dealt with the issue. I did say something when I went back in through the front door but I don't know what came of it because I took off.

·
Registered
886 Posts
This has been several years ago when the public range didn't have a officer. A couple guys showed drunk at a public range and curiosity took over better judgement so I set and watched them. These guys had a mini-14 with 30 round banana clips on a 50 yard range. They set a anti-freeze jug full of water at about 25 yards then unloaded the entire clip. Never hit it once, then the the shooter turns around and says "lookie Steve, I shot it to pieces."

Another time at different range shooting then this guy pulls up and sets his stuff down and starts to tell me about this old shotgun. Wanted to know if will handle some 00 buck shot 2 3/4 heavy loads. So I looked and said the barrel was nitro proofed should be OK. Then he asked if I wanted to shoot it, I asked why he said "just in case it blows up"

·
Registered
52 Posts
This has been several years ago when the public range didn't have a officer. A couple guys showed drunk at a public range and curiosity took over better judgement so I set and watched them. These guys had a mini-14 with 30 round banana clips on a 50 yard range. They set a anti-freeze jug full of water at about 25 yards then unloaded the entire clip. Never hit it once, then the the shooter turns around and says "lookie Steve, I shot it to pieces."

Another time at different range shooting then this guy pulls up and sets his stuff down and starts to tell me about this old shotgun. Wanted to know if will handle some 00 buck shot 2 3/4 heavy loads. So I looked and said the barrel was nitro proofed should be OK. Then he asked if I wanted to shoot it, I asked why he said "just in case it blows up"
Bahaha, can't say he is stupid

·
21,878 Posts
Went to Usery outdoor range in Mesa and I took a Soldier friend of mine shooting with my father. My friend is 6'2 and about 240, a pretty solid guy. So me and my dad are loading a few mags while these 3 gays next to use are trying to figure out how to use their pistol ( seem like they where pretty new at the stuff, calling them clips, load the shells, racking the slide by turning the weapon sideways and flagging the whole line ). The range went cold and your not supposed to touch anything on your bench when its cold. Well the 3 gay guys started to load their mags and my dad corrected them and told them the rules of the range. You could tell they where upset but they understood. When everyone got back the range went hot and the guy flagged my dad as he was loading a mag. My dad grabbed his gun ( since it was only a foot away ) and turned the barrel back down range and told the guy that if he didnt shape up he would need to leave. The 3 got offended by them and started to size my father so I stood next to my dad, waiting for them to make a move. You could see the gears turning in the guys head with the loaded pistol. Well at this point my friend just got done shooting his mag and see us in each others faces. He puts down his pistol and walks over to my dad and tell hims "Is there a problem here Mr. Mason?". After that my friend gave them the death stare. You could see the 3 gay guys size him up and realize that he was the biggest of the group started to rethink their agenda. They ended up packing up and leaving at that point. Then my friend then turns to my father and says "how does that shot group look to you?" After the range we went home and cleaned the guns and had cigars. What an awesome trip.

·
Registered
408 Posts
ArmyGuy45,

Married here, with 3 kids, and no desire to ever dip my toes in the gay gene pool, but I have to ask...would you have talked about the "three straight guys" if that had been the case? Not sure what identifying them as gay, if you can be sure they were, adds to your illustration.

Or were you just using the term "gay" as a derogatory term to identify the group of three although you had no idea as to their orientation? Doesn't seem any better if that was the case.

Sorry, not wanting to create a confrontation, just vaguely disturbed. Besides, range jerks are range jerks no matter which way they are oriented.

RJ

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I was the only one at an open (no officer) range when 3 college guys show up with a .22 rifle. Everything is fine until I called the range cold (verified they put the gun down, with chamber open) and went to set up new targets at 200 yd. As I'm walking back, they STARTED SHOOTING. I did a running detour to the side and back then over to them. I really can't repeat what was said to them, but they were surprised I was angry as "they were 8 stalls away"! Lot's of head gasket material was blown at that point and a few more expressions of displeasure at their actions were made. They left quickly and muttering about "crazy old guys".

That was the last time at a public range.

·
Registered
138 Posts
ArmyGuy45,

Married here, with 3 kids, and no desire to ever dip my toes in the gay gene pool, but I have to ask...would you have talked about the "three straight guys" if that had been the case? Not sure what identifying them as gay, if you can be sure they were, adds to your illustration.

Or were you just using the term "gay" as a derogatory term to identify the group of three although you had no idea as to their orientation? Doesn't seem any better if that was the case.

Sorry, not wanting to create a confrontation, just vaguely disturbed. Besides, range jerks are range jerks no matter which way they are oriented.

RJ
Married White American here, with no way to become Indian or Middle Eastern and no Desire to "dip my toes in the gay gene pool" but I have to ask.
Why do you call out one person for describing people based on their appearance, demeanor, actions, etc. but not another (in case you're confused see post #2) because clearly that poster wasn't aware of their race or nationality no more than the poster you jumped on knew if the guys were gay or not. So are you implying that Race DOES matter when it comes to "Range Jerks" since you didn't jump on him??? All I'm saying is if you're going to call one out, you've got to call them all out or none at all.

On with the stories :) I find entertainment in them and it makes me appreciate the well enforced local range I'm a member of.

Phillip

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Saw a couple of tools come up next to me and my cousin at the 100 yard range with armloads of 'tacti-cool' crap... they wre laughing loud and acting like donkeys, so my cousin and I shook our heads and gave each other a nod like "yeah, this is going to be bad"...

We didnt have to wait long, about 5 minutes later one of them picks up the other ones high powered rifle, put the scope about an inch from his eye and BLAM! Scope bit... blood all over his face, and screaming like little girls... needless to say they calmed down their dumbness after that.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Now thats funny, I don't care who you are.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I saw a guy teaching his girl friend to shoot a 1911. They were up at the line, time to shoot, loaded and cocked in the girls hand. She changed her mind and would not be persuaded to try it. She handed it back to her boy friend who decided they would just leave. The first thing he did was grab the cocked hammer with thumb and forefinger and pull on the trigger to decock. It went BANG. He and girl friend turned white and he held up the 1911 with the slide and housing holding the web of his hand. Cocked, loaded, and ready to shoot.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Why do you call out one person for describing people based on their appearance, demeanor, actions, etc. but not another (in case you're confused see post #2) because clearly that poster wasn't aware of their race or nationality no more than the poster you jumped on knew if the guys were gay or not.
Phillip
You have a point. However, ones race is usually written on their skin. They may be African-American, Indian-American, Asian-American, or someone visiting (and so on and so on), but there is usually some evidence that they are one or the other. Gay is not written on your skin. There may be mannerisms, but I have a couple of friends that I was pretty sure were gay, but are not.

Also, calling someone an African-American is not a slur, it is a fact. If you know for a fact the guys were gay, then I guess it is OK. If you are gay and you know it, raise your hand and all that.

As to your point, I have to agree that, unless it has an illustrative purpose, then it is not really necessary to point out their race, culture, religion, etc. Thanks for setting that straight.

RJ

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Married White American here, with no way to become Indian or Middle Eastern and no Desire to "dip my toes in the gay gene pool" but I have to ask.
Why do you call out one person for describing people based on their appearance, demeanor, actions, etc. but not another (in case you're confused see post #2) because clearly that poster wasn't aware of their race or nationality no more than the poster you jumped on knew if the guys were gay or not. So are you implying that Race DOES matter when it comes to "Range Jerks" since you didn't jump on him??? All I'm saying is if you're going to call one out, you've got to call them all out or none at all.

On with the stories :) I find entertainment in them and it makes me appreciate the well enforced local range I'm a member of.

Phillip
Phillip,

The post about the "gay guys" was written as a pejorative to denigrate the subject individuals. Some find it offensive some don't -- the poster that complained about it did appear to find it offensive. Post #2 simply identified the bad actors with a descriptor. Much like you self identified by race and orientation. But a slightly skeptical further reading could indicate you are a racist homophobe given your comments about Middle Easterners, Indians and "the gay gene pool". Not that I think you are, but you did open the door that any comments or identifiers are instantly negative. See the irony?

We all know idiots come in all shapes, sizes, ethnicity, practice all known religions and hold every job. Identifying the idiot by segment of humanity does not indicate intrinsic hate for said segment.

·
21,878 Posts
I wrote gay cause thats how these guys were 3 flamers. Gay and very proud of it. They wore very bright colors and all talked like a women. I dont understand how I can be called white and it socially acceptable yet if I call someone of darker skin "black" its not ok. But thats besides the point.

Like posted before, if they were straight red necks I still would of shown the same "respect". They ( the gays ) did not respect the range rules therefore I find what I and my father did perfectly acceptable.

·
Registered
936 Posts
geez. PC bullsh** infects even XDTalk. Is there no escaping it?

·
21,878 Posts
geez. PC bullsh** infects even XDTalk. Is there no escaping it?
Now with all the finger pointing that goes on in todays world. I said the story as it was. See no reason to leave details out.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Phillip,

The post about the "gay guys" was written as a pejorative to denigrate the subject individuals. Some find it offensive some don't -- the poster that complained about it did appear to find it offensive. Post #2 simply identified the bad actors with a descriptor. Much like you self identified by race and orientation. But a slightly skeptical further reading could indicate you are a racist homophobe given your comments about Middle Easterners, Indians and "the gay gene pool". Not that I think you are, but you did open the door that any comments or identifiers are instantly negative. See the irony?

We all know idiots come in all shapes, sizes, ethnicity, practice all known religions and hold every job. Identifying the idiot by segment of humanity does not indicate intrinsic hate for said segment.
My self identifying of myself was purely in mockery (yes, I was being an ass) of the previous posters self identification, due to me thinking it was a completely unnecessary prequel to his statements that followed that's why I quoted him verbatim but added in the race as I feel if he had responded to both post he would have done the same (assumption), or should have because if you're worried about pointing out that you're straight you might as well be worried about pointing out your race as well.

Where did the poster about the "gay guys" ever specify that being gay was a negative thing? You're only making assumptions. It sounded like a descriptor to me the same way that post #2 was a descriptor of the persons race. In fact you could put the word "gay" in place of "middle eastern or Indian" and vica-versa and the stories would have remained the same.

"Identifying the idiot by segment of humanity does not indicate intrinsic hate for said segment."

This is my feelings as well, so all I was saying is that if you're going to assume one guy doesn't know sexual orientation and that that descriptor was unnecessary you should carry that across to all descriptors that are shown with uncertainty (which I think poster #2 was much more uncertain about the bad actors exact race then the "gay guys" poster was about his description of the bad actors sexual orientation based on written information we had in the post without making any assumptions.) why get offended by one description and not another?

Phillip

I'm slowly starting to see why I keep my mouth shut on these forums more and more....to much is assumed and/or missed by the readers.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was the only one at an open (no officer) range when 3 college guys show up with a .22 rifle. Everything is fine until I called the range cold (verified they put the gun down, with chamber open) and went to set up new targets at 200 yd. As I'm walking back, they STARTED SHOOTING. I did a running detour to the side and back then over to them. I really can't repeat what was said to them, but they were surprised I was angry as "they were 8 stalls away"! Lot's of head gasket material was blown at that point and a few more expressions of displeasure at their actions were made. They left quickly and muttering about "crazy old guys".

That was the last time at a public range.
I take offense to the fact that you called them college kids. Did you for a fact know that they were enrolled in college at the time or are you just assuming because they were between the ages of 18-25.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts