Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have recently purchased the xd 9mm 4 inch barrel in od green. Great gun. One quick question is in the proper way to rack the slide. I normally just use my hand on the top to rack, however this manual shows different. Also, can anyone rack the slide one handed? Will it be easier to due the pinch method, or rack it one handed, i, e. with a belt buckle when my xd gets more range time?

Thanks,

Erik

·
Premium Member
127,099 Posts
Rack with your hand over the slide. Don't get used to doing the thumb/finger pinch. It basically comes down to the difference between gross and fine motor skills when in a stressful situation. Gross is better and more reliable.

·
Premium Member
127,099 Posts
By the way, welcome to the forum, Erik.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you,

I will keep to racking the slide with my hand over the top. However in a situation where I may lets say become disabled in one arm? Is it possible to rack the xd slide one handed? I find it quite tough and nearly impossible to even do the pinch method on this gun, let alone try with my heel, or buckle, does it just need some breaking in time?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I rack it my hand over top, but I place the hand towards that back, as not to cover the ejection port. I read that you can cause a jam if the round gets caught and jammed back in by your hand.

·
Registered
346 Posts
As long as your hand isn't in front of the barrel and your finger isn't on the trigger, and it will rack, you're okay in my book.

That being said, you can rack it by catching the rear right on the edge of a desk, boot, and I've seen some people that can do it via their belt, if you were to end up with one hand/arm disabled in a fight.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Obviously youve got one of your questions answered. As far as racking the slide one handed, the best way that Ive tried requires you to wear a pair of boots, so take it with a grain of salt. Press the top of the slide under your heel, and "catch" the rear sight with your heel. Make sure you've got enough pressure to hold it in place and rack it hard. Works best using your opposite foot (eg. if youve got your pistol in your right hand, use your left foot).

I learned that in the military, so it is kinda geared toward someone wearing a pair of combat boots. Not really practical in everday life, but it is a reliable and fairly easy way to rack a pistol slide one-handed.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Racking the gun one handed is really quite simple once it is broken in. Just to see if I could do it, I tried it on the back corner of my jeans pocket the other day and it worked just fine. I would imagine that in a real life one arm situation you could rack it on anything stable with an edge to it. Like a table/counter top, bumper, belt buckle, boot heel, even a curb, sidewalk or pavement. In a life or death situation I do not think that I would be worried about scatching my slide or sights. Just my $0.02.
P.S. I have a XD40 service (4" bbl)

·
Registered
913 Posts
You'll be able to rack it one handed but its probably difficult right now as the gun isn't broken in yet. Put about 500 - 1000 rounds through it and it should be much easier. As others have said catching the rear sights on something sturdy, no matter what it is, will allow you to rack the slide one handed. Hopefully you never need to do this but at least you know should the need arise.

Welcome to the forum,

Chris

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Once the gun breaks in more it becomes easier to rack. I have a 22# spring in mine and I can still rack it 1 handed by catching the rear sights on my belt. Of course, I have the squared-off Trij Night sights, so that geometry is easier than some other designs...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts