Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use those quick access boxes in the home? I'd like to keep my pistol handy yet locked up (kids in the house), so is one any better than another?

What are the desireable features to look for?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I just bought one of these . Waiting on it to arrive. I wanted a top-loading device so I could place it in the drawer of my nightstand. I'll let you know how well it works when I receive it.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I would be interested to know Nik, if that safe has a way to be hard mounted to a surface.. such as the floor, a wall, etc... The reason I ask is because I would like to have a safe in my JEEP, mounted to the rear compartment floor board. Having a safe in the car would be nice, but kind of senseless if it can't be mounted in a way so that a thief couldn't just pick it up and walk away with it.

I presently use a fire safe for my in-home gun-locker.. it works find and had some indentations which I could drill through easily, and apply some fire-retardant material to bolt into the floor board of my (undisclosed location) which works fine. I could do the same for a safe for my JEEP, but the safe you linked to would be much more convenient.

Raymond

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have a Gun Vault brand 2 gun safe. I have it right next to my bed. It will mount to a floor or wall. You can also mount it in a vehicle too as it can run on 2 AA batteries I think it is. (it has been so long since i put them in i forgot how many there were. I have had the same batteries in it for 1.5 years, so they do last.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have 2 gunvaults (single gun model), one on each side of bed secured with the cable. His and hers set. They take 8 AA batteries. Also have a key lock.

I like em. However I like to hear it beep when I push the buttons, but in the dead of night those beeps sound REALLY LOUD. I can turn off the beeps but if I do I wont know if i made a mistake or are the batteries dead. So I leave the beeps on...........

·
Registered
28 Posts
paranoid said:
I have 2 gunvaults (single gun model), one on each side of bed secured with the cable. His and hers set. They take 8 AA batteries. Also have a key lock.

I like em. However I like to hear it beep when I push the buttons, but in the dead of night those beeps sound REALLY LOUD. I can turn off the beeps but if I do I wont know if i made a mistake or are the batteries dead. So I leave the beeps on...........
I open mine when I go to bed, and chuck my car keys inside. That way, I can"t leave the next morning without remembering to shut it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I got one of these from Pistol-Gear not too long ago. Great little device that keeps the gun readily at hand, while making it useless to folks who shouldn't have access. So far I can get the thing out in a couple seconds, and it can be mounted to any flat surface. As far as hard mounting in a car, that will be my next project/purchase, another for the car.

http://www.pistol-gear.com/proddetail.php?prod=07RS&PHPSESSID=17d1362fb71ad0d6e82c6fd21d87c814

I also posted a pic of my XD mounted under my desk with one of these in another thread in the Pistol-Gear area. Not a full fledged gun box, but drawing from it is more akin to a holster instead of reaching into a box, where it might have shifted around, or bang into the outter walls (unless its got foam padding on all surfaces).

Matthew

·
Registered
22 Posts
msidner said:
I got one of these from Pistol-Gear not too long ago. Great little device that keeps the gun readily at hand, while making it useless to folks who shouldn't have access. So far I can get the thing out in a couple seconds, and it can be mounted to any flat surface. As far as hard mounting in a car, that will be my next project/purchase, another for the car.

http://www.pistol-gear.com/proddetail.php?prod=07RS&PHPSESSID=17d1362fb71ad0d6e82c6fd21d87c814

I also posted a pic of my XD mounted under my desk with one of these in another thread in the Pistol-Gear area. Not a full fledged gun box, but drawing from it is more akin to a holster instead of reaching into a box, where it might have shifted around, or bang into the outter walls (unless its got foam padding on all surfaces).

Matthew
The one thing that concerns me about something like that is that I wouldn't feel comfortable putting a pistol in that with a round in the chamber. In the process of locking up the pistol, there's just a little too much going on inside the trigger guard. With a box type of vault, you can put the pistol in without anything around the trigger and you can even keep it in the holster if you like.

I've been considering the Stack-On Pistol Drawer Safe for a while now, but the one that Nik posted also looks interesting.

Mike

·
Registered
83 Posts
mark me for a gunvault too. i love mine...

and to paranoid, there's an LED on the top that glows green when you're pushing the right combinations, and red when you're not... i turned the beep off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a quick access safe in my nightstand, its spring loaded top and 4 digit code to get in it.
I wanted to be safe

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I have the two-gun version of the one Nik has.
I REALLY wanted the GunVault, but they were out of stock everywhere for about 4 months, so I got this one. Not quite as nice as the GV, but it does the job very well. It comes with a bolt-down plate that can be easily disconnected from the INSIDE ONLY. They sell additional plates, so you can take it from the nightstand to the Motorhome, etc.... .

Not sure of the current supply situation on GunVaults, now.

·
Registered
397 Posts
fl4ian said:
mark me for a gunvault too. i love mine...

and to paranoid, there's an LED on the top that glows green when you're pushing the right combinations, and red when you're not... i turned the beep off.
I had for got about the light, but I have my safes slipped on end between the bed and nightstand. Enough room to get hand in, but not enough to see light.

tommytrauma said:
I open mine when I go to bed, and chuck my car keys inside. That way, I can"t leave the next morning without remembering to shut it.
This may be my option then.

I also got the one with out the light. The were something like $74 each. I couldn't pass that up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The GunVault is the cat's meow.Your fingers fit just right on the button keypads and you can open the vault at nite w/out having to see anything. Value and price is hard to beat.....Herman. "Lot's o'guns and a 454 Casull".

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm looking for one for under the backseat of my Tahoe. Any ideas and is the Gun Vault shallow enough to fit? I have about a 14x8 spot I'm considering putting it in.
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts