Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchasing a new xd for daily carry. Right now I carry a Kel-tec 3AT or a Taurus 605, but am thinking I need something with a little more reach. Does anyone carry a XD tactical? If so, what is your normal mode of carry and how easy is it to conceal. I will probably continue carrying the Kel-tec during the work day unless I can find a way to carry a full size pistol comfortably and concealed. I really want the new 45 GAP. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You shouldn't "need" the tactical to get a little more reach for self-defense. The 4" Service model is more than capable of good groups at 25 yards for the average shooter and easier to conceal for the average person. If you somehow feel the need to engage targets from much farther than that, I'd question your motives for carrying.

A longer barrel doesn't necessarily mean more accuate and greater reach. I'm sure there are guys on here that nail man-sized targets from much farther than 25 yards with the 3" SC. I'd worry more about your particular training with your weapon of choice.

I'd love to give you an opinion on the .45 GAP, but alas...I have yet to experience one. Hopefully soon...

·
Registered
311 Posts
I carry the Tactical, although I did not buy it for this purpose. I use it with a Tucker gun leather "Answer" holster and it is sweet. The only gripe I have carrying it is that the grip sticks out above your ass when you bend over. This is the case with the 4" model as well though since the only difference between the 2 is 1" of extra barrel which goes down your pant leg. But like Hornetsnest said, all 3 models will reach out and touch someone in the majority of any firefight. Hell if i'm not mistaken the average defensive shooting is within less than 10 feet or so.
hope this helps.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Houndawg75 said:
I am considering purchasing a new xd for daily carry. Right now I carry a Kel-tec 3AT or a Taurus 605, but am thinking I need something with a little more reach. Does anyone carry a XD tactical? If so, what is your normal mode of carry and how easy is it to conceal. I will probably continue carrying the Kel-tec during the work day unless I can find a way to carry a full size pistol comfortably and concealed. I really want the new 45 GAP. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Even the SC will give you a lot more accuracy than the Kel-Tec out to any practical range in a defense situation, and it'll be a lot more comfortable than the Tactical.

http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=19099

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My only reason for wanting more reach is for target shooting and better groups. I want a gun that can do it all. My 2 carry guns now are fine for under 10 yard shooting but I enjoy being able to take those longer shots at the range and still keep decent groups. I certainly don't expect to engage a bad guy further than a few feet but I do want a gun with better accuracy and to get that I need better than a 2 1/2 inch barrel. I've got a savage striker in .17hmr that get dime sized groups at a hundred yards. Its lots of fun to shoot but its not the same as a shooting a bigger caliber with iron sights.

·
Registered
513 Posts
The Service and SC will both give you 3" groups out to 25yrds. I like the Tactical but it is just a little top heavy for me. I think you will find your answer with the Service or SC. As for the 45GAP I would stick to 9mm, 40S&W or 357sig. I dont find much use for the GAP round in my shooting. There are already plenty of calibers that will get the job done and I have thought that Glock "came up with a solution" to a non existant problem. I will probably offend some around here that have the 45GAP and that is not what I am trying to do. It is that I do not have a use for that particular round.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
The 4" can do it all. I use mine for IPSC and am required to hit out to 35 yards. The 4 is more concealable than the 5". I do wear my 5" occasionally but really don't like to as it starts to dig into my leg with my IWB. The 4 is lighter and more comfortable for all day.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I get reasonable groups out to 100 yards (yes, yards) with my Sig P229, which is similar in barrel length to the 4" XD. I can hit a stationary man sized target at that distance. I haven't tried my XD40 at that distance yet, but I am confident that it would be as accurate as the Sig.

Not that this would be any kind of real world defensive situation, but it shows that pistols can be surprisingly accurate. In fact, the pistols are vastly more accurate than the operator IMHO.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Fly-Sig said:
I get reasonable groups out to 100 yards (yes, yards) with my Sig P229, which is similar in barrel length to the 4" XD. I can hit a stationary man sized target at that distance. I haven't tried my XD40 at that distance yet, but I am confident that it would be as accurate as the Sig.

Not that this would be any kind of real world defensive situation, but it shows that pistols can be surprisingly accurate. In fact, the pistols are vastly more accurate than the operator IMHO.
Offhand? If so, you're a darn good shot. I used to be able to hit at distance with my 6 1/2 inch Ruger Blackhawk with a rest but that was 25-30 years ago and I practiced a lot. I'm not sure I can see the sights on the Ruger anymore but I should go out to the range and play with it. It's been a long time since I've shot the Ruger. I don't think there's any way I could hit anything with my XD40 at 100 yards. The trigger isn't nearly as good on the XD as it is on the Ruger.

WyoBob

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hawnddowg75-

I own a P3AT and XD service model. The XD will certainly take care of any accuracy concern s you have but man it is a big step up size-wise (weight too). Perhaps a XD SC would fit you needs and be a good compromise: smaller than a Tactical, more accurate than the Kel-Tec, more ammo capacity than either the Kel-Tec or the Taurus.

I can carry the XD comfortably for an entire day but, that depends a lot on body size, holsters you daily routine etc.

Good luck, I know choosing just one XD is hard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts