Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a few questions for those that have done combat cuts themselves.

After attending an 8 hour concealed carry class from SaferUSA, great people. I realized that I would love to have the combat cut. I came home with a leather burnt thumb from many draws and attempts to get the high grip on my pistol. I realized that in a bad situation, getting that high grip is absolutely critical because of that rear safety. That and they have two more classes that require 400 rounds and I'm thinking my thumb is going to be hurting afterwords.

So on to the question/s. How does the rig feel after the modification, do you feel the pistol pressing, or is it uncomfortable at all? For those that have been carrying for a while, I'm still pretty new and have only carried a few times when I went to visit a friend in AL, do you recommend modifying the holster after learning to draw without it. I caught myself a few times attempting to adjust my grip or paying attention to my raw skin scraping against the leather during the class and thought it may be a good idea.

Any thoughts or input is appreciated.

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
You don't have to cut away much, I just took off at most 1 inch. Can't say as I noticed any difference in the feel of the gun against me while carrying. Take off a little, try it, do more if you need.

Here's my result. Those are 1 inch squares.

·
Registered
51 Posts
sorry thing is bad information

"you could send it back to CB and they will do it for you, and i think it will still keep your warranty if they do it but void it if you do a DIY job."

DIY jobs are ok and will not void the warranty

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Here's a pic of two of my STs.

The one on the left has not been altered.

Though it's not pretty, my primary carry holster is the one on the right.

The trim has definitely given me improved function. (If I want pretty, I'll buy a leather OWB. I want "function"!)

I did the trim job myself. I also use the velcro clips with my PCH which enables complete concealability.

I can also carry my 24/7 pro C 45 at the 1:30 position with my PCH.

·
Registered
413 Posts
you could send it back to CB and they will do it for you, and i think it will still keep your warranty if they do it but void it if you do a DIY job.
not true! From the man himself!

Originally Posted by mtcraigco
Where the heck are people hearing that?

It's bullshit, we don't care if you do your own combat cut, we'll still honor the warranty.

The competition must be getting desperate enough to lie I guess.

Just thought I would help others out, I asked him.
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/crossbreed-holsters/179859-void-warranty.html

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
LOL

I just saw this.

folks If yer gonna say something on this board about my company, you might hop over to the CBH forum first and get yer facts straight!

No harm no foul

peace

·
Registered
51 Posts
not true! From the man himself!

Originally Posted by mtcraigco
Where the heck are people hearing that?

It's bullshit, we don't care if you do your own combat cut, we'll still honor the warranty.

The competition must be getting desperate enough to lie I guess.

Just thought I would help others out, I asked him.
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/crossbreed-holsters/179859-void-warranty.html

i must have read it in here one or something, i know i heard it somewhere. good to know though. thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

and sorry for the bad information guys

·
Registered
413 Posts
LOL

I just saw this.

folks If yer gonna say something on this board about my company, you might hop over to the CBH forum first and get yer facts straight!

No harm no foul

peace
This is why I posted that thread on your subforum, thanks again for the info Mr. Craighead! If you could rush my order that I ordered on July 4th I would much appreciate it! ;)

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
i must have read it in here one or something, i know i heard it somewhere. good to know though. thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

and sorry for the bad information guys
No sweat, someone is putting that out there, I've heard it several times lately, Im sure you're just repeating what you heard.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help. I cut it down a little bit at a time. Where I have it now is more comfortable and easier to get that high grip. I think I may like to shave down the bottom a little bit but as I carry more I guess I'll see what I prefer.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The cut looks good.
Thanks! I was going to use the bottom of a glass like what was suggested but didn't feel like going to look for a glass. I marked off where I wanted it cut while the gun was in the holster, not loaded of course. Then sanded the edges and burnt them just a bit to clear up any mess. Feels pretty nice. Wore it from IN to TN.

·
Premium Member
20,508 Posts
Spizz said:
Thanks! I was going to use the bottom of a glass like what was suggested but didn't feel like going to look for a glass. I marked off where I wanted it cut while the gun was in the holster, not loaded of course. Then sanded the edges and burnt them just a bit to clear up any mess. Feels pretty nice. Wore it from IN to TN.
Glad you like it. I ended up taking more off after my initial cut. Dremel with a sanding bit is what I used to fine tune it.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
+1 on the Dremel tool. I mod'ed mine a little less because of grip than the extra leather ended up grabbing my shirt and making my grip print. The cut helps with that as well as a better grasp on the weapon.

Good job with yours!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Did my own combat cut 15min. after i wore the holster. I also have a similar holster from TheisHolsters.com and his come with basically a "combat cut" as is, so i was used to it already. When i got the Crossbreed for another gun, i was thinking to myself "why is there so much leather around here where there shouldn't be??" and i realized then what the "combat cut" was. I'd HIGHLY recommend the combat cut to anyone wanting a conceal carry holster they can draw fast and comfortable from. IMO the combat cut only hinders your ability to get a good grip on the gun and draw, in no way does it compromise comfort at least in my situation, it may have made it more comfy after the cut ;)..

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I did my own combat cut for the very same reason. I was not able to get a grip on mine either so I cut it down. Then used a rasp to smooth out the sharp edges. Then some fine sandpaper for a smoother finish. It feels better to me. The non combat cut version felt like way to much leather. Personally when I buy my 1911 I will have a CBST and it will be combat cut!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts