Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to my FFL guy and he was telling me about a bullet that acts like a hollow pont but is New Jersey legal? Don't remember wht they were called. Can anyone shed some light thanks

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
You need to move from NJ to the USA.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Expanding full metal jackets.

Corbon powerball, and federal efmj. There might be others.

·
Registered
29,596 Posts
Expanding full metal jackets.

Corbon powerball, and federal efmj. There might be others.
Add in Federal "Guard Dog" (which is just repackaged EFMJ) and--possibly--Hornady Critical Defense.

Of those, I'd get the true Federal EFMJ in the heaviest wieght possible for the caliber.

What caliber arre you looking at?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You need to move from NJ to the USA.

Amen to that brother

Believe it or not I am originally from Pennsylvania. Yea, yea I know WTF did I do believe me it was for my kids and my job. I lived in Philly and wanted out and New Jerkistan or The Peoples Republic of New Jersey is where my job is so. Yea I screwed up and CCW wasn't an issue for me at the time but, now more and more I regret the move. Counting down the days to freedom. Want to go back to PA but, not the city.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Add in Federal "Guard Dog" (which is just repackaged EFMJ) and--possibly--Hornady Critical Defense.

Of those, I'd get the true Federal EFMJ in the heaviest wieght possible for the caliber.

What caliber arre you looking at?
Critical Defense is the winner. I was told it does what a hollow point does but legal in New Jerkistan. I cannot carry here but have the CCW's to carry in PA where I spend a lot of time but, my problem is that before I get to PA I have to follow NJ rules which is no hollow points but, my FFL who is a retired NJ State Trooper told me about these Critical Defense loads. Right now I carry a Glock 19 but, am considering a .40 as I just bought a SIG P250. Want to put some range time in and walk around with it at the range to see about comfort. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
frangible ammo breaks up too...

also, from what I read it isn't illegal to possess HP ammo there but just to have it loaded in a weapon? allowed at ranges only?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
///MCoupé;2959946 said:
frangible ammo breaks up too...

also, from what I read it isn't illegal to possess HP ammo there but just to have it loaded in a weapon? allowed at ranges only?

Yes I have heard that as well but, trying to get a straight answer from anyone is impossible. Hollow points are legal until you do something illegal for example: if you are going to the range and your guns are legal than hollow points are good to go but, if you go to the range and have let's say a 19 round magazine for your Glock 19 than they become illegal because any magazine over 15 rounds is illegal making the hollow points illegal. Confused yet well so are we as NJ residents and the police are as well and believe me they'll admit it. Maybe not in a public forum but they have in private. I think that is the way they want it confusion so, they can massage the laws as needed. So for now I will not have them at all in my possession because it isn't worth the hassle. I am sure after months of hassle and lawyers and lots of money you would be found innocent as long as everything is in order but, as I said it simply isn't friggin worth it.

·
Registered
29,596 Posts
Critical Defense is the winner. I was told it does what a hollow point does but legal in New Jerkistan. I cannot carry here but have the CCW's to carry in PA where I spend a lot of time but, my problem is that before I get to PA I have to follow NJ rules which is no hollow points but, my FFL who is a retired NJ State Trooper told me about these Critical Defense loads. Right now I carry a Glock 19 but, am considering a .40 as I just bought a SIG P250. Want to put some range time in and walk around with it at the range to see about comfort. Thanks for the info
It is not a winner, not by a long shot.

The light for caliber loads tend to underpenetrate, and if you need to go through any kind of heavy barrier (like, say, a leather or denim jacket) it tends to fail, and fail miserably (which it was designed to do). there's a reason why they aren't LE kosher loads.

The 124+P EFMJ's in 9mm would be your best bet. Even if they fail to expand, their flat nose will cut a wide channel.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I was watching one of the cops shows a few months back - I think it was Campus PD(?) and a young black guy got pulled over and the cops questioned him about his gun. He said he had a permit to carry (not on him - at home) and that he bought the ammo at Walmart. The cops were telling him that his hollow points were illegal and I thought they were crazy/ignorant. I thought it was in MD but could've been NJ, either way now it's starting to make sense.

It's a sad time in this country when you start over-controlling gun regs and one state doesn't have the rights given to a neighboring state. I really need to be more aware I suppose when I carry to different states. You guys in these states like NJ, IL, and CA really need to step it up and be heard.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
///MCoupé;2960030 said:
I was watching one of the cops shows a few months back - I think it was Campus PD(?) and a young black guy got pulled over and the cops questioned him about his gun. He said he had a permit to carry (not on him - at home) and that he bought the ammo at Walmart. The cops were telling him that his hollow points were illegal and I thought they were crazy/ignorant. I thought it was in MD but could've been NJ, either way now it's starting to make sense.

It's a sad time in this country when you start over-controlling gun regs and one state doesn't have the rights given to a neighboring state. I really need to be more aware I suppose when I carry to different states. You guys in these states like NJ, IL, and CA really need to step it up and be heard.
Yes you are right we do but, unfortunatly we are a heavely democratic state completely controled by the dems. Yes Christie but, he already said it's a long road and he will not get relected. i love him don't get me wrong but, Corzine was so bad the dems had no choice. The Country loves him but, most of NJ doesn't. BIG BIG corrupt school system here and unions. About the guy being from NJ with a carry permit not possible unless he's former LE. In NJ it's impossible to get one.

It is not a winner, not by a long shot.
The 124+P EFMJ's in 9mm would be your best bet. Even if they fail to expand, their flat nose will cut a wide channel.
Thats not what I meant by the winner I know nothing about the stuff. I was tryiny to remember what my FFL told me and you got it. Then after I was reminded I was going to ask for reviews on the Critical Defense ammo. So you are saying no good for Critical Defense but to try the 124+P EFMJ's in 9mm.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
i just bought some critical defense and the LGS owner spoke very highly of it. the small ball in the front of the bullet helps with expansion, and i would think that the smaller tip would help it to penetrate more layers (thick coat) even though it has a smaller weight. just my opinion, i'm not an expert by any means.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
You are incorrect. The polymer tip cause the bullet to start expanding before it engages flesh the sooner the bullet expands ie before hitting the bad guy the sooner it stops. Under penetration especially then encountering light barriers this along with the ultra light bullet for the caliber will cause under penetration. If you live in a state that allows HPs don't mess with anything else. Hornady CD is a gimmick round. You know they say 100% expansion, I've seen IWBA protocol tests where Hornady CD didn't expand. When it did expand it performed worse than Gold Dots. Cuda has posted links to these tests.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
What kind of penalty does one face if caught with hollowpoints in jersey? Not advocating anything illegal, just curious.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
The state criminal statutes sections that pertain to firearms can be found in New Jersey Title 2C, Chapter 39. Firearms, Other Dangerous Weapons and Instruments Of Crime (N.J.S. 2C:39-1 et seq.)

4th degree felony - see this: LINK
(go to prohibited weapons and devices section)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would not and do not own hollow point bullets because it is a grey area and the police themselves don't know the law. I had a couplod LE tell me that. Ask anyone in NJ and get a different answer that includes LE. Read this and tell me what you think. New Jersey State Police - Transportation and Use of Hollow Point Ammunition by Sportsmen

This thread started because I am looking for a bullet that will do the damage of a hollow point but, NJ legal. I already made the decision not to carrty hollow points because our gun laws so bleeping blury:confused: it is just not worth it to me. Here is another interesting read. New Jersey Man Serving Seven Years in Prison for Legal Guns | Bergen County Criminal Law Attorney Blog and Complete Miscarriage of Justice: Man Given 7 Years for Legally Owned Guns | All American Blogger

Simply I am concerned with the system and thanks for listening to me vent. We have groups here called the NJ2AS which stands for New Jersey 2nd Amendment Society which I support. I don't miss a chance to vote even if it's a small election. I have been to Tea Party rallies. Don't know what else to do this is a highly controled demoratic state. They hate guns and don't want to to you to have guns. I believe the gun laws are gray because they want you to give up and be scared. heres an example of my concerns: hollow points when I read the law they are legal but, a man gets arrested and a State Trooper tells me they are illegal. :confused:

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
///MCoupé;2960030 said:
IIt's a sad time in this country when you start over-controlling gun regs and one state doesn't have the rights given to a neighboring state. I really need to be more aware I suppose when I carry to different states. You guys in these states like NJ, IL, and CA really need to step it up and be heard.
I love these comments. Like we don't! The problem is we do not matter to the politicians. We are NOT a large enough voting block. The entire state of Kommifornia is run by liberal Dems. So the large handful of us that would rather eat a bullet than vote for them aren't enough to overcome the liberal masses that keep putting theses pukes back in office.
It's about money my freind, not gun rights. When union's lose their hold on govt. states might get their rights back. As long as the have nots & union/govt parasites get to lobby & vote, your state may be next.:evil:
A state like NJ would be the only reason I would carry handloads. I would use a soft lead flat point for max damage w/ a non expanding bullet. PITA, sure, but not worth adding 4th deg felony to a good shooting. I don't know the finer points of the NJ law, but JHP are supposed to be legal in your home. Again, walking a fine line w/ the justice system. Imagine being tried by 12 that all think JHP are illegal? Your good SD shooting just took a nose dive in that jury's eyes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Peoples Republic of New Jersey is a non gun friendly state. You cannot CCW in NJ unless you are a current LE or retired thats it just want to make that clear. The reason I am curious about the critical defense load or anything similar to that is I can carry out of NJ like PA for example but, the problem I have is getting to PA. If I get stopped for any reason before I hit the PA boarder I do not want hollow points in my car. I just want to make that clear because sometimes it seems people think I carry in NJ. I don't want to mislead anyone.

That being said fredj338 you hit it right on the head people don't get it. This is a highly democratic state and although I like Chris Christie; Bret Shundler was a better canidate especially for gun advocates. He is for less gun laws and to allow CCW so, why do you ask did he lose well I'll tell you. Even the so called republicans in NJ are as I like to say is "A democrat in a republican suit". Because Christie had to beat out Shundler in a primary and did as we all know. Now I ask you where were the gun republicans because again this was a primary and you have to vote your party. Where in the heck were the so called republicans. Not all are this way because there are a lot like me but not enough. Even in our own damn party we swing as a majority more left. Thats why it is impossible in states like: NJ, CA. and IL. At least in NJ our left is left and our right is left.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts