Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this topic has not been beaten too death but I did try to do a search with out much results. I am new to guns and am looking for my first range bag. I have looked around and am looking for what people hear might think is a nice bag. I would not say price is no object but I am willing to pay for quality instead of having to replace it in a year and spend more money. I have seen good reviews about the Midway Bag. I saw nice things about the Voodoo Tactical bags and also the 5.11 bags. Any input from you would be great to help me decide.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
i second that I have the large midway bag and love it. Now that I have a second pistol it's even better. I recently bought the little one that was on sale for like $8 and I'm not quite sure it's large enough for full on range duty.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I hope I don't get run off for this but....I bought a Winchester range bag from wal-mart for 20 bucks...has two side pockets for two pistols, came with two velcro pistol pouch things to put the pistols in then slide them into the side pouches, has plenty of room for ammo for a range trip and ear muffs/glasses...I know it is not the fanciest bag but it is plenty for me and gets the job done....

·
Registered
895 Posts
I hope I don't get run off for this but....I bought a Winchester range bag from wal-mart for 20 bucks...has two side pockets for two pistols, came with two velcro pistol pouch things to put the pistols in then slide them into the side pouches, has plenty of room for ammo for a range trip and ear muffs/glasses...I know it is not the fanciest bag but it is plenty for me and gets the job done....
i also have a winchester wal-mart special, for $20.00 its not a bad deal but it does look like a bowling bag. i was eyeing up a midway compact competition bag, the large midway bag is just too much for my needs. midway bags have a great price as compared to 5.11.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I buy one of the Cheaper than Dirt SWAT Responder bags every time they go on sale for $20.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I just got the midway compact range bag. I paid for it 2 days ago and it was on my doorstep last night. Seriously quick shipping. I haven't used it yet but it seems like it will work great.

·
Banned
110 Posts
lol... I just use my gym bag that I got for free when I signed up at my gym; I trade out my lifting belt, gloves, log, and supps for my gun (in the factgory carry box), ammo and all other supplies.

I don't see why this is such a pondered item. If anything, hit up Wal-Fart and get a $10 bag. END/

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
NCSTAR SHOOTING RANGE GUN AMMO NYLON PISTOL BAG CASE

on ebay for $12.00 with free ship

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I bought the MidwayUSA competition range bag for $39.99. I couldn't be more pleased with the quality and construction. All the pockets and walls are padded/lined and has enough storage to put 4-5 pistols. It comes with 2 separate padded gun rugs. There's also an internal open top carrier that goes inside the main compartment for ammo, used brass, and side pockets for 2 additional guns. The walls are rigid enough that it maintains its shape (box) which was a pleasant surprise. When I received mine in the mail, it came in a big box. It's not like the other bags where they flatten it down and stuff it in a plastic bag. This one was ready to go.

I can go on and on and on, but I am not able to find a quality build at this price point anywhere. I originally wanted a black one but they only had the olive drab available so I picked that up, which I actually like better. It certainly does not look cheap. Fits all my guns, ammo, tools, targets, rags, notepads, attachments, snacks, drinks, all the mags I can carry. It's got so many places to stick things that my problem now is that it becomes so darn heavy sometimes. :)

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
another vote for the large Midway bag. Got mine on sale last year. It has held up fine, despite fact that I regularly load it down with 4 guns and ammo for each - heavy. Main reason I like it is because unlike the smaller bag I used before, I just leave all the day to day stuff in it - tools, extra mags for three guns, ears and eyes, targets, sunscreen, snacks, etc. Close second reason I like it - when don't want all that stuff just pull out the inner stage bag and go, or take all but leave most in trunk of car at range.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
I went out and got a decent sized campers backpack in an understated ruby red/ maroon color with gray accents. I wanted "plain" and "nondescript".

it holds everything I would need. goes on my back comfortably leaving my hands free to carry other things and doesn't look like a range bag thats holding a sidearm or two and several hundred rounds of ammo and supplies.

I used it for the first time yesterday and am very happy with how it functioned. its a nice little walk from the parking lot to the building and then from the building to the actual range where the firing lines are. it was nice to not have my hands too full.

Amazon.com: Kelty Roam Daypack Backpack - Rosewood: Home & Garden

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
I bought the SA XDM "Tactical" bag. Has plenty of room, pockects galore and both my pistols fit. I can and have carried 10 13rd mgazines (loaded), and 300 more rounds in the bad and still had room for my XDM and probably two or three more guns. With shipping it was $49.00. Not cheap but the quality is very good.

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
I'm another one of those who got himself the Midway Competition Range Bag. I did this upon a couple of friends' recommendations, and I have no regrets.

I don't compete in any gun-games, but I do take my range time seriously, and I also take training classes.

For class, I often carry two or three full/medium-frame pistols in the bag, along with 800-1000 rounds of 9mm and loads of magazines (this is made easier as I also have two of their "Tactical Pistol Guncases," which fits inside the bag just like the zippered gun-rug inserts the bag comes with). The outer compartments hold my earmuffs (and a spare), along with cleaning/troubleshooting supplies for the pistols, and a little meds/essential space for me, too. You can well imagine how easy it is to carry only 200 to 300 rounds, plus some paper targets to the range, on my usual outings.

I'm not a bag-snob by any means, and I wouldn't frown on a guy using a Jansport backpack or a tool-bag from Lowes as a range-bag: whatever works. :) But I do think that the Midway bag is worth the money.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have the GunMate bag that Poink88 linked too. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better bang for your buck.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try LA Police gear. They have a bag usually on sale for 19.99. Good bag for two pistols. Bought one for my wife as well. I have pistol cleaning gear, magazines, electronic muffs, ammo glasses. Big range bags are nice, but big. This one sits on my bench. My buddy bought for him and his wife as well.

Lafe

1 - 20 of 38 Posts