Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an itch for a new 1911. I got some money to blow on a new gun and I want to do it right. I want a full size 1911 to wear on my hip while 4 wheeling, hunting, camping, hiking and to keep in my night stand. I THINK I want a railed gun so I can stick a TLR on it. Having the light on the gun would mean I dont need to carry a seperate light on my belt and it would be handier if Im out in the woods afer dark.

What are your oprinions/experiences on railed 1911's and the various brands. No matter what brand, I want front strap checkering to come already done. I can add a mag well and change grips, no biggie there. I want fixed sights too.

Im not new to 1911's as I own a SA and STI already. I'm going to TRY and stay around $1,500.00 or less for the initial purchase of the gun itself.

·
Premium Member
127,275 Posts
What are your opinions/experiences on railed 1911's and the various brands.

Of course, purists will claim there is no such thing! I don't have any personal experience, but I will subscribe to this thread because I am interested in the replies you will receive.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course, purists will claim there is no such thing! I don't have any personal experience, but I will subscribe to this thread because I am interested in the replies you will receive.
I know what you mean and I love the pure lines of a true 1911 but for this gun, im looking at pure function with the rail. Like I said, Im out after dark while hunting and 4 wheeling and I camp in a rural area.

I wonder about the external extractor on the Sig. Kimber seemed to have less than stellar results in their attempt there.

·
Premium Member
127,275 Posts
I wonder about the external extractor on the Sig. Kimber seemed to have less than stellar results in their attempt there.
Again not personal experience, but that of close friends...I would have to agree.

·
Registered
29,621 Posts
I just picked up an RIA 2011 today, and am quite impressed with it; it has everything you're looking for except the frontstrap checkering, and well under half of your budget. One could pick up a Pachmayr wraparound grip that may well suit the purpose.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I just picked up an RIA 2011 today, and am quite impressed with it; it has everything you're looking for except the frontstrap checkering, and well under half of your budget. One could pick up a Pachmayr wraparound grip that may well suit the purpose.

cuda-
how is that ria? i was looking at one myself-only on the interwebs though. is that rail an added piece or is all part of the frame? i could not tell from the pics i was looking at. thanks

OP-
i have heard more good than bad about the ria 1911s, never owned one though. but with the price you could pay for a tlr, front strap checkering and ammo to go with it.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
I've got three railed 1911 pistols.

1. TRP Operator with half rail.
2. Loaded Operator with full rail.
3. Sig GSR.

The Sig was the 125th GSR that Sig built. They are acknowledged to have had problems. Mine took a trip back to the mothership and has been flawless since.

I've also got three 1911 pistols with external extractors. The Sig and two S&W 1911 pistols. Neither of the S&W pistols has give me one bit of trouble.

If I were to buy another railed 1911 I'd go for the new S&W with the rail.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got three railed 1911 pistols.

1. TRP Operator with half rail.
2. Loaded Operator with full rail.
3. Sig GSR.

The Sig was the 125th GSR that Sig built. They are acknowledged to have had problems. Mine took a trip back to the mothership and has been flawless since.

I've also got three 1911 pistols with external extractors. The Sig and two S&W 1911 pistols. Neither of the S&W pistols has give me one bit of trouble.

If I were to buy another railed 1911 I'd go for the new S&W with the rail.
I was just looking at the S&W guns. Would you consider your S&W for a SHTF type of gun? I mean its possibly going to get muddy and dusty while riding. Do you think it would run in those conditions?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I would very much recommend the Springfield MC Operator. I have quite a bit of experience with that pistol, and eventually will have one in my possession. Very accurate, reliable as it gets and you get Springfield's customer service and warranty to boot. The Springfield is the only railed 1911 I have experience with, and I don't see how it really gets much better for the price they ask for them.

I'm not putting down any other suggestions, as I feel almost any would serve you well. Just offering another option. ;)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Go Springfield TRP Operator. Checkered FS, Tight fit, very accurate, mag well, springfield warranty.

Only think is that they are only available with an adjustable rear sight. John Harrison makes a fixed sight for it.

The MC operator (if you can find one) has fixed sights but you are going to pay 160 for checkering, then it has to be refinished, then you need to install a magwell. so for the difference in price between the MC Operator and the TRP operator youre better off going with the TRP. You wont be disappointed

·
Registered
29,621 Posts
cuda-
how is that ria? i was looking at one myself-only on the interwebs though. is that rail an added piece or is all part of the frame? i could not tell from the pics i was looking at. thanks

OP-
i have heard more good than bad about the ria 1911s, never owned one though. but with the price you could pay for a tlr, front strap checkering and ammo to go with it.
I am very impressed with it. I did a bit more of a writeup on it here: http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/m1911/177527-2011.html

It's all part of the frame--that's a full-length railed dustcover. The added weight makes it really controllable; I'm interested to see how it handles with a Surefire attached.

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I have a Taurus PT1911 AR. I got this through a trade. It will eventually become my nightstand gun. I like the ability to attach a light which was the main reason I picked it up. Shoots great. The downside is that it's a small issue finding a holster for it. This one specifically have a different picatinny rail profile that make it incompatible with the common holster gear. Good thing it came with a modified Serpa as part of the trade.

It looks good with the light as you can see.....

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Go Springfield TRP Operator. Checkered FS, Tight fit, very accurate, mag well, springfield warranty.

Only think is that they are only available with an adjustable rear sight. John Harrison makes a fixed sight for it.

The MC operator (if you can find one) has fixed sights but you are going to pay 160 for checkering, then it has to be refinished, then you need to install a magwell. so for the difference in price between the MC Operator and the TRP operator youre better off going with the TRP. You wont be disappointed
If you want or need those things. I personally don't want or need either, and I also don't want a bull barrel. ;)

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Pretty.

I have a tac rail on my Beretta PX4 and love it.
I wouldn't mind one of those on a 1911.
Wish wish. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
120 Posts
colt makes there rail gun its about 1100 at the local gunshop

·
Registered
244 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts