Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got a XDm 9mm, trading up from a new Xd9...long story, another thread;)

Few questions:

I got the two tone model. Now that still has the melonite treatment correct? Any special cleaning precautions with the stainless finish versus the black and can I still use a silicon cloth to wipe down the slide?

Also, I knew the XDm does not have a captive recoil, but what does that really translate to other than having to be more careful while stripping it? Is there a reason they don't use a captive recoil on the M series? I guess I am just not sure what differencee it makes??

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
No special cleaning precautions, silicon cloth is ok.

The XDM and XD Tactical recoil spring assy is simpler than the captive assembly that the SC and Service XDs have.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No special cleaning precautions, silicon cloth is ok.

The XDM and XD Tactical recoil spring assy is simpler than the captive assembly that the SC and Service XDs have.

Simpler in that there are fewer parts? I thought the captive was simpler b/c the spring did not come off the rod. So what is the purpose of the dual captive spring system on the service models?

Also, the sales guy field stripped it for me with the magazine in, forgetting to remove it. This wouldn't cause damage would it?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Simpler in that there are fewer parts? I thought the captive was simpler b/c the spring did not come off the rod. So what is the purpose of the dual captive spring system on the service models?

Also, the sales guy field stripped it for me with the magazine in, forgetting to remove it. This wouldn't cause damage would it?
Simpler as in fewer parts. There is a spring and a rod. That's it.

I would guess they use the captive rod on the 3 and 4" barrel guns because it is the only way (or the way they chose at least) to get the performance they wanted with a shortened space to work with.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick responses.

I just have the two other questions:

Are the two tone slides treated with melonite? If not, are they more prone to rust?

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Post pictures of it. No, the slides are not coated with anything from my knowledge. There have been a few people who say they have had minor rust issues but personally I think it's from poor maintenance. I've had mine for quite some time with no problems.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you want to take it apart really fast, lock it back, flip the lever up and push the slide lock down. Watch the slide fly about three feet out. :D

Lol...I have heard of that happening to people. Luckily, I haven't had that fun.

Can anyone comment on how the stainless slides are finished and whether or not removing the slide with the magazine (though empty) in place could cause damage?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Lol...I have heard of that happening to people. Luckily, I haven't had that fun.

Can anyone comment on how the stainless slides are finished and whether or not removing the slide with the magazine (though empty) in place could cause damage?
Stainless is stainless - no coatings. Melonite is what gives the "blue" model its matte black finish.

As far as the slide goes, if it came off without him forcing it I highly doubt it did any damage. Now if he had to jerk and pull on it, that's a different story. Just as an FYI you cannot remove the slide of a regular XD Tac with a mag in. I just tried it. Interestingly enough though you can reassemble it with a mag in.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stainless is stainless - no coatings. Melonite is what gives the "blue" model its matte black finish.

So stainless holds up well then? I've never had a stainless finished slide, but it just looked to good to resist :lol:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yeah, it should hold up fine. One of the reasons stainless is used is because of its superior resistance to rust vs. regular blued steel. Plus, I agree it looks very sharp. Just keep it clean, dry, and out of humid areas during storage (like you would for any gun), you don't have to do anything special with it. Might show smudges a little more, but if you want you can polish it until it looks like a mirror! There is some good info on this site about polishing and refinishing slides. The possibilities are nearly endless.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I used to carry all-stainless and stnls-slide polymer frame guns in the humid SE, no rust issues ever on either with basic maintenance. Been using Eezox lately on the stable, smells weird but seems to work as well as CLP if not better... A synthetic motor oil like Mobil One also works if you are on a tight budget - the synthetic oils tend to stick to metal better according to a decent engine builder I know.

Additional unsolicited info on leather since it's your first handgun (not counting the 'Service' you never fired): (1) Never leave your gun in a leather holster for storage as it tends to pull the oil away from the weapon, and always wiping it down after carrying in leather is never a bad idea. (2) Lemon or Orange Pledge spray-on furniture polish works great on most smooth-finished leather, the folks at Vanson Motorcycle leathers recommend it and swear it has all the oild that the leather needs to stay moist/pliable. YMMV.

Congrats on the 'm' & I hope it serves you well!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

As far as the slide goes, if it came off without him forcing it I highly doubt it did any damage. Now if he had to jerk and pull on it, that's a different story. Just as an FYI you cannot remove the slide of a regular XD Tac with a mag in. I just tried it. Interestingly enough though you can reassemble it with a mag in.

No, it actually gave no real resistance, I think that's what made it easy to overlook until after the fact.

Given that the slide wasn't forced, no concern for damage?

·
Registered
187 Posts
No, it actually gave no real resistance, I think that's what made it easy to overlook until after the fact.

Given that the slide wasn't forced, no concern for damage?
find out for yourself - chamber a round, then fire the gun. if it doesn't work and cycle, then use the spare mag. if it works with the spare mag, then the first mag is probably damaged. if gun does not work with both mags, then have your gun checked.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
find out for yourself - chamber a round, then fire the gun. if it doesn't work and cycle, then use the spare mag. if it works with the spare mag, then the first mag is probably damaged. if gun does not work with both mags, then have your gun checked.
I'll be at the range tomorrow. A function test with snap caps worked fine. I doubt the mag would be damaged though. I really doubt anything is since no real force was applied....just thought I'd ask if anyone else ever did this by mistake.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I think you're good to go. Now get out there and break that baby in. :smile:

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
There is no problem with taking the XDm down with the magazine in place, it won't damage the pistol. I just wouldn't recomend it. The biggest issue with taking the pistol down with a magazine in place is that you may also have a round in the chamber, or the magazine. Which means that you can take it down with a live round chambered, something that I just won't ever do. Bottomline, they only way that the salesman could have hurt your pistol is if he dropped the frame on a hard floor and bent the ejector. Since that didn't happen, your good to go.

I would recomend that you run a patch thru the barrel before firing it because my XDm 40 had a fair amount of grease in the barrel when I purchased it and bad things can happend if you fire a new pistol with a grease loaded barrel.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There is no problem with taking the XDm down with the magazine in place, it won't damage the pistol. I just wouldn't recomend it. The biggest issue with taking the pistol down with a magazine in place is that you may also have a round in the chamber, or the magazine. Which means that you can take it down with a live round chambered, something that I just won't ever do. Bottomline, they only way that the salesman could have hurt your pistol is if he dropped the frame on a hard floor and bent the ejector. Since that didn't happen, your good to go.

I would recomend that you run a patch thru the barrel before firing it because my XDm 40 had a fair amount of grease in the barrel when I purchased it and bad things can happend if you fire a new pistol with a grease loaded barrel.
Thanks for the great answer. I'll just have the range officer double check. I did give the gun a light cleaning and oiling. It was pretty well cleaned and lubed, but I wanted to be sure and do it myself. Tomorrow my dad and I are going to the range. He bought his XDM mm in black today. So we have the same gun with different finishes. Should be a good time!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well everything is good. Range officer saw nothing wrong. Though he did really like my Xdm:mrgreen: 100 rounds various types, used both mags, flawless functioning.

I do love this gun!

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have a 15 yr. old S&W 4006 / stainless which has never rusted anywhere.
My XD 9 Bi-tone Service is 1 1/2 yrs. old........no rust
My XDM-40 is only two months old.....no problems yet and have put 350 rounds through it.
I am anal about cleaning after shooting and clean/lube the same day.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts