Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm building an SBR right now in 9mm with a 10.5 inch barrel. (because I have silencer for that caliber already) I was wondering which would be more effective in a CQB situation (25 meters or less) a 556 round or a 9mm out of the pre described length barrel. I google searched it and found no definitive answer. So I came here. Just wanted some thoughts from you guys.

Thanks

O by the way I'm thinking a 147 grain 9mm would be best in the described distance.

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
Many SWAT teams have switched to 5.56 from 9mm, in carbine length firearms that might tell you something.

I'd personally go with 5.56, I just like the round better. Though, with a SBR, even with a silencer, you will get a heck of a bang. Googled it too, didn't find anything definitive, but looks like a lot of people prefer the 5.56 over the 9mm in the shorter barrels.

·
Registered
786 Posts
5.56 has much better stopping power also more flash, noise and over penetration.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
5.56 has much better stopping power also more flash, noise and over penetration.
I think you're wrong, but ... Got any proof to back this up (using modern defensive ammo) ?

·
Registered
349 Posts
The 9mm round has the advantage of being quieter and cheaper to shoot.
The 5.56 has WAY more stopping power but at the cost of being quite a bit louder.

If cost is no object and your looking for just, the best suppressed CQB round in an AR, I would suggest the 300 whisper.
300 Whisper ® | SSK Industries

Jeff

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Won't a even suppressed supersonic round like the 556 still "crack" loudly ?

If you want a quiet gun, then it would seem a sub-sonic 147gr 9mm would out perform the 556 when both are traveling at the same sub-sonic speeds. At full speed - the 9mm is left in the weeds by the much more powerful 556!

·
Registered
29,603 Posts
Right on flash.

Wrong on overpenetration. At in-house distances, most defensive-use .223/5.56 rounds will yaw and fragment upon hitting walls it'll still go through a few, though...just fewer than 9mm). 9mm will just keep blowing through walls.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sounds good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts