Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I came across an deal on an Aimpoint comp2 and I'm going to snatch it up.

Question is how important is the mount? sorry that's kind of vague. But do I need to drop $140 on a Larue or would this T.M.S. be fine? I'm fine with spending the $ if I have to but if this

is basically the same thing then I can save $100.

So what is the story with T.M.S.? Junk or what?

·
Registered
127 Posts
The mount is just as important as the optic, and cheap ones will lose zero quickly and worse. I'm not familiar with that brand, but the $40 price tag makes me more than a bit suspicious.

My advice is to spend the $140 now. It will save you spending $40 on that and $140 on a real mount shortly thereafter...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Welcome! There are some things you can save on (slings for instance), but optic mounts are definitely worth the extra bucks for quality. Larue puts a lot of extra cool crap in with thier orders which will help with the pain of the extra $100 :D

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
the mount is important while I wouldn't nessisarily say that it will certainly lose zero cheaper mounts are cheap because they are made from cheap substandard grades of alluminum and will likely have the screw strip out, crack or even break under heavy recoil

Do you need to spend $140 no there are mounts out there cheaper than that especially if you don't mind buying used gear

You can find used aimpoint QPR mounts in excellent shape for around $50 on arfcom what you are looking at is a cantilever mount designed to push the AP forward to allow room for a magnifyer to be added behind it

LaRue, ADM, GG&G, use aircraft grade alluminum that will last pretty much so forever. I picked up an ADM mount for $115 from botach while they had their 10% off sale (normally &130) and it comes with a life time warranty "you break it they replace it period"

·
Registered
127 Posts
cheaper mounts are cheap because they are made from cheap substandard grades of alluminum and will likely have the screw strip out, crack or even break under heavy recoil
So wouldn't the mount falling off of the gun qualify as losing zero :D

Just messin with ya!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
So wouldn't the mount falling off of the gun qualify as losing zero :D

Just messin with ya!
No not if you put it back on in the same place

Losing zero mean that while still attached the optic shifts in the rings ore the mount shifts in on the rails and changes your point of impact. If it falls off the gun you didn't have it tightened down enough

Unfortunatly cheap mounts are not known fir being in spec and requiring over tighting which results in the threads getting strikped out (especially since they don't tend to use inserts and drill directly into the cheap sub par grade alluminum)

My first red dot was a hakko tacpoint that came with a cheapo mount and it worked perfect held zero and mounted up tight even after repeated removal an remounting and it only cost me $75 including the mount heck it even backed up my Two week old ML2 that quit working on the second range trip. I used it for almost 2 years and sold it for a $10 profit

Yhr fit and finish of the LaRue and ADM mounts are top notch and you can feel the difference between them and the cheapos

·
Registered
127 Posts
No not if you put it back on in the same place
How are you going to do that if the cheap mount breaks or the screws strip out? Not trying to be a jerk, but I think you are skating a fine line to defend an incorrect statement...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I'm tired of trying to decide so I just went with what was tried and true.

Just ordered an Aimpoint comp ML2 and a GG&G cantilever mount for $490 total. Seemed like pretty good deal to me, anyone else agree?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the mount is important while I wouldn't nessisarily say that it will certainly lose zero cheaper mounts are cheap because they are made from cheap substandard grades of alluminum and will likely have the screw strip out, crack or even break under heavy recoil

Do you need to spend $140 no there are mounts out there cheaper than that especially if you don't mind buying used gear

You can find used aimpoint QPR mounts in excellent shape for around $50 on arfcom what you are looking at is a cantilever mount designed to push the AP forward to allow room for a magnifyer to be added behind it

LaRue, ADM, GG&G, use aircraft grade alluminum that will last pretty much so forever. I picked up an ADM mount for $115 from botach while they had their 10% off sale (normally &130) and it comes with a life time warranty "you break it they replace it period"

Thanks for the info. I don't have an issue with used, but since I'm doing this online (I've checked my local places and a show, prices were better for me online) I have a hard time telling how "used" used is and would rather pay a little more for piece of mind and not having the hassle of shipping things back if that is even an option which in many cases it isn't.

What do you think of the GGG cant mount and Aim comp ML2 for $490 I did? good deal? fair? paid to much?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Thanks for the info. I don't have an issue with used, but since I'm doing this online (I've checked my local places and a show, prices were better for me online) I have a hard time telling how "used" used is and would rather pay a little more for piece of mind and not having the hassle of shipping things back if that is even an option which in many cases it isn't.

What do you think of the GGG cant mount and Aim comp ML2 for $490 I did? good deal? fair? paid to much?
don't blame you one bit GG&g make excellent mounts it sound like you bought one of their "best price" package deals which probably saved you about half if not more on the price of the mount I love their deals unfortunatly my wallet doesn't agree with me

Most people on arfcom are pretty good at describing their stuff pretty accuratly I've gotten a lot of stuff on their that was basically brand new or at least looked it at a real savings

My last arfcom purchase was a NIB ML3 for $350 overnighted via UPS with no PP markup. The guy bought it for an AK build he was working on then lost his job before it got completed total price including the ADM mount was $465

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^ yup you got it. It's a best deal package from GG&G. It's like $495 with shipping cost and 2 day "rush order." After this addition I'll be done for a while with it. I'll get a magnifier eventually and maybe change the stock but that's it.

Thanks for your help, all of you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts