Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. What are some things you have placed on your rail slots that you really like having. I was thinking of a laser, or a flashlight of some type. I already have a fore grip but i might get a better one!

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
My general philosophy is to keep my accessories to a minimum, especially in a rifle i may use for defensive purposes. I think a light is pretty much mandatory, since chances are if you need a gun for defense, it'll probably be in low light conditions. I also consider a sling and good BUIS (if you run an optic) to be mandatory. Beyond that I might put a VFG on, maybe not, or a bipod if it's a longer barreled SPR-type gun. If an accessory doesn't directly enhance my capabilities or solve a problem, I don't put it on my gun.

I think sometimes people just go way overboard in putting tons of accessories on ARs or other carbines. I say keep it simple and only put on accessories that directly solve a problem that exists or realistically could exist for you, especially for defensive use. Besides the fact that every accessory you mount will add weight (you'd be surprised how easy it is to turn a 7 lb AR into a 10 lb one!), always remember that the more complex we make something, the more likely it's going to fail.

Just my thoughts, hope it helps!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I added an LH003 tactical red laser from AIM sports. It fit well and was easy to adjust and zero in.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Yeah, you can go overboard!:cry:

·
Registered
942 Posts
Light, forgrip, sling, EOTech, back up sights.
Done

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I have the sling taken care of and the EO tech. I NEED backup sights thats next on my list and i was thinking of a flashlight. Have any of you guys used the fore grips with the built in flashlights, or do you prefer just the flashlight

·
Registered
780 Posts
Yeah I have the sling taken care of and the EO tech. I NEED backup sights thats next on my list and i was thinking of a flashlight. Have any of you guys used the fore grips with the built in flashlights, or do you prefer just the flashlight
The ones with built in flashlights look cheesy to me.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
It all depends on what I'm doing at the time.

On my Mossberg 500, I have 2 front grips on the rail for when I'm shooting it shouldered and another on the side if I'm shooting from the hip. I also have a light. Since shotguns usually spread out the pattern, using the light beam as a reference point works well in the dark.

On my 6.8 M4 AR I have a bipod mount and a sling mount. Since I just use it for hunting, I don't have any front grips, although I do have another light on there for when I'm going into or coming out of the woods in the dark.

On my 5.56 M4 AR, I have a front grip and light

My AK has rails, nothing mounted except rail covers. Considering a Magpul AFG for it. Totally undecided at this point. I'm pretty happy with it the way it is.

My SBR AR has a light and a grip

My suppressed 22LR (SBR AR) upper has a front grip on the rail

My M10A1 SMG just has a front grip

My MP5K pdw just has a front grip. Used to have a laser and front grip, but I ended up liking the original furniture better.

·
Registered
942 Posts
TLR1 on the side with magpul AFG

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I like (angled,subjective decision) foregrip, light (Fenix),BUIS,scope and since I target shoot with the same rifles I usually set them up with a magnifier if its a EOTech or Aimpoint, I prefer it comes with an ARMs or Larue quick release setup. A sling is mandatory in my opinion when you want to have both hands free.

No lasers. Only one with a laser is one of my 10/22s for plinking fun at the range.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
TLR1 on the side with magpul AFG
+1 on the AFG. It puts the support hand in a more natural, comfortable position than either a VFG or off-hand on the handguards.

Also, if you plan to use it a a defensive weapon then a light is almost necessary unless you want to turn the lights on in your house during an incident to properly ID the target. The target also sees you in a lit room but with a flashlight pointed in an intruders direction in a dark home you get a split second of advantage where he is disoriented giving you the upper hand. Beyond that I would only say that it is personal preference whether you want a laser (which I prefer) and what type of sling and where you want to mount it.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Depends on the mission. At night with NVGs I'm going to put on my PEQ-2 in addition to my EO Tech.
In case some of you aren't familiar with a PEQ-2
AN/PEQ-2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In a city I may not put on the EO Tech 3x magnifier, in the mountains or rural areas I would.

I always have my short VFG, primary optic, and sling (with an extra battery). Depending on how mobile I am doing to be I may or may not slap on the Harris Bi-pod because that does put a lot of weight toward the end of the barrel.

·
Registered
181 Posts
For those who are using Fenix lights... Which ones do you have? I have be trying to decide between the TK series and the PD30. Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts