Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on putting together a bug out bag in case of natural disaster. I am probably going to up the ante to 5 days instead of 3, if its doable.

I need to know what people are recommending for water treatment. I saw the iodine tabs with the neutralizer today for like 9 bucks. Is there a decent filtration system that is light weight with a blow back feature to clean the filter and make it last longer? How long do these type of filters last?

Also, what should I get for a rifle? I am looking for an inexpensive rifle that can handle some abuse. I have heard the Ruger 10/22 is good. Don't want to spend more than $150 on the rifle.

What kind of pack should I get? Does it need to be waterproof or should I use additional waterproof bags for the needed items?

Any items you would not go without in a BOB?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The rifle will need to be lightweight and durable. Accuracy is a must and scope mount is desirable.

Speaking of scopes, any suggestions for a durable, reliable scope for the rifle?

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
150 for a rifle is doable. maybe. around here a 10/22 is around 200. pretty much any place should have one. keep your eyes open for a deal.

as far as a B.O.B. think of what you use everyday. toothpaste, toothbrush, poo tickets, (maybe a razor but thats low priority for me) i would go heavy on socks and underwear. jeans you can wear for days and days and not wash but you gotta have clean and dry for your feet and junk.

you need a first aid kit. buy a good one and it should have pretty much everything you would need. get some 90% rubbing alcohol. a fire steel. some newspaper. a nice BIG sturdy built knife. a multi tool of some sort. paracord. a small mirror. a few carabiners. ammo. a small radio and extra batteries. I prefer maglights SHTF is not the time for dollar store plastic junk. extra batteries. good boots. a good heavy jacket. a hat. gloves leather and durable. eye protection. some would say a gas mask good for NBC.

a small pot to cook in. some utensils. a water siphon of some type. a water filter. I would have a gallon gas can specifically for water and a shaker type siphon.

as far as food goes you need to be able to carry it and cook it outside over fire. a few cans of ravioli or chili/stew are a good place to start. you can eat them cold if you have to. look for weight calorie content and nutrition. you can get 5 big cans and eat once a day or 10 cans for twice a day. get some other stuff too. do some research on shelf stability of what ever products you intend to use.

this is just off the top of my head. maybe to help discussion get going and maybe to help organize my thoughts on this subject as well. some stuff I have some stuff I need.

kroger sometimes has 10 cans for 10 bucks on various items so I try to hit that a few times when they do.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Good ideas for bags in this thread:
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/shtf-survival-disaster-preparedness/141707-post-your-bob-ghb.html

A ruger 10/22 will work but isn't made to be a quick break down rifle if you are looking to store it inside the bag. 22's are a great lightweight survival gun.

Another option, although some might disagree but a side by side shotgun especially a stagecoach design would be compact and reliable, good for hunting or self-defense. Used ones can be had for pretty cheap.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Don't forget a reliable means of starting a fire. Such as fire steel, or a fire piston. A Tinder box, and everything that goes along with it. This could save your life if you are stuck in a survival situation out in the middle of no where.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Yes a plan! Where are you going and how will you get there?

If the answer is "Into the woods somewhere" you should probably Bug in unless your home is destroyed.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Food, water, shelter, and a bag to carry it in.

Those are the basics. "Start" your BOB centered around those items. Then, add things like a good radio, first aid kit, decent firearms, quality knives, etc.

As time goes on, and you get more into it (paranoid?), get other "essential" stuff, like an AR and/or AK arsenal and several thousand rounds of ammo, your body weight in gold and silver, enough food to survive until the end of time, a dam for water storage and electricity generation, and a multi-room underground bunker with booby trapped entrances and blast doors.

Opinions are as varied as azzholes on what is the "best". Sometimes budget and other factors decide what is best. Usually, it's just personal preference. Initially, just get some stuff together, then upgrade later, if need be.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Food, water, shelter, and a bag to carry it in.

Those are the basics. "Start" your BOB centered around those items. Then, add things like a good radio, first aid kit, decent firearms, quality knives, etc.

As time goes on, and you get more into it (paranoid?), get other "essential" stuff, like an AR and/or AK arsenal and several thousand rounds of ammo, your body weight in gold and silver, enough food to survive until the end of time, a dam for water storage and electricity generation, and a multi-room underground bunker with booby trapped entrances and blast doors.

Opinions are as varied as azzholes on what is the "best". Sometimes budget and other factors decide what is best. Usually, it's just personal preference. Initially, just get some stuff together, then upgrade later, if need be.
I agree with him. Start here and then build up. After those three a good fixed blade knife. Multiple fire starting options in case one doesn't work. I don't really like the canned food ideas as canned food is HEAVY. I'd try and find a lighter option if it was me. But to each his own.

the biggest thing is make sure you USE what you plan on carrying. It won't do you any good if you get out on the road and you have no clue how your stuff works.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes a plan! Where are you going and how will you get there?

If the answer is "Into the woods somewhere" you should probably Bug in unless your home is destroyed.
Ideally, I would like to be prepared for the worst case scenario. That takes time, money, research. So, to start, my basic objective here is to be prepared for a natural disaster. I have friends that were in that tornado in the south and they had nothing. I don't want a natural disaster to render me useless. My plan would be to have enough of the essentials to get to a stable town.

The other scenario would be social disorder. I think that would be a situation that would require bug in. This would probably warrant a whole different set up and B.O.B. Or at least thats what I would think.

Also, someone mentioned canned goods. I don't think that would be a great idea considering the weight. Especially if you did hit the woods. My wife would be with me and she is limited by some physical restrictions. Her pack would be real light and I would be carrying a lot for the both of us.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I am working on putting together a bug out bag in case of natural disaster. I am probably going to up the ante to 5 days instead of 3, if its doable.
So this is only a 5 day plan and not a long term strategy? (which I think is just fine... it's what I do).

Also, what should I get for a rifle? I am looking for an inexpensive rifle that can handle some abuse. I have heard the Ruger 10/22 is good. Don't want to spend more than $150 on the rifle.
Why do you want a rifle in your 5 day plan? If it is to hunt for food, it doesn't seem very practical. A lot of weight when you can add another MRE or two. If it's for self-defense, then I'd go with something a little heftier than the .22lr round.

A good (small-ish) knife, a good radio, first-aid kit, bottled water, MREs, spanish-english dictionary, et al.

I also have $200 per planned day in cash (yay instant disaster-related inflation!) ... sturdier currencies (gold/silver) won't become super valuable until weeks after a disaster and they weigh a lot so don't go into my BOB. Now if I was prepping seriously for civil collapse, then yeah. I'd go that route.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
So this is only a 5 day plan and not a long term strategy? (which I think is just fine... it's what I do).

Why do you want a rifle in your 5 day plan? If it is to hunt for food, it doesn't seem very practical. A lot of weight when you can add another MRE or two. If it's for self-defense, then I'd go with something a little heftier than the .22lr round.

A good (small-ish) knife, a good radio, first-aid kit, bottled water, MREs, spanish-english dictionary, et al.

I also have $200 per planned day in cash (yay instant disaster-related inflation!) ... sturdier currencies (gold/silver) won't become super valuable until weeks after a disaster and they weigh a lot so don't go into my BOB. Now if I was prepping seriously for civil collapse, then yeah. I'd go that route.

I've got to think that cash weighs more than 1oz per $1300, so no using that excuse.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
PolsVoice, I like the idea of $200/day in cash in your bag. However, I'm not sure I'm in agreement with your inference that gold or silver will become (more) valuable after a disaster ... unless you're referring to a presidential election as a disaster.

Can you name a single civilization that has collapsed that found precious metals more valuable during or after the collapse? I know I can't.

What I learned from the history of collapsing/collapsed civilizations is that the basic elements of survival are the things that become most valuable.

Back on topic ...

A five-day bag is certainly do-able. OP, do you intend to carry this pack on your back? Do you intend to bug out in a vehicle? If you plan to bug out on foot, a five-day bag should weigh very little more than a three-day bag.

Remember the Rule of Threes as you pack:

You can survive ...
... three minutes without air
... three hours without shelter (in 'harsh' conditions)
... three days without water
... three weeks without food
... three months without hope

You might want to toss a few N95 masks in your bag. They weigh virtually nothing and will help filter impurities in the air in the event of a disaster.

When it comes to water, I like a bit of redundancy in my bag. I carry Micropur water treatment tablets as well as a Katadyn Hiker filter.

You can carry lightweight shelter materials with you, but they're usually not terribly durable. Learn to make shelters with materials that are naturally available in your area.

You can go a long time, relatively speaking, without food but it's difficult to stay active without caloric input. Look for something lightweight with a good nutritional balance. There are some 3600 calorie wafer-type survival foods out there, but they don't have very well-rounded nutrition. Clif Bars are pretty good. MRE's aren't bad, but they're bulky in their packaged form. You might want to break them down and tuck the contents into smaller areas of your pack.

Without a plan you'll quickly run out of hope. Make a plan. Pack the bag to support the plan.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I've got to think that cash weighs more than 1oz per $1300, so no using that excuse.
True, but you unless you can't easily divvy up 1oz of gold as you can fifty to a hundred $20 bills. Plus, are you going to carry around scales and a chemistry set to prove to your buyer that they are indeed buying 1 troy ounce of 24 karat gold valued at $1300?

Gold is a great (reasonably) stable choice for diversifying your economic portfolio and I feel is an excellent option if you are prepping for long-term (or long-ish term) economic collapse (a la ex-Soviet Russia in the 1991-1992, Post-war Germany or Zimbabwe now). But for a 5-day BOB designed to get you out of the way of a localized national disaster? for me... gold doesn't fit the bill. Each his own, though.

Can you name a single civilization that has collapsed that found precious metals more valuable during or after the collapse? I know I can't.
This is true that gold retains value (usually), but gold hasn't always been as liquid as a currency. I imagine that it won't become a preferred currency for trade for most of society until faith in the US Dollar has completely collapsed... and I think that this will take more than 5 days.

My argument isn't about value, it's about liquidity and being able to quickly and easily navigate financial transactions when you're trying to get out of Dodge. In planning for an emergency 5-day Bug Out Plan... not a EOTWAWKI event, then I still think cash is king. An ounce of gold may be more valuable, but I think that if you try to use that to buy a vehicle or gasoline, most people in America would want to know things like the purity, whether it's really gold, etc. before they made that transaction.... most people aren't equipped to make that judgment.

If you flip the coin, imagine that the zombies have come and you have a spare 2000 Toyota 4-Runner. A guy comes buy with a 5 ounce brick of shiny yellow metal and offers to trade your toyota for his metal which he's calling gold. Wouldn't you want to know that a.) it really is gold, b.) it is pure gold not something electrolytically coated, c.) the weight is really equal to the 5 ounces that he claims (and is stamped somehow on the metal), d.) assuming that it was as advertised, that you could effectively trade these 5 ounces of shiny stuff for $5-6000 worth of something functional in the future? In a civil collapse, these bartering skills might become standard thus eliminating these considerations. But in my opinion and for the short term, cash is something people know, and are comfortable with. For me and my 2 week plan, I go with cash. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
My argument includes liquidity in the value of an item or monetary instrument. If civilization is collapsing and whatever you have is not "liquid" - in the sense that it's readily accepted by those from whom you need to procure supplies - there is no value.

I think you just reiterated my point, PolsVoice.

Gold has no place in my three day plan, two week plan or any plan, for that matter, that involves either a temporary or long-term collapse of society. Gold was of no use to Katrina survivors. Gold was of no use to Ottomans during the collapse of their empire.

Gold is primarily useful as a hedge against a devalued "convenient" currency like cash ... and as a metal for creating jewelry. I bought some gold back in the mid to late-90's when the price was down around $300 - $400 an ounce. I've sold it all in the last several months. Now, that's what gold is good for!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

The plan is for 5 days, not long term. However, you never know what can happen. What starts out as a 5 day scenario can take its turn for the worst. Which is why I want a rifle as part of the setup. 5 days can turn into long term. That is also why I want to get iodine tabs and a water purification system as part of the setup. Ideally, I would like to have a .22lr and a 12 ga. pump shotgun along with my (getting it soon) XDm .40 compact. Would also like to add a hi cap 9 mm to the setup. Which is a lot of weight. But it would ultimately go in the car. If I run into the decision to ditch the car, I would have to choose what comes and what stays. Good point on the radio and spanish-english dictionary. I think a large fixed blade knife goes without saying. Cash was not in the plan. Maybe I should add that to the setup. Hard enough to keep 20 bucks in the wallet.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A five-day bag is certainly do-able. OP, do you intend to carry this pack on your back? Do you intend to bug out in a vehicle? If you plan to bug out on foot, a five-day bag should weigh very little more than a three-day bag.

You might want to toss a few N95 masks in your bag. They weigh virtually nothing and will help filter impurities in the air in the event of a disaster.

When it comes to water, I like a bit of redundancy in my bag. I carry Micropur water treatment tablets as well as a Katadyn Hiker filter.

You can carry lightweight shelter materials with you, but they're usually not terribly durable. Learn to make shelters with materials that are naturally available in your area.

You can go a long time, relatively speaking, without food but it's difficult to stay active without caloric input. Look for something lightweight with a good nutritional balance. There are some 3600 calorie wafer-type survival foods out there, but they don't have very well-rounded nutrition. Clif Bars are pretty good. MRE's aren't bad, but they're bulky in their packaged form. You might want to break them down and tuck the contents into smaller areas of your pack.

Without a plan you'll quickly run out of hope. Make a plan. Pack the bag to support the plan.
Should the need arise, I do plan to bug out in a vehicle. However, I would also want to be able to carry on my back and some on my wife's back too. Great advice on the masks. I will google the Katadyn filter. Clean water would be my priority. I am pretty sure I have a solution for meal bars. Not a fan of cliff bars. I sell meal bars, and they are actually very nutritional and hold a great shelf life. As far as shelter is concerned, I don't see the point in carrying anything other than 100mph tape, twine and similar things to make shelter with. Probably a hatchet in there too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts