Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick comparison on the S&W M&P 9mm and the XDs 3.3 9mm -
I shot my new XDs yesterday, only about 10 rounds. I used the 7 round magazine only. No failure to load/fire, but everything is of course a bit stiff, especially the magazine release. I did not have both guns with me yesterday, so cannot do a direct comparison.
Loading and inserting the 7 round magazine was slick as silk. On the Shield, inserting the 7 rounds magazine requires more effort (not sure why, but others report the same thing). The trigger on the XDs is heavier and perhaps longer than the Shields.
I practice with two carry guns mainly at 7 yards. The sights on the XDs are set perfectly for me, both windage and elevation. When using the same sight picture (center of bullseye) the Shield's sights cause me to shoot about 3 inches low, although windage is fine. I use Speer Lawman 115 gr TMJ or CCI Blazer Brass 115 gr FMJ for practice in both pistols. FWIW, I use Speer Gold Dot 124 gr non-Plus P for carry.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why only 10 rounds?
Spend the majority of the morning teaching my grandson to shoot a revolver and 22 pistol. Only had a few minutes to shoot the new Springfield. Next trip to the range (solo) I will run another 50 or so "practice" rounds through it, then try my EDC rounds. Assuming no issues, I'll start carrying the Springfield. Until then, it's the Shield for carry only.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
LMAO he loaded (a) mag ..dumped it ..added 3 more rounds for good luck and now he's reviewing the effort it takes to insert a magazine?

What a review.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have seen people posting their options based on less...
We are a contry of opinionated self-confidence. Knowledge has always been optional.

Alex from Texas where everyone drives better than average.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have seen people posting their options based on less...
We are a contry of opinionated self-confidence. Knowledge has always been optional.

Alex from Texas where everyone drives better than average.

Glad I was able to provide some amusement for those of you above. Apparently some of you folks are not tolerant of someone's opinion, or someone like me who thought I'd share something from my experience. Makes no difference to me, but I am surprised to read such childish posts here. I did attempt to provide some quantitative information. If you choose to ignore it, great. I never intended to say one pistol is better than the other, heck I own both. I am anxious to hear from others who own both and can expand on what I said.

·
Registered
319 Posts
A lot of posters on these forums are aggressive for no reason. I agree that a few rounds isn't really enough for a full review, but there's nothing wrong with making a "first impressions" post IMO.

Especially since everything you've said is known the be true. The XD-S has a bit stiffer trigger and the Shield can be fussy with mags. Consider yourself lucky that you can try both at your leisure (I never had the chance to try the Shield and just went straight for the XD-S). :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Glad I was able to provide some amusement for those of you above. Apparently some of you folks are not tolerant of someone's opinion, or someone like me who thought I'd share something from my experience. Makes no difference to me, but I am surprised to read such childish posts here. I did attempt to provide some quantitative information. If you choose to ignore it, great. I never intended to say one pistol is better than the other, heck I own both. I am anxious to hear from others who own both and can expand on what I said.
I owned the Shield for over a year, after shooting roughly 1200 rounds through it and finally sold it last month and replaced it with the XDs. Here's what I found to be the difference between the two;

(1) I experienced a few FTE's with the Shield shooting WWB value pack and possibly not having the tightest grip. My wife and sister both shot it with S&B 115 gr and it jammed on them (they were limp wristing it). After 1200 rounds I only experienced about 7 FTE's. Small percentage, for sure, but my G19 with 2,000 rounds has never jammed and shoots all kinds of ammo. My XDs has a about 500 rounds through it, with WWB value pack and other ammo.... no jams so far. The reason I believe.. is stated in #2 below.

(2) The XDs has a professionally polished feed ramp and much higher quality magazines. I believe this leads to it's reliability. I rarely see anyone mention this but, IMO it's a very big deal.

(3) The Shield will fail out of battery. If you pull the slide back a bit on a loaded magazine and let go.. it will not go back into battery. It's a known design problem and there are hundreds of thread on it on the S&W forum. Some have even gone to the extreme of taking a dremmel to the internals to try and fix it. Technically this shouldn't be an issue, but in the event you are re-holstering or grappling with a bad guy and it goes out of battery without you knowing it... could be trouble. My XDs or Glock 19 do not do this.

(4) I believe the XDs has less muzzle flip and a better trigger. I also like the aggressive grip as it's easier to find purchase on the firearm when presenting from IWB.

IMHO, the XDs is a much better firearm than the Shield.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I asked a legitimate question based on the original post, it wasn't intolerant, aggressive or insulting, no need for folks to get all fluffy about it.

Makes sense your time was limited due to teaching your grandson. That's very commendable. I wish my parents or grandparents took me shooting when I was young.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First post, glad to find the site. Got a 3" XD 9mm for my wife, she uses a Glock 17 but the size was an issue for carry. Looked at other models (Glock 15, 26, etc), friend had a 4" XD we fired and both liked it. In comparing, the magazine capacity and price were attractive.

In short, XD arrived, we went to range and shot 60+ rounds. Accuracy was very good, less muzzle flip, no FTF's.

She is very happy, and we ordered a 2nd one for carry for myself. Will keep one of our Glocks but other we plan to sell to a friend. Honestly, IMO the XD is an excellent choice.

Thanks CB2

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A lot of posters on these forums are aggressive for no reason. I agree that a few rounds isn't really enough for a full review, but there's nothing wrong with making a "first impressions" post IMO.

Especially since everything you've said is known the be true. The XD-S has a bit stiffer trigger and the Shield can be fussy with mags. Consider yourself lucky that you can try both at your leisure (I never had the chance to try the Shield and just went straight for the XD-S). :)
I went straight for the Shield, mainly based on price; not much of a reason, eh?8)

On the next trip to the range I plan to take both the S&W and Springfield for a more thorough test. I want to determine which I will carry more so I can get additional magazines, etc. It's nice to have options.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I owned the Shield for over a year, after shooting roughly 1200 rounds through it and finally sold it last month and replaced it with the XDs. Here's what I found to be the difference between the two;

(1) I experienced a few FTE's with the Shield shooting WWB value pack and possibly not having the tightest grip. My wife and sister both shot it with S&B 115 gr and it jammed on them (they were limp wristing it). After 1200 rounds I only experienced about 7 FTE's. Small percentage, for sure, but my G19 with 2,000 rounds has never jammed and shoots all kinds of ammo. My XDs has a about 500 rounds through it, with WWB value pack and other ammo.... no jams so far. The reason I believe.. is stated in #2 below.

(2) The XDs has a professionally polished feed ramp and much higher quality magazines. I believe this leads to it's reliability. I rarely see anyone mention this but, IMO it's a very big deal.

(3) The Shield will fail out of battery. If you pull the slide back a bit on a loaded magazine and let go.. it will not go back into battery. It's a known design problem and there are hundreds of thread on it on the S&W forum. Some have even gone to the extreme of taking a dremmel to the internals to try and fix it. Technically this shouldn't be an issue, but in the event you are re-holstering or grappling with a bad guy and it goes out of battery without you knowing it... could be trouble. My XDs or Glock 19 do not do this.

(4) I believe the XDs has less muzzle flip and a better trigger. I also like the aggressive grip as it's easier to find purchase on the firearm when presenting from IWB.

IMHO, the XDs is a much better firearm than the Shield.
Good info. Thanks for sharing.

I have been considering the Shield since they released the new one without the thumb safety. Seems like quite a few guy here have them and everyone seems to speak pretty highly of them. I have heard in the past that that M&P's have mediocre triggers though. I'll have handle one next time I'm at a LGS that has them.

I have dry fired a post recall XD-S a few times at one of my local shops. I'll start buy saying I have got ridden of both of my XD-M's and replaced them with Glocks because I didn't care for the triggers. I was expecting the same mushy/spongy (just my opinion) feeling out of the XD-S that my XD-M's had but to my surprise it was actually pretty good. It felt pretty heavy but I don't mind heavy as long as it breaks clean.

I really want to add a 9mm single stack to the stable but I am holding out to see what Glock comes out with this year. It's definitely going to be Shield vs. XD-S vs. G43 (fingers crossed). Time will tell!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good info. Thanks for sharing.

I have been considering the Shield since they released the new one without the thumb safety. Seems like quite a few guy here have them and everyone seems to speak pretty highly of them. I have heard in the past that that M&P's have mediocre triggers though. I'll have handle one next time I'm at a LGS that has them.

I have dry fired a post recall XD-S a few times at one of my local shops. I'll start buy saying I have got ridden of both of my XD-M's and replaced them with Glocks because I didn't care for the triggers. I was expecting the same mushy/spongy (just my opinion) feeling out of the XD-S that my XD-M's had but to my surprise it was actually pretty good. It felt pretty heavy but I don't mind heavy as long as it breaks clean.

I really want to add a 9mm single stack to the stable but I am holding out to see what Glock comes out with this year. It's definitely going to be Shield vs. XD-S vs. G43 (fingers crossed). Time will tell!
Trigger feel is pretty subjective. I liked the Shield's trigger the first time I tried it. I have heard from other forums that the Shield's trigger is "different" and "better" than that on the other M&P pistols. I've not tried the others so I do not know. Subjectively I like my Shield's trigger a bit better than the XD-S 3.3 9mm, but then I've not had many rounds through either pistol yet. I expect both of their triggers will get smoother and "lighter" with use, but of course the long trigger pull will remain. I do think the XD-S appears to be more polished and finished looking than the Smith, but that's not to say the Shield is inferior; you ought to see my Kel_Tec P11! Looks awful but I've not had any FTE or FTF or anything along those lines with it. When I got the XD-s I'd looked at a lot of small, single stack 9mm and even some 380 acp pistols. The Glock 43 might be interesting. I looked (on the internet) at the G42 (380 acp) but decided it was too thick for my use. The 9mm will probably be around 0.2 inch thicker than the XD-S or Shield is my guess. At least the Glock 26 was that wide. Sure like the (reported) lighter trigger on the Glocks! I don't have one but many of my friends do and won't consider another brand.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
I own and cc an XDS 45 and a shield 9mm...Like em' both...no issues ever...Don't mind the trigger on both...for me,they're carry guns...as long as they go bang when they're supposed to, I'm good...won't part with either...

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Trigger feel is pretty subjective. I liked the Shield's trigger the first time I tried it. I have heard from other forums that the Shield's trigger is "different" and "better" than that on the other M&P pistols. I've not tried the others so I do not know. Subjectively I like my Shield's trigger a bit better than the XD-S 3.3 9mm, but then I've not had many rounds through either pistol yet. I expect both of their triggers will get smoother and "lighter" with use, but of course the long trigger pull will remain. I do think the XD-S appears to be more polished and finished looking than the Smith, but that's not to say the Shield is inferior; you ought to see my Kel_Tec P11! Looks awful but I've not had any FTE or FTF or anything along those lines with it. When I got the XD-s I'd looked at a lot of small, single stack 9mm and even some 380 acp pistols. The Glock 43 might be interesting. I looked (on the internet) at the G42 (380 acp) but decided it was too thick for my use. The 9mm will probably be around 0.2 inch thicker than the XD-S or Shield is my guess. At least the Glock 26 was that wide. Sure like the (reported) lighter trigger on the Glocks! I don't have one but many of my friends do and won't consider another brand.
Agreed, trigger feel is completely subjective.

As far as thicknesses go, all three guns are very close.

Shield: 0.95"
XD-S: 0.9"
G42: 0.94

Springfield seems to round out their dimensions as they don't show you hundredths.

I looked (on the internet) at the G42 (380 acp) but decided it was too thick for my use. The 9mm will probably be around 0.2 inch thicker than the XD-S or Shield is my guess
Are you saying the 9mm version will be thicker than the G42?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts