Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was shooting at 75 feet the other day and pretty much all of my shots were coming out about 6 inches above where i was shooting, so my question is:

with the way these guns are sighted, the farther away you shoot, do you end up shooting higher or lower>?

·
Registered
179 Posts
That kind of depends on how the gun is sighted in. Normal trajectory is an arc, starting out below the line of sight then reaching a peak and descending back down.

This example is for a .223 Remington rifle, because most ballistic tables for handgun ammunition don't have a large spread of range data.

50__ 100___ 200____ 300____ 400____ 500_ Range

-0.2__ 0.0__ -3.2__ -12.7___ -31.2__ -62.3__ distance above or below sight line

Handguns are complicated by recoil, which lifts the muzzle while the bullet is moving down the barrel. (Rifles too, just not so much.)

There are online ballistic calculators that can help you see where the bullet is at in relation to the sight line at various ranges.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Higher....

Of course, if you really want to do some long range shooting, you need one of these

The AR-10 Ultra is only accurate to about a mile or so.. after that you have to really be a good shot!

The DPMS long range rifle looks like a guy could make a pretty nice group at about a mile...

For your XD, practice. I can't shoot for **** at 25 yards.. but that is because I am a lousy shot.. At seven yards though, I am deadly accurate.

Raymond

·
Registered
32 Posts
were you shooting with an XD? In my XD 40 manual it suggests using the 6 o'clock point of aim at 25 yards. which means the shots are going to get high.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cloud8a said:
were you shooting with an XD? In my XD 40 manual it suggests using the 6 o'clock point of aim at 25 yards. which means the shots are going to get high.
yes i was, but if it wer POA at 25 yrds then they would have been even higher, since i was sighting at 6 oclock.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Ray, is that the 308cal with the 18" or 24" barrel? I went to their site and looked at all of them...real nice, to say the least. I like those shiny barrels the best, even tho with over 1K rounds of 7.62x39 at home, the one that shoots that round would fit in just right also.

Do you actually have either of the ones pictured in your post or are you just dreaming?

Also, what's the price on the AR; I couldn't find it on their site? I saw the prices on the DP. Out here in Kalifornia, I wouldn't be able to get the 20round mags.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
No.. it doesn't shoot the 308 as far as I know.. it shoot the 300RSUM... and no, I don't own it.. it is a dream gun. Maybe someday... but not today.

I love the armalite AR's... That one would be pretty cool.. but I can't afford it, and that kind of range is probably not something I have any real need for... I just thought it was interesting because they are talking about replacing the M24 with automatic rifles.. I think Rock River makes just as good a weopon.

Say Uncle has a nice write up about it.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
dsg2003gt said:
i was shooting at 75 feet the other day and pretty much all of my shots were coming out about 6 inches above where i was shooting, so my question is:

with the way these guns are sighted, the farther away you shoot, do you end up shooting higher or lower>?
At long distances shots can be higher or lower depending on the shooter. Sight picture and grip all play into the factor. Personally my shots would go lower at long distances and if I adjusted my sight picture (hold over), who knows where the rounds would land? Not sure why you need to shoot such long distances with a service pistol? I say after a certain distance its all basically fun and games. :wink:

There are specialty pistols for long range shooting, but the right tool for the job is more than likely a rifle.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The AR 10 is available in 7.62x51 (308 winchester) it is a very nice rifle.
I am a DPMS certified armourer and have shot the AR 10, I would like to have one, but can't justify the cash outlay. I already have a Styer SSG p2 in 308 with a Lepold MK 4 M 3 scope. which is great.

the original poster did say 75 ft. thats only 25 yds. not exactly long range.
it is well with pistol range. if the bullet goes up or down at 75 ft. depends on what range the pistol sights have been adjusted to hit center of the target.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hobocircus said:
dsg2003gt said:

At long distances shots can be higher or lower depending on the shooter. Sight picture and grip all play into the factor. Personally my shots would go lower at long distances and if I adjusted my sight picture (hold over), who knows where the rounds would land? Not sure why you need to shoot such long distances with a service pistol? I say after a certain distance its all basically fun and games. :wink:

There are specialty pistols for long range shooting, but the right tool for the job is more than likely a rifle.
i was just doing it for the hell of it, to see how well i could hit a target at 75 feet or so. i was just wondering if it was me or the gun, but it is probably me. :?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Your XD is fully capable of shooting accurately out to 50 yards and beyond, but you have to do your part. To properly find out where your sights are regulated, you'll have to shoot your pistol from a steady rest, such as sand bags or some other support. Shoot each shot using the same grip, trigger squeeze and sight picture (aiming point) and when you get a good group on an area of the target, you'll know where the sights are set for you.

Those of us who used to regularly shoot pistol competitions out to 50 yards get a kick out of all the current "shooters" who say a pistol is only good for 7 to 10 yard shooting. I used to have a target with 10 rounds of .38 Special wadcutters in a 1 7/8" group, fired from a Ransom Rest at 50 yards from my stock S&W K-38. I wish I still had it, but I lost it in a divorce, along with everything else I owned at the time..........

Hope this helps.

Fred

·
Registered
223 Posts
dsg2003gt said:

Standard iron sights on the XD are set for a six-o'clock fire - meaning that the target picture should rest just on top of the lined-up sights. If you're putting the center dot *in* the target, your shot will go high.

T

1 - 12 of 12 Posts