Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here used the Rainier 135gr. FN bullets in their .40? I've used their 155gr. and 165gr. bullets in my reloads but haven't tried the lighter bullet. Seems it should be good for plinking/practice because of less recoil.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
I tried a small box once. Exactly what I expected. Too light a bullet for my 5"XD. Short stroked the slide unless I loaded them at or near max. They worked fine in a 3" but too much muzzle blast from still burning powder.
They're definitely worth a shot if you've got different powders to try. Or even reduced power recoil springs to fine tune your load. If you try them and get a good combination, post it up!

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Unless you change springs, they aren't likely to run @ reduced vel like 180gr will. They can be quite accurate though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replies. I went ahead and ordered some for testing. I will post my results when I get some loaded up for the range.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone here used the Rainier 135gr. FN bullets in their .40? I've used their 155gr. and 165gr. bullets in my reloads but haven't tried the lighter bullet. Seems it should be good for plinking/practice because of less recoil.
My understanding is that the smaller grain bullets will have greater perceived recoil because they are leaving the gun at higher velocities. I haven't done any side-by-side comparisons, but it sounds logical to me. From what I hear, if you want low recoil, push a heavy bullet at the minimum reliable rate that operates your gun.

Clint

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
My understanding is that the smaller grain bullets will have greater perceived recoil because they are leaving the gun at higher velocities. I haven't done any side-by-side comparisons, but it sounds logical to me. From what I hear, if you want low recoil, push a heavy bullet at the minimum reliable rate that operates your gun.

Clint
No.

Using the same powder charge the heavy bullet will have more recoil then a lighter bullet.

don

·
Registered
12,197 Posts

Clint
Same thing is true for lighter bullets; run them @ lower vel & recoil is less than heavier bullets, BUT @ lower vel they may not function the slide. It's a balancing act. Most guns are setup for the heavier bullet wts. So to get them to run w/ lighter bullets, you have to push the lighter bullet faster. A 135gr/40 @ 900fps is going to be way softer shooting than a 180gr @ 800fps IF you can get it to run w/o a spring change.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I made up three loads and chronographed them.
952 fps loads had a few jams but felt like shooting my 9mm. (AA#5)
1022 fps loads worked real good. (AA#7)
1200 fps loads also worked good but might be close to hot. (Power Pistol)

The slower load shot over 3" at 18yds. and the two fast loads both shot under 2" with a pistol rest so the 135 grainers show potential. Overall I think the 135gr. bullets will work real good with the right load.

·
Registered
4 Posts
this thread is a little old but I'll offer some info to it. Bought some of these for use in Steel Plate matches, and surprisingly they are quite a soft shooting load.

Loaded mine with 5.4gr HP-38, Mixed Brass, Winchester Small Pistol Primers, and OAL set at 1.125.

Fires and functions really well in my 4" Service with stock springs. Have yet to chrono this load, but it is fairly slow.

On a side note the powder charge is great, same load I use in my 1911 45acp with a Penn Bullet 152gr SWC with a 14lb recoil and an oal of 1.250.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
this thread is a little old but I'll offer some info to it. Bought some of these for use in Steel Plate matches, and surprisingly they are quite a soft shooting load.

Loaded mine with 5.4gr HP-38, Mixed Brass, Winchester Small Pistol Primers, and OAL set at 1.125.

Fires and functions really well in my 4" Service with stock springs. Have yet to chrono this load, but it is fairly slow.

On a side note the powder charge is great, same load I use in my 1911 45acp with a Penn Bullet 152gr SWC with a 14lb recoil and an oal of 1.250.
What math formula did you use to compute the recoil? 14 lbs seems very low for a 45 load.

don

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
What math formula did you use to compute the recoil? 14 lbs seems very low for a 45 load.

don
Don, that is just the spring rate, not actual recoil figures. I think the std 1911 spring is 16# for a govt model. A 14# spring is just a bit lighter.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts