• Beretta Cheetah

• Kahr CM9

• Ruger LC9

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm trading in my fairly new XDsc 9mm for something else. Without going too far into it, I'm not comfortable carrying it, would rather have a double actions and a little smaller. I'm down to these three: Beretta 85fs Cheetah, Kahr CM9, Ruger LC9. I realize the Beretta is a .380 vs the other 2 9mm, but I can't get over how much I like that pistol. It just feels right in about every way.

None of the local shops have any of them to shoot, but they're on the shelves.

Realistic uses would be primaryly plinking, then home defense, and conceal carry for myself or my wife.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I voted for the Kahr because I think they make very well engineered and well built weapons for concealment. That said, if the Beretta feels right, then it very well may be right. If it feels better and you shoot it better, by all means go that route.

Given your usage priorities, I would suggest something a little larger on the grounds that a bigger gun means less felt recoil, and that (debatably) a larger gun means larger tolerances, and as such, potential for better reliability, but since you're trading an XD-SC, I'm guessing you've been down that road. Whatever you choose, I hope it works out for you. :)

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
The XD9SC is a great gun, but if you're not comfortable with it...

Carry what you shoot best.

The "best" gun is the one YOU like, not anyone else. It will be a compromise of:

1. Fit - It should fit in your hand like you were born with it there.
2. Reliability - It should go BANG about 99.8% of the time you pull the trigger.
3. Accuracy - In YOUR hand. It's how well YOU shoot it.
4. Concealability - It should be comfortable enough to wear and easy enough to conceal so you won't leave it laying on the dresser at home.
5. Cost - You don't want to scrimp on your "life protector" weapon, but you probably don't need a $1,000 Kimber, either.
6. Enjoyment - The caliber and gun should be fun to shoot. If it isn't, you won't practice with it like you should.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Yeah, the XD9sc is a bit thick for some folks. I've put some rounds down range with the Bersa and did not like it. Plus it had FTF's every 3rd or 4th round. My recommendation is to shoot all of them before making a decision. I keep my XD9sc for one main reason, after 5000 rounds, it still hasn't had a single failure. I trust my life to it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The XD9SC is a great gun, but if you're not comfortable with it...

Carry what you shoot best.

The "best" gun is the one YOU like, not anyone else. It will be a compromise of:

2. Reliability - It should go BANG about 99.8% of the time you pull the trigger.
This is ridiculous. So what this is saying that from every 500 rounds it's ok to get a FTF due to the weapon???

You can trust your life to this poor reliability, but I won't. There are Xdm and Glocks that will shoot 100,000 rounds or more without a malfunction.

If your giving advice to a newbie at least get the info correct.

To Op, try them yourself, don't get the info from armchair gunnery sgt's!

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
I voted for the Kahr. It's rare that a gun exceeds my expectations, but the CM9 did. For pocket guns I have a Taurus 85UL and a TCP. I was expecting the recoil to be snappy like the other two, but it wasn't. IMHO, the CM9 can easy pull duty as a range gun.

If you get the Kahr, I'd get the seven round mags with the extension for the range. The gun is still very manageable with the short 6 round mag which, as mentioned, was very surprising to me. You really can't go wrong with it.

The other reason I chose the Kahr is because I prefer 9mm over .380 given the choice. I loaded mine with Speer Short Barrel Gold Dots in 124 +P. For a .380, IMHO, to get adequate penetration, you'd have to go with FMJ or Buffalo Bore.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Im a little more frugal with my coin, so I voted for the Ruger.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Did you see the news yesterday about the new Beretta Nano? Not sure what the dimensions are yet but its a 9mm

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im a little more frugal with my coin, so I voted for the Ruger.
The LC9 and CM9 are pretty close in price, about a $40 difference locally. Now the Beretta is significantly higher, but I wonder if it's more pleasant to shoot.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you see the news yesterday about the new Beretta Nano? Not sure what the dimensions are yet but its a 9mm

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
It's intriguing, but I wouldn't put it on my list since it's a) still new b) not available in stores yet and I'll be making a purchase most likely today or in the next week.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Out of the 3, I'd say the Kahr.
Looks like your wanting a compact single stack with a DAO type trigger.

I'm very partial to my 9mm Springfield EMP.;)
Perfect size, but it has a single action trigger.

I'd also recommend a Sig P239 with a DAK trigger.
If you were in the DFW Texas area I'd let you shoot mine.
I sold my XD9sc that I carried, after buying the Sig P239 that I carried before buying the EMP.

But as stated, it doesn't really matter what we think, it is what feels best for you and your needs.
Also, if possible and your laws allow, I recommend selling your XD9sc instead of trading it in.

·
Registered
223 Posts
look at kel=tec pf9

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Update:
Funny enough, though it got the lowest votes, I went with the Beretta. I got a chance to try out the Kahr and I honestly wasn't very impressed with it. I liked the metal frame of Beretta much better. The LC9 was very close but the trigger ended up taking it off the list for me.

I bit on the Beretta. The local store gave me a good deal on trading in my XD, maybe not as much as selling privately but I ended up paying a difference of $300 (background check and taxes all included). I took it shooting yesterday and put about 60 rounds through it and absolutely love it! It was a little gritty to start off but smoothed out real quick. Was doing the fairly decent groups at about 20 feet. My wife wasn't a huge fan of it at first but she got used to it. I'm still going to hunt down something for her specifically.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

Here's a photo I took off it before taking it to the range.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Whatever works for you is what you should buy.:cool:

I feel you did that..;)

Looks good, I hope it all works out..;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts