Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a glock fan for years and years now and want to try an XD just because of some of the great things I have heard on some forums about it. I was wondering what the advantages of it over the glock are. Also I was wondering how comfortable it is to carry and how big of a deal is this finish wear thing.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
8,973 Posts
Functionally, I don't think that one has an advantage over the other, unless you see the XDs safety features as advantages. In the end, it comes down to what fits your hand and shooting style best. I guess one could say that price is one advantage, being that the XD is less expensive to buy than a Glock.

Not sure if this is helpful or not. I know there are many on this forum who also own and love Glocks. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
Welcome to the sight. Buying a gun for me was based on what fit my hand the best, then second was the grip safety. Don't know why but I wanted a grip safety, and at the time didn't want a 45. I did try a Glock, it just was not comfortable for me, but to each his own.

As far the finish goes, some have problems, some don't. Mine does have some wear on it, but mine was the pistol used by Springfield as a demo for the magazine reviews (at least thats what they told me :wink: ). Rust, nope. But I also keep it clean.

Go to the range and rent one, see how you like it. That is the best most realistic way to see if you will like it. :)

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
TomSwift said:
The finish is a non issue as far as I'm concerned. Take care of it, clean and lube it and you shouldn't have any problems. Welcome aboard.
But that is tooooooo simple for some people!!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Anyway Clean It, Lube It, Shoot It, Repeat!
Welcome aboard!
I own Glocks and XDs so I like both!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just my 2cents, I love my xd40sc. I tried a glock out just before I bought my and the xd felt better in my hand. A few friends of my own glocks and they seem to like them. I've even fired them, but my xd just feels better. They both have great reputations, but I would say get an xd. As far as the finish is concerned the blued finish has been go so far, but you have two choices. You could go with the stainless also. Just my 2c 8)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've never shot a Glock, but I've only heard good things. As for the XD, I have never had a finish problem and olny one minor malfunction in the first 100 rounds where I had a stove pipe FTE. That was many rounds ago, and not a problem since.

My ruitine is like BUG suggested: I shoot, I clean, I oil... anf then I repeat. It worked for my XD40, my Sub 9, and my brother's XD9 service (were an XD/ Springfield family).

If your still worried about the finish, just get the stainless model. It is a really sweet gun.

"You may fire when ready" -- Grand Moth Tarken(sp?)
I saw Star wars ep III yesterday.

Chris Cahill

·
Registered
540 Posts
Let me first say that i think both the glock and xd are great guns. I've shot both and liked both.

I myself own an xd .40 service bitone. I have not had a single problem with mine... ever! I"ve had it for oh arond 4 months now but shot 2600rds through it so far. I enjoy shooting it very much and think its one of the best guns out there on the market.

With that having been said, i myself purchase the xd becuase of several reasons.
-It offered what i felt was more comfortable and "fitting" to my hand and grip
-It had a grip safety while the glock didnt
-It has a very easy method of tear down.
-The slide lock lever was easy to reach even with my tiny hands
-ambidextrous mag release
-It had a cheaper price tag than the comparable glock

I did quite a bit of hunting for reviews before i bought the xd and found it to have amazing reviews from almost all gun mags and even the NRA.

The only issue that seemed to come up here and there was a less durable than glock finish. My solution: Bitone stainless model.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The main reason I prefer the XD over the Glock is the grip angle. The XD just points more natural for me. I sold 16 Glocks and switched to XD's and CZ's and don't regret the switch one bit. As far as the finish is concerned yes the Glock finish is superior however I have not any trouble with the five XD's I've owned so it is a nonissue for me.

·
Registered
580 Posts
i described it like this once, (don't interpret this literally) "the XD is what a 1911 lover would do to "fix" a glock."

i've had a few smirks from that in conversation. they both go bang, and they both have nifty features that i like. BUT the XD was easier for me to transition to since it had a more classic grip angle. i didn't want to have to "learn" how to shoot a glock, so to speak.

:)

·
Registered
245 Posts
1911WB said:
Two more pluses for the XD: 1. chamber fully encloses case heads
OK - There's something new. I assumed that chambers fully enclose case heads by default.

1 - Does Glock not fully enclose the case?
2 - The advantage of fully enclosed is? (Decreased case deformation for reloaders?)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well, the main concern about the lack of a fully supported chamber is KaBooms....

The reason for having said design is supposed better feeding and reliability. Edit:Yeah, stock glock barrels don't have a full support.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
The finish wear thing is overblown. I carry my XD-40 down here in hellishly hot and humid Houston, Texas...if anything is goign to rust..its gonna rust here! I have not see a spot of rust yet. I do take care of my firearms, though.

I shot a Glock 17 for the better part of 8 years and actually traded it for my XD-40. I don't think I'll ever own a Glock again.

Being that I am also a serious 1911/Hi-Power shooter, I was forever fighting the grip angle of my Glock 17 and could never get used to it or could transition back and forth.

One range session with a borrowed XD and I sold my Glock 17 the next week and have not looked back. The XD just points more naturally and feels better in the hand than any Glock product, period. The trigger is much better as well. That spongy, wierd feeling trigger on my G-17 never sat well with me. THe XD trigger felt great right out of the box.

The XD, for me, has been every bit as tough and reliable as my old Glock. I'd trust it to the ends of the earth.

Don't be afraid...toss the Glock and I am betting that after a few range sessions with the XD, you'll wonder why you did not make the change sooner. I sure did!

-Brickboy240

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. What should I expect to pay for a black XD 9 service pistol? Thanks again!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Around here they run from 469 to 500 dollars, but some people have found them much cheaper. depends on the area of the country where you live.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am in the Ocala FL area. I am going to try to find a rental at one of the semi local ranges here to try it out. I handled one yesterday and they feel really nice and solid. I think they actually have a more solid feel than the Glock. It may just be the weight but I am eager to try one now.

Brian

·
Registered
657 Posts
if you look on www.gunbroker.com you can get a good deal on a XD9 they usually run around 400 dollars.... when I bought mine I had it coated with dura coat I carry everywhere and do not get any rust or wear... its a good investment to look into if your worried about wear or the finish of the XD

1 - 20 of 25 Posts