Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I am going to start reloading with these for my XD9 and was wondering what you guys use for a C.O.L. with the flat point bullets. I will be using Unique powder. I am used to round nose so i am not sure the difference in length.

Thanks for the help,

Shruggerxd

·
Registered
776 Posts
Maybe someone out there can measure a 124 gr Rainier RN for you. I use 115 gr Rainier RN so I can't help much.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
The OAL for a FP is diff. than the HP, diff. than the RN. I don't load for a XD9 but the XD45 has a shallow throat. This means you have to seat the FP a bit deeper so the shoulder of the bullet doesn't hit the rifling. I load them for my G17 & use 1.06". They work in several 9mms. Take the bbl. out & drop a loaded round in. Make sure it seats in the chamber completely. You'll also need to dial back your powder charge a bit to allow for the deeper seating.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Hey guys,
I am going to start reloading with these for my XD9 and was wondering what you guys use for a C.O.L. with the flat point bullets. I will be using Unique powder. I am used to round nose so i am not sure the difference in length.

Thanks for the help,

Shruggerxd
What COL does your manual give you? You do have one, right?
The Speer Reloading Manual #14 shows the 124 gr TMJ RN @ 1.135, the 124 gr USCP and the GDHP @ 1.120.
My Speer Manual #14 does show the same COL for FN and HP bullets.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Speer Reloading Manual #11 tells me that with 9mm handloads of 28,000 CUP, and if you seat the bullet only .030" deeper into the cartridge case, the pressures jump to 62,000 CUP!! Enough to wreck a good gun. The 9mm can be touchy to reload and careful attention to detail (such as over-all length) is very important.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
What COL does your manual give you? You do have one, right?
The Speer Reloading Manual #14 shows the 124 gr TMJ RN @ 1.135, the 124 gr USCP and the GDHP @ 1.120.
My Speer Manual #14 does show the same COL for FN and HP bullets.
This is the problem. Neither of those bullets are the same shape as a Ranier or Berry's 124grFP. They have longer bearing surfaces & a "sharp" shoulder that can be wedged into the rifling if seated out to anything close to 1.120". There is no published, manual for Ranier. So, as always, load to the longest length that will function in your pistol & mag. Then work your charge back up.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
342 Posts
I checked my load data I have them set at 1.082". Use at your own risk.

I do run relatively light powder charges with these. 3.8gr of N320.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts