Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for those of you familar with many 5.56 variants i have some questions.

first of all, i am not loyal to a make, country or look. i could go wood stock norinco, poly everything ... arsenal i dont give a fark.

do you guys know if arsenals are all new like the saigas?
http://eastcoastfirearms.com/gallery...2&is_gallery=0
$750 arsenal is more thani wanted to pay, but if they are all new, its not TON more than buying $290-320 saiga .223/5.56 then the mods of $150, a folding stock, and my time.

My concerns:
I wouldnt mind buying a saiga and making it a pistol grip, i just want to use surplus mags, and have whatever i have feed as reliable as a professional unit. Not intersted in buying saiga with the sporter stock and keeping it like that, nor am i interested in the facotory saiga mags. I want steel mil surp mags that feed as reliable as any pre ban norinco 5.56, imi gallil etc.

second concern: I want both a 7.62x39 and a 5.56 ak, i know i can mod 7.62 mags to get a automatic last shot bolt hold open

does anyone know if can i mod the mag followers on 5.56 mags to make a automatic last shot bolt hold open, like i can on the 7.62x39 ?

i am intersted in giving it a go at moddng a saiga. I do love the fact they are all new and quite affordable.

lastly, any good write ups with good pictures anypne would like to link to would be welcomed. I already have a sks (norinco) so the priority was to do the 5.56 ak first, be it an arsenal, saiga or other. Then if i do a saiga and turns out nice i will get a 7.62x39 unit and mod that.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
for those of you familar with many 5.56 variants i have some questions.

first of all, i am not loyal to a make, country or look. i could go wood stock norinco, poly everything ... arsenal i dont give a fark.

do you guys know if arsenals are all new like the saigas?
http://eastcoastfirearms.com/gallery...2&is_gallery=0
$750 arsenal is more thani wanted to pay, but if they are all new, its not TON more than buying $290-320 saiga .223/5.56 then the mods of $150, a folding stock, and my time.
Arsenals, Saigas and WASRs are all made from new parts.
My concerns:
I wouldnt mind buying a saiga and making it a pistol grip, i just want to use surplus mags, and have whatever i have feed as reliable as a professional unit. Not intersted in buying saiga with the sporter stock and keeping it like that, nor am i interested in the facotory saiga mags. I want steel mil surp mags that feed as reliable as any pre ban norinco 5.56, imi gallil etc.
There is no such thing as a "surplus" mag in 5.56x45. No country ever issued an AK in 5.56 until the Poles started issuing their Beryl rifle. Each country that made/makes 5.56 Kalashnikovs uses their own magazine design. Some of these fit other countries AKs, some of them don't. The WASR runs well with Weiger or weiger clone magazines. The Arsenals and Saigas [1] run well with Bulgarian 5.56 waffle mags. The East German bakelites Century has provided with SAR/WASRs does not work reliably across the board. Believe it or not, polymer Galil mags work great in the .223 Saiga.
second concern: I want both a 7.62x39 and a 5.56 ak, i know i can mod 7.62 mags to get a automatic last shot bolt hold open

does anyone know if can i mod the mag followers on 5.56 mags to make a automatic last shot bolt hold open, like i can on the 7.62x39 ?
Gunco.net and other forums have plenty of how-tos on this and many other modifications.
i am intersted in giving it a go at moddng a saiga. I do love the fact they are all new and quite affordable.

lastly, any good write ups with good pictures anypne would like to link to would be welcomed. I already have a sks (norinco) so the priority was to do the 5.56 ak first, be it an arsenal, saiga or other. Then if i do a saiga and turns out nice i will get a 7.62x39 unit and mod that.
Converting a Saiga is very easy to do with common tools. However, if you want to convert it into a full house Kalashnikov klone, you'll need more than "common hand tools".

.223 Saiga with Bulgarian 5.56 waffle mag:

.223 Saiga with polymer Galil mag:

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
a place near here called red stick firearms has started making saiga .223 with a ar-15 magwell. pretty sweet.

dang i would buy one of those. that is SWEET
how much?

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this may be a dumb question, i have seen the hk sights on tromix and red jacket aks, how is that sight on a removeable dust cover any more accurate than a dust cover scope mount on a sks (which i know from experience, is very lacking in holding zero)

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
this may be a dumb question, i have seen the hk sights on tromix and red jacket aks, how is that sight on a removeable dust cover any more accurate than a dust cover scope mount on a sks (which i know from experience, is very lacking in holding zero)
Glass (or modern plastic) optics weigh a whole lot more than typical set of irons.

Physics dictates that the same recoil will move a heavier object further.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
Galil, INSAS, Valmet 76 were issued 5.56 AKs, the INSAS was a flop-but the AR/ARM and SAR Galils in 5.56 are everywhere...same for some of the Valmet 76 often encountered in S. America...

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Galil, INSAS, Valmet 76 were issued 5.56 AKs, the INSAS was a flop-but the AR/ARM and SAR Galils in 5.56 are everywhere...same for some of the Valmet 76 often encountered in S. America...
Not to quibble, but the Valmet is a 2nd generation variant based on the AK and the Galil is a third generation variant based on the Valmet.

Mags and other items do not interchange easily between these and the standard military Kalashnikov.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
Not to quibble, but the Valmet is a 2nd generation variant based on the AK and the Galil is a third generation variant based on the Valmet.

Mags and other items do not interchange easily between these and the standard military Kalashnikov.
no problem at all, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong-my education continues everyday...:grin:...i just know that I use Valmet and Galil mags in 5.56 AKs, and the Galil is a direct copy of the RK with just a few differeces. The RK 76 is the only one with a stamped receiver the 62 and 86TP, and 95 are both milled-like the Galil. The mags will interchange without or with very little modification. I use them in my Bulgarians all the time.

The only draw back is, and I have encountered this on two different occaisions....mag and mag well size for certain 5.56 mags! i bought some Chinese 5.56 mags for Numrich in bulk once..wouldn't fit in the mag well of my 5.56 or 5,45 guns..snapped right into my 7.62 guns...Russeller (you should remember him) got me some Onyx mags..they fit the guns just fine but wouldn't work in my Chinese 5.56 guns-stamped or milled. Anyway, Century has a butt ton of Weiger mags from 5 to 30rds right now-they won't last long....

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Anyway, Century has a butt ton of Weiger mags from 5 to 30rds right now-they won't last long....
Yep, there has never been an agreement or enforcement on mag dimensions between countries producing 5.56 Kalashnikovs.

Century also has a "butt ton" (is that anything like a metric assload? :p) of the Romanian made weiger clone mags.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I spoke with one of the red stick guys and they said you can get a converted saiga .223 with the ar-15 magwell

their converted .223 saiga goes for 639 + another 250 for the ar magwell. so 889 for a base converted saiga with the ar magwell

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
I spoke with one of the red stick guys and they said you can get a converted saiga .223 with the ar-15 magwell

their converted .223 saiga goes for 639 + another 250 for the ar magwell. so 889 for a base converted saiga with the ar magwell
Or get an Arsenal a little cheaper....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts